Far east - why we haven't fighters from there?

Charnel2500

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
In China, Japan, Korea Thailand martial arts are very popular. Karate, aikido, judo teakwondo etc.

In my opinion Asia is a center of martial arts.

Why we have only few good fighters in the UFC? White and black guys are better in fighting or something like that? In west we have better fighting style like boxing, wrestling etc?

Size. Far east athletes tend to be smaller in size than Western athletes. You also don't see many African or Middle Eastern mma fighters because mma simply isn't popular in those parts of the world.

MMA isn't actually popular at all right now in those areas with the exception of Japan and even then it's still quite niche.

They are too busy practicing mathematics and doing regular life things in a more efficient way than American counterparts.

Size. Far east athletes tend to be smaller in size than Western athletes.

They should introduce a way to separate fighters based on how big they are. I think body weight would be the best metric. What do you think of this idea?

Steven Segal isnt letting them out of his closet. Theyre too busy marvelling at his aikido.

Size. Far east athletes tend to be smaller in size than Western athletes.
But in this case we have lightweight, featherweight, bantamweight and flyweight division and only 2 good fighters Doo Ho Choi and Horiguchi (who abandoned UFC)

But in this case we have lightweight, featherweight, bantamweight and flyweight division and only 2 good fighters Doo Ho Choi and Horiguchi (who abandoned UFC)
Even when you take body weight into account far eastern fighters are still smaller in other ways like for example height.

There are an extraordinary amount of talented Koreans and Japanese competing internationally in MMA and a fair number of them in the UFC, this is weak even by Shertard standards. Asians are generally shorter so a higher proportion of their talent falls into lower weight classes, some of which don't exist in the UFC.

I don't get the impression that MMA is currently a big deal for South Korea or Japan, but they are decently represented despite that.

Here are a bunch of South Korean fighters in the UFC:
  • "Stun Gun" Dong Hyun Kim
  • "The Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung
  • Hyun Gyu "The Ace" Lim
  • "The Korean Superboy" Doo Ho Choi
  • Kyung Ho "Mr. Perfect" Kang
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Asian fighters get fucked in the UFC. They never translate well into the western MMA world because they don't have the correct steroid dealers.

In China, Japan, Korea Thailand martial arts are very popular. Karate, aikido, judo teakwondo etc.

In my opinion Asia is a center of martial arts.

Why we have only few good fighters in the UFC? White and black guys are better in fighting or something like that? In west we have better fighting style like boxing, wrestling etc?
I guess over there it takes someone with special talent to make it big whereas here, you could have a 14-14 record and fight a main event in the UFC.

Asian fighters get fucked in the UFC. They never translate well into the western MMA world because they don't have the correct steroid dealers.

is this what it is? I always felt like asian fighters always had really suspect chins, maybe a genetic thing

they may have an "okay" streak, but once they fight elite talent they always seem to get KO'd

exception Korean Zombie

does anyone remember Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshida? Yoshida was like 11-3 and going up against Rumble looked like it was the biggest mismatch in the history of the sport

and people think Bruce Lee would have done well in UFC

he would have to be a featherweight or bantamweight for starters, and guys like Mendes or Dillashaw would have a field day with him

Blame LARPing for most TMA not being able to translate into mma properly

There are an extraordinary amount of talented Koreans and Japanese competing internationally in MMA and a fair number of them in the UFC, this is weak even by Shertard standards. Asians are generally shorter so a higher proportion of their talent falls into lower weight classes, some of which don't exist in the UFC.

I don't get the impression that MMA is currently a big deal for South Korea or Japan, but they are decently represented despite that.

Here are a bunch of South Korean fighters in the UFC:
  • "Stun Gun" Dong Hyun Kim
  • "The Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung
  • Hyun Gyu "The Ace" Lim
  • "The Korean Superboy" Doo Ho Choi
  • Kyung Ho "Mr. Perfect" Kang
giphy.gif
You're right. South Korea is a small country, but have a quite good fighters. But look at China. Huge country, 3-4 times more than USA, martial arts tradition and no MMA fighters wtf?

In the UFC your featherweight fighters are cutting from like 165lbs and can be freaking 5ft 10.

The leech is good and hes from China.

Back