Media Fans have had enough of dumb grounded hand/knee stalling, want based Asian One/Rizin ruleset

Get rid of this dumbass rule?

• Total voters
the way knees to the head of a grounded fighter spiced up takedown attempts in pride....

It seems people think ONE allow soccer kicks, and head stomps. That is not true. ONE BANNED soccer kicks in 2016. Why did they ban them?

“There’s bad publicity. If we really want to go mainstream. People will have to understand that we have to make certain steps,” Sityodtong said.“Everything we are doing, especially with the investment from Temasek and Heliconia, it has really raised the bar for everything that we do in terms of institutionalization of the sport.”

https://www.flocombat.com/articles/5055737-one-championship-clarify-soccer-kick-ban

ONE never allowed head stomps. Even the supposedly ideal org bowed to public pressure 7 years ago.

The “mainstream” will never accept soccer kicks, head stomps, or knees to the head of grounded opponents.

NY would never have sanctioned pro mma again with any of those strikes allowed. I suspect many states/provinces, etc Athletic Commissions would never have sanctioned mma since the Zuffa era with those strikes allowed. There is overwhelming bashing of slap fighting in here. But some of you people think kicking people in the face would go over any better now?

I saw a Rizin event once a few years ago. Maybe it wasn’t a good card, idk. But it didn’t really grab my attention. And the events happen in Japan’s timezone. Usually in the wee hours after midnight where I live. It’s just not my thing watching hours of mma at that time of day.

They allow stomps, kicks, and knees to the head of grounded fighters.

So the solution seems clear to me. Quit talking about rules that are NEVER going to happen in the UFC. Especially since the very same rules are not legal anywhere in North America except for Colorado, IF the org wants to use them. I tried searching for major jurisdictions that allow them in North America, and nothing came up.

And just go watch Rizin FF. Almost exactly like Pride. And much fewer shows like the earlier modern era of the UFC. I believe they had about 12 events in 2022. No shitty fight nights. Just like the 10+ ppv events the UFC had back in the day.

Interesting trivia. Perhaps..

Victor Cui Co-founder of ONE. And it’s first CEO was born in Edmonton, my city.

And his extensive background of being involved with major sports media for 15 years before ONE was very valuable. He held senior positions involved with the Olympic Games, the Commonwealth Games, the X Games, the PGA, ESPN Star Sports, and Martial Combat. As well as involvement with many more A-List sports media properties.

His family left Edmonton when he was 5 to live in Africa. And returned to Edmonton when he was 13. He graduated from the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Then did some postgraduate studies in Vancouver, before striking out into the international sports scene.

In January 2021 Victor was named President, and CEO (not owner) of the Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL.

The team is now named the Elks. After bullshit grandstanding by a certain First Nations leader lobbied the politically correct clowns of Canada. Even though there was overwhelming support from the Inuit First Nations peoples of the northwest to keep the name of the team the Eskimos. They were proud to be associated with the flagship franchise and it’s major success since joining the CFL in 1949.

78% of Western Inuit supported keeping the Eskimo name. The farther East you went the more the support dropped. In other words people and places that had zero to do with Edmonton didn’t like the name.

Finally after the politically correct started lobbying the Sponsors of the Eskimos, and the CFL. The team didn’t have any choice. And I guess the world is a much better place now.

Victor is about 5 years younger than myself. And likewise has very fond memories of watching the Eskimos play live as a child. Like the sign in the locker room used to say..

AEEE82-BF-11-E3-4-ACD-96-AE-649-B4-A150204.jpg

D3705435-4946-43-DF-A48-F-718499-AA09-FF.jpg

7-DA78-ACB-A1-C4-4695-A75-E-32-A4-CA593-ED0.jpg

Some colours never fade. Green & Gold forever. I’ll call them the Elks right about the same day hell freezes over.

Everybody always argues that legalizing grounded strikes wouldn't be safe because they view it from the POV of the fighter on top instead of the fighter on the bottom.

You all forget that grounded strikes will also make all upkicks legal again. Which is way more needed to even the playing field as it's ridiculous how the rules favour the top fighter. Sure they presently can't soccer kick or knee, but they've got way more options than the guy on the bottom does as nearly every bottom strike that could actually cause damage is banned. Upkicks would at least give them a strike with any meaningful power.

