Far east - why we haven't fighters from there?

Nah, like academic and economic success.

rich-kid-asian-boy-u-s-dollar-bank-notes-31512783.jpg
At the expense of virtually every second of day light, social life, mental health, physical health, and happiness. Oh yeah baby! SAT scores!

joe lauzon gave an interview in 2016 regarding travel expenses. not sure if this applies to all fighters, but i imagine it does.

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/joe-lauzon/joe-lauzon-breaks-costs-traveling-ufc-fight/

a few excerpts:

“UFC PAYS FOR TWO FLIGHTS,” HE EXPLAINED. “FIGHTER + 1 CORNER IN MOST CASES."

“THEY UFC PAYS FOR ONE HOTEL ROOM."

“THE UFC GOES GIVE PER DIEM FOR FOOD. I THINK ITS LIKE $600 FOR THE WEEK. I THINK ITS CONSIDERED $50/DAY FOR 6 DAYS, FOR 2 PEOPLE.”

I would never fight outside of my country lol.

At the expense of virtually every second of day light, social life, mental health, physical health, and happiness. Oh yeah baby! SAT scores!

I've lived in East Asia for parts of my life due to work reasons. There are certain cultural differences, of course, but you find the same gamut of human beings as you do anywhere else. There are high school dropouts, lazy teenagers, potheads and manual laborers in Korea and Japan. Education is culturally more valued there than in America (not a bad thing, by the way), but it's not like East Asians are a difference species.

Speaking of social life, mental health and physical health, people in East Asia statistically have wider and more stable networks of extended families and close friends. They also live longer and are healthier than Americans and Western Europeans (Hong Kong and Japan have significantly longer lifespans than Americans; I don't know what the statistics are for other places like Korea but they probably live long as well).

Mental health is a more complicated issue. Suicide rates are pretty high, but you also have to note that the idea of killing yourself if you fail or if a situation is hopeless is deeply rooted in the preexisting culture and isn't necessarily because they're too well educated. They also don't have a religious tradition which tells them that suicide = hell. Suicide rates were also higher in Rome before Christianization because suicide wasn't considered a sin.

Some of the stereotypes have a kernel of truth, of course, but by and large the richer places in Asia - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore - are great places to live and the people seem happy and healthy. Note also that Western perceptions are often colored by our experience with Asian American immigrants - they are usually better educated, harder working and more ambitious than average Asians actually living in Asia.

This is partly because education and profession are taken into account when authorizing immigration and visas, meaning garbagemen have a harder time coming to America than doctors. It's also partly because immigration from East Asia to America is a difficult, stressful and expensive experience and the Asians who spend money and put up with the process to come over are highly motivated to make themselves and their children successful. Again, this isn't always or necessarily a bad thing unless you're being too extreme - Asian Americans are richer than White Americans, which is quite rare for an immigrant group.

I'd say a lot of it has to do with economy. The best people make the most bank in the US, so they open their schools in US.

Also, American (edit: Collegiate) wrestling is one of the main keys to being successful in MMA... & US has been training that much more than the eastern people. It was decided in UFC 1 that Kung Fu etc... falls to a wrestler every time. The Kung Fu guy has to "MMA his game" out to make it.

Last edited:
Why we have only few good fighters in the UFC? White and black guys are better in fighting or something like that?

Strong mis-information in this thread. No, they are not "better in fighting". Blanket statements like this just breed ignorance.

As with most things in life you have to follow the money trail. And here in this case the fact is that MMA in Asia still takes a huge backseat to striking sports like kickboxing and even boxing, which garner WAY more views/$$$. Asians rule in Muay Thai (obviously) and in lighter weight classes of kickboxing and boxing. Lots of sources also have Sittichai ranked as the P4P #1 kickboxer in the world. There's a whole realm of combat sports outside the UFC that is attracting the most Asian talent by way of bigger coffers.

