F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules... Thanks Trump.

Your post just comes across as someone with confirmation bias.

And net neutrality has been a topic of discussion and concern way before trump came along. People spoke of how important and necessary it was before trump. So, don't kid yourself that people are kicking up a fuss because it's trump behind it. People are genuinely concerned because of the potential ramifications of losing NN.

I don't know enough about about net neutrality to really have a firm opinion on it.....just an observation that for me it worked fine in the past (pre-net neutrality) and didn't understand everyone freaking out.. It seems like people freak out about everything now. Maybe I should be worried but life is to short. I'll wait to freak out if my cable bill raises. I can see the potential for harm but for me it just seems like a potential. I'll wait and see since I don't know enough to make an informed opinion. It's just my observation that everything was fine (for me) prior to net neutrality. Regardless, maybe I should be worried but for now I'll wait and see. I respect everyone's right to be concerned or not concerned about this issue. I probably shouldn't have posted in a thread on a topic I know little to nothing about....it's just the late night show clips and news clips about it are so one sided and I didn't/don't get it.

Peace

Why am I a prick (cunt would be better) simply because I expressed my views (didn't claim to be an expert) and asked questions? Sorry to upset you but your emotions are your own. Peace, love, freedom and happiness to all.

edit: serious, I don't think I have ever been rude to anyone on this site. Civility is underrated.
Civility my ass. Dismissing arguments as boys crying wolf because of your perception within your own little bubble experience, when they have damn good reason to believe that net neutrality was preventing real attempts at damaging internet service for people which you refuse to acknowledge, is completely the opposite of civil discourse. A veneer of politeness is a great place to take a shit.

I don't know enough about about net neutrality to really have a firm opinion on it.....just an observation that for me it worked fine in the past (pre-net neutrality) and didn't understand everyone freaking out.. It seems like people freak out about everything now. Maybe I should be worried but life is to short. I'll wait to freak out if my cable bill raises. I can see the potential for harm but for me it just seems like a potential. I'll wait and see since I don't know enough to make an informed opinion. It's just my observation that everything was fine (for me) prior to net neutrality. Regardless, maybe I should be worried but for now I'll wait and see. I respect everyone's right to be concerned or not concerned about this issue. I probably shouldn't have posted in a thread on a topic I know little to nothing about....it's just the late night show clips and news clips about it are so one sided and I didn't/don't get it.

Peace
You need to realize that “well the internet was fine before the rules” is a really really wrong position. The rules were only instituted when the ISPs announced their intentions to change the internet from how it always was, and the rules kept it like it always was. So “well it was fine before the rules” is ignoring the context of why the rules were instituted - to KEEP it fine!

It’s like a farmer notices a bunch of coyotes moving in to the area so he builds a fence to protect his sheep, and then his asshole neighbor goes on and on about how the farmer didn’t need a fence for years. Well yeah, but then the farmer did need a fence, and the fence wasn’t pointless! And just because no sheep were eaten while the fence was up and no sheep were eaten before the fence was up doesn’t mean that if you take it down NOW that no sheep will be eaten!

You need to realize that “well the internet was fine before the rules” is a really really wrong position. The rules were only instituted when the ISPs announced their intentions to change the internet from how it always was, and the rules kept it like it always was. So “well it was fine before the rules” is ignoring the context of why the rules were instituted - to KEEP it fine!

It’s like a farmer notices a bunch of coyotes moving in to the area so he builds a fence to protect his sheep, and then his asshole neighbor goes on and on about how the farmer didn’t need a fence for years. Well yeah, but then the farmer did need a fence, and the fence wasn’t pointless! And just because no sheep were eaten while the fence was up and no sheep were eaten before the fence was up doesn’t mean that if you take it down NOW that no sheep will be eaten!

I'm going to try to use sheep more often in my examples now.

Makes sense but I'll still wait and see since there is nothing I can do about it.
Thanks for explaining and being polite. I prefer logical explanations like yours and some others here unlike that poster that just insults me or rather civil discourse (which actually wants to support the appeal of NN but that would be an emotional response so rather than that, I will instead just wait and see even though I can understand your concerns which seem logical and valid.

Cheers and I'm out of this thread since I can't debate on it (can just state my experiences and opinions but not informed enough to debate it) due to my lack of expertise.

So huge dominating company's like Google, YouTube and Facebook censor right leaning material and it's "bro they are a private company they can do what they like, if you don't like it use a different company"

But now ISP's like Comcast, Cox might want to charge Netflix more for all that bandwidth they take without paying the difference of usage and it's "This is evil we need the government to save our $$$"

Weird logic, the only thing I am concerned about is if all the ISP's team up and roll out some sorry prices and policies but I would imagine they would get sued for that.

Weird logic, the only thing I am concerned about is if all the ISP's team up and roll out some sorry prices and policies but I would imagine they would get sued for that.

That's not how it will start out. We don't have Net Neutrality laws here in Oz, but our lack of massively vertically integrated ISPs, and the fact that the national network has been a public-private partnership (first with the copper network of our national telco Telstra, then the fibre roll out with the NBN), means it's structurally less of an issue.
Even so, ISPs have data limited plans, with access to certain sites they have a relationship with (or own) excluded from that quota. Including "bundles" with voip or TV streaming services. That's where it starts. The continuation of that will be ISPs operating like cable TV companies (they are the same companies in the US after all), with the same balkanisation of internet services, subscription access and barriers to entry which that entails.
That will change the nature of the internet, because the open nature of the medium is what has determined the content to this point. Of course media giants and "Old Media" don't want to lose their domination to a decentralised or democratised "new media".