Grounded strikes being legalized actually help even the playing field.

conor won't have any panic wrestling to fall back on when it means he'll be eating a knee to the cranium for his sloppy shots

Just a simple miscommunication when Henry said to "bend the knee" Aljo thought he said "bait the knee" he was just trying to oblige Henry is all.

Did you see what Anderson Silva did to Rich Franklin? Or what Jorge did to Askren? Should that be legal?

To be honest you look back to Pride and there arent even that many really nasty finishes via knees or soccer kicks, the first show when people werent ready for them you had Saku/Wand 1 and Coleman/Goes but after that? only really Sergei/Reem comes to mind and Sergei had a dislocated shoulder there.

I've wanted to scrap the whole knees to grounded opponent thing since Gegard vs Weidman fight.

I cannot fucking believe it was even entertained that Gegard should have been stripped of that win. You're gonna remove someone's ability to cleanly knee someone in the face just cause their fucking finger tips are touching the ground? Here's an idea, DON'T BE BENT OVER LIKE THAT IN AN MMA FIGHT. It's fucking ridiculous why it's even a thing.

Knees are one of the striker's best tools against wrestlers and they don't even fucking let them use them against them.

Part of the issue is IMHO if you have soccer kicks and knees you NEED good refs, refs who know when they step in and end fights fast.

Yes, I support it in the UFC and when fights are sanctioned/staffed by the major ACs...but I can also see an expanded rules set being a nightmare on the regional circuit in some states...

We've always preferred pride rules for kicks and knees to a downed opponent lol

In the UFC, the North South position is basically a stall position that looks like a 69.
The North South position in pride was one of the most dangerous positions to be caught in.

Yes, I support it in the UFC and when fights are sanctioned/staffed by the major ACs...but I can also see an expanded rules set being a nightmare on the regional circuit in some states...

Really you could argue thats the kind of enviroment that existed in Pride, the top org had those rules but most of the smaller orgs(outside of Brazil anyway) didnt.

I would say in Pride as well I think the reffing standard was very high, the level of damage they let fighters take was I think a bit more than average in the UFC today BUT I don't remember many situations were the ref seemed to be clueless that he was allowing an extended beating.

I spose the rules themselves actually made that job a bit easier because people couldn't turtle taking damage, if you went on the ground belly down and didnt drop back to guard it was a sign you were done.

Disagree 100%. The rules are in effect to protect the fighters health. It is good for the fighters and good for the fans. Your favorite fighter is still active because his head was not crushed by an opponents knee.

I do not understand these threads; almost as dumb as the "all fighters should be allowed to take steroids" threads.
A flying knee is just as dangerous, so is a spinning elbow. You are just fixed on the current rules and think everything else is banned for a good reason. But it was a faulty ruleset and a compromise because of the legal history of mma. Now that its accepted, the rules need to be revamped

Grounded knees, kicks, stomps, and elbows all legal. Also allow 12 to 6 elbows. Problem solved imo.

I'm cool with no soccer kicks but I do wish they allowed knees to a grounded opponent. That will shift the whole stalling on the ground stuff and make them think otherwise. So yes to knees on the ground. hehe.

We were right from the beginning. BAN MMA !!!
I saw teenagers playing MMA and they were talking about demons and shit.
Also did you know some kid killed himself because his character lost to a crucifix by Ciryl Gane in UFC 4 ?!
It's really a critical hit to Christianity !!

I think soccer kicks can never be legal, the highlights will be too brutal for the general public and will for sure create outrage as it looks like soccer hooligan bs.

Grounded knees seem ok though.
I think 3oclock to 9 soccer kicks to a grounded opponent are okay but not 12 to 6 stomps to the head of a grounded opponent squishing their brains into the floor like an American history X curb stomp.

12 to 6 knee drops to the head of a grounded opponent might be sketch too but then i remembered it’s just a D damage move…the n64 game proved that years ago so it’s fine… actually wait a sec a curb stomp to the head is also a D so never mind.. legalize it all…

okay final answer is should be illegal to run before a 12 to 6 kick or knee to the head on the ground because then it goes from being a D damage ground kick to being an S+ damage hulk hogan atomic leg drop. We’d see the first death in the octagon within the next card if they legalized it today. It goes without saying that running before a 12 to 6 elbow should be illegal even to the body cause the run turns it into the S+ damage people’s elbow.

Last edited:
Back