Ex-Facebook Exec. Plagued by Guilt: "Ripping Apart Society"

Social media is a blight on society and one of the reasons the internet has been getting shittier and more soulless.

I have a theory that it's an ever-shrinking trap. Google is pulling together our data bits into a profile that will stand up to court trial as we speak. Once the right political party and/or religious group gains control of it all, with bank accounts, investments, your house security, car remote etc. See ya.

Just to clarify: you watch too many political persuasions on youtube, like too many posts by somre person, involve yourself on twitter, etc. etc.

Even all of our posts show up on google when you search a username.

Last edited:
I rarely post on fb; I don't even wish people hbd anymore.

That's smart. I think the smartest people in the world are those who get a hold of hard-copy books and whatever else in the next few years and jump ship on the internet's supercomputer except where absolutely necessary.

I mostly use facebook to read news and tag my mates on some stupid memes. I almost never post anything.

I deleted the facebook app on my phone a while ago because you're always tempted to clic (and waste your time). It can be a bad addiction.

Venture capitalist Chamath Palihapitiya, Facebook’s former head of user growth, told the Stanford Graduate School of Business that he feels “tremendous guilt” over Facebook’s divisive role in society and deep regret over his involvement with the company's work.

Highlights:
- "Former Facebook president Sean Parker expressed fears over what the social network programming is “doing to our children’s brains.”

- FB was purposely developed to be addictive, using the “social-validation feedback loop."

- Facebook encourages “fake, brittle popularity” that drives people to keep sharing posts that they think will gain other people’s approval.

-“Even though we feigned this whole line of, like, ‘There probably aren’t any really bad unintended consequences,’ I think in the back, deep, deep recesses of our minds, we kind of knew something bad could happen.”

- “My solution is I just don’t use these tools [any social media] anymore,” Palihapitiya said. “I haven’t for years. It’s created huge tension with my friends…I guess I kind of innately didn’t want to get programmed.” He also doesn’t allow his children to use social networks, he added.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/12/chamath-palihapitiya-facebook-society/
I've been anti-facebook since I first heard of it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted at times just to keep tabs on old friends and acquaintances, but logic always wins out in the end.

You can't find me on FB, never opened account.
I remember when it was new craze, every single coworker in my former company had it(about 50), but me.
My reasoning was and I quote:"It's fucking stupid".
Everybody thought I was weirdo because of that.
Agreed. I had a myspace back in the day to keep up with ex girlfriends and relatives before I was married. Then all of a sudden there was a mass exodus of everyone to facebook. Im thinking to myself this whole thing is stupid, why am I going to take my time to create a whole new site about me? Also, I never let my kids use it. There are better tool for them tjat dont involve them giving out their info and are educational.

The internet was better when everyone was anonymous.

Venture capitalist Chamath Palihapitiya, Facebook’s former head of user growth, told the Stanford Graduate School of Business that he feels “tremendous guilt” over Facebook’s divisive role in society and deep regret over his involvement with the company's work.

Highlights:

- FB was purposely developed to be addictive, using the “social-validation feedback loop."

- Facebook encourages “fake, brittle popularity” that drives people to keep sharing posts that they think will gain other people’s approval.

-
-

http://fortune.com/2017/12/12/chamath-palihapitiya-facebook-society/

@Son of Jamin @HockeyBjj

Back in the day I almost fell for that crap like I rant and post new stuff I get on FB even just simple things like a cheap cell phone I post it there, then I notice I am still fucking poor other people have better stuff like nicer houses or Cars then

I started working and become a private music tutor for a very rich family I realized these uber rich people don't brag at Facebook, they don't humble brag shit. Unlike some of my colleagues who would post pictures of a starbucks cup infront of their dash board, I realize real rich people don't do stuff like that so stop doing the same too as I felt it just made me look more poor.

Now that I am more financially capable I could easily brag about stuff I just got but I don't do it cause it just feels lame, I don't mind other people doing as I don't really bother to check their FB profiles, I mainly use mine to connect with the music industry heck I just got a $1,200 worth guitar a few weeks ago and I haven't posted that in my timeline yet. I don't think I ever will there is no point my other friends don't won't give a shit.

Oh its also good way to attract entitled brats on social media who would literally ask you for stuff and start insulting you if you don't give them any!

One positive aspect of Facebooks is it exposed your imbecile "friends" who have nothing to do but repost blatant fake news from some blogger site while ranting all day how the mainstream media is all biased and fake news. Like some people taking political cues from a fucking mall educated prostitute!

I just feel sorry for the kids in school whose parents put up pictures of them when they should to stay anonymous.

Other kids dissing their moms and entire family, unlimited ammunition. Kind of shit which will make a choirboy pull out a knife.

Same goes for adults really. You can make enemies just like that and suddenly a lot of information is out there about you. Plus shithead wives and girlfriends insisting all that shit be put online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back