Saw this perfectly summed up in a FB comment:

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm sure there were perfectly good reasons to overturn net neutrality. For one, there's... [To see more of this comment, please upgrade your service to Forums Platinum for only $49.99/month].

The good news with Republicans passing wildly unpopular legislation like corporate taxes, healthcare repeal, and being in power during this FCC decision (even if corrupt dems voted for it too) they're going to get rolled in 2018.

Think i'm ready to call Dems taking the Senate.
Passing 1 of these things they could skate though, but all 3 piling up against the average middle class person no way. Add in Bannon challenging establishment Repubs with batshit crazy candidates the Dems shouldn't be able to screw this up.

If HD streaming wasn't a thing then net neutrality would be a non-issue.

This all came to rise because of people wanting more pixels on their screen because they can't possibly enjoy a movie or a video without seeing every exact detail. And there is seemingly no end in sight... 8K and 16K are already out there, 32K is coming... and it's just a continuous exponential increase in size with less and less difference.

Honestly, why do people need to watch a drama movie in 4K? This is the root problem, but people don't want to take any personal responsibility so they blame a corporation for the sins of many.

If HD streaming wasn't a thing then net neutrality would be a non-issue.

This all came to rise because of people wanting more pixels on their screen because they can't possibly enjoy a movie or a video without seeing every exact detail. And there is seemingly no end in sight... 8K and 16K are already out there, 32K is coming... and it's just a continuous exponential increase in size with less and less difference.

Honestly, why do people need to watch a drama movie in 4K? This is the root problem, but people don't want to take any personal responsibility so they blame a corporation for the sins of many.

That's really only the start of it (along with voip). Big Data applications and the Internet Of Things will also massively change if preferential or paid performance becomes a factor and hence a barrier to entry.

Civility my ass. Dismissing arguments as boys crying wolf because of your perception within your own little bubble experience, when they have damn good reason to believe that net neutrality was preventing real attempts at damaging internet service for people which you refuse to acknowledge, is completely the opposite of civil discourse. A veneer of politeness is a great place to take a shit.
Why get upset when someone sees things differently than you?

Yes, your concerns are valid. But to say that anyone who disagrees with you must live in a "bubble experience" is pretty damn arrogant if you ask me.

Last edited:
god damn the head of the fcc is such a tool. hes just straight trolling now. its not like some random moron on a forum trolling or even a blowhard who gets off on his own ego like ben shapiro. its the head off the fcc. yes youll still be able to do all this shit but at what price?

I want to nerd bash this dork so hard
<mma3>

Where did you read this?
Congress can and will overturn this. If they don't, then I guess we know where they stand.

Not with the people, but with the money. What are we going to do about it?

This is something that matters. A really good test. If this goes through, then be mad and I'll be mad with you.

Government shouldn't control the Internet. If this happens, we know that our voice means nothing and it's a lost cause.

Can the President veto this one?
Congress and Trump ain’t touching this.

" oh my God you so dumb you trust the government to do the right thing?"- some War Room conservative.

" oh my God you so dumb. Why don't you trust this multibillion-dollar Corporation that's only beholden to its stockholders will do the right thing totally." - the same War Room conservative

I think you're boned bud.

They'll be able to price different packages based on their whims. I think you'd be in a better spot with more than one provider in your area.

That sucks internet used to be simple now you have to pay extra to visit certain sites? And another extra to access those site with much higher speed?

I hope they choked to death!

It makes sense to me, if you pay more for a better service it leads to improved quality overall. Rinside seats cost more than nosebleed seats but because rinside seats are disproportionatly expensive it enables the price to be way lower for nosebleed seats. Everyone will be better off because internet providers do best when their customers are happy and by charging more for certain aspects of the service price will go down for lower income folks and feature sets will go up.

It makes sense to me, if you pay more for a better service it leads to improved quality overall. Rinside seats cost more than nosebleed seats but because rinside seats are disproportionatly expensive it enables the price to be way lower for nosebleed seats. Everyone will be better off because internet providers do best when their customers are happy and by charging more for certain aspects of the service price will go down for lower income folks and feature sets will go up.

I guess that's why America currently pays more for less than comparable nations and the only "feature sets" ISPs could introduce is various ways of choking internet speeds and subscription services.

I appreciate your explanations and examples. Prior to net neutrality and during it, I streamed tv shows and movies from free sites (can't name them because I don't want to get in trouble). However I also have Netflixs but rarely use it due to finding the same videos elsewhere that work better (my MAC has issues with Netflixs and so to use it I have to switch from Safari to Google Chrome). Until it affects me directly, which I don't think it will (but I maybe wrong) I'm not going to get all worked up about it. It seems like anytime Trump does anything, people claim it's the end of the world. The sun rose and set today and my internet worked fine. I can't figure out what is pure hysteria vs genuine real concerning issues. It's like the little boy (or gender neutral person) who cried wolf (or some other applicable animal).
You apparently forget that eventually the boy who cried wolf was eaten by one.

Back