As for the Asian talent actually trying to break through in MMA there have been improvements recently. But training methods and camps are still not at the cutting edge, which is understandable given the aforementioned lower popularity/$$ driving MMA development in Asia. Fighters like Horiguchi who cross train and are open to new methods are the ones who will find the most success within the MMA rule subset pioneered today by Americans.

Oh like depression and suicide?

The butthurt is strong with this one.

I'd say a lot of it has to do with economy. The best people make the most bank here, so they open their schools in US.

Also, American wrestling is one of the main keys to being successful in MMA... & US has been training that much more than the eastern people. It was decided in UFC 1 that Kung Fu etc... falls to a wrestler every time. The Kung Fu guy has to MMA his game out to make it.

"American" wrestling .... lol

Prime Aoki would have gotten close to a title.

Asian Americans are richer than White Americans, which is quite rare for an immigrant group.

Asian American communities are known to have stronger bonds. I knew some Korean people when I lived in Texas and their community had a structure to help get people immigrating there get on their feet. A rough basic of it was the community had system of lending a sizeable amount of money to someone starting a business, and when they were up an running supporting themselves, they made payments back. IIRC the payments amounted to twice the amount of the loan, and after that smaller payments were made as long as they were in business. This was to make the pool of money keep growing so they could keep doing the same thing over and over. Also, the businesses often had all family members as employees so housing costs were kept low, the family even having one car that everyone used. Sounded like there was a bit of trickery to get around minimum wage laws also.

"American" wrestling .... lol
This is copied from Wikipedia
"Collegiate wrestling has had so many influences from the wide variety of folk wrestling styles brought into the country that it has become distinctly "American."

I'm not saying that America invented the oldest form of combat. If your argument is that American wrestling developed from other countries... then lets go back to the pre-historic cave paintings that show them wrestling & so now all wrestling should here forth be known as "Pre-historic" wrestling because that was its origin. No.... that's not how it works... because the different rule sets that developed are exclusive to certain styles & I'm pointing out that the particular style that developed in America, is one of the strongest weapons in an MMA fight.

Perhaps the term "Collegiate" wrestling works better for you. It developed from "Catch" wrestling & various forms of "Folk" wrestling, but with the removal of submissions from the style... "Collegiate" wrestling really refined its ability to grapple. It differs from "Freestyle" wrestling in that Frestyle gets a quick stand up if a person is on the mat but not pinned. In Collegiate, the person must fight to get off the bottom & even gets points deducted if they stall. This is a huge difference for MMA preparation, as freestyle gets you out of the ground game… collegiate keeps you in it. You learn to ride the top better... or if you're the bottom guy, you learn to escape instead of stall. It also give the Collegiate wrestler more time on the ground where as freestyle is more of a standing grappling match that's re-set with-in little time on the mat.

It is this narrowed focus from the other styles of wrestling that the really good collegiate wrestlers are using so successfully in the UFC since as far back as Dan Severn.

Don't look now... at the list of current champions that are collegiate wrestlers...

Stipe
DC
Woodley
TJ
DJ

The divisions that don't have collegiate wrestlers as their champions.... have them in the ranks as top contenders.... & many of them are past champions.

Jon Jones, Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar, Curtiss Blaydes, Ferguson, Kevin Lee, Cody Garbrandt, Dom Cruz, Cejudo, Edgar, Mendez, Covington, Rockhold, Weidman etc...

Faber, Hendo, Chael, & Bader were all collegiate wrestlers & the list goes on & on & on of dominating collegiate wrestlers, I haven't even scratched the surface with who I've listed here....

...& there's a ton of champions from the past. Many of whom are straight up Legendz.
Hughes, Tito, Couture, Liddell, Coleman, Frye, Randleman, Ricco Rodrigez, Barnett, Mir, Rashad, Carwin, Evan Tanner, Pat Militech, Johnny Hendricks, Sean Sherk etc....

GSP did not compete as a collegiate wrestler, but he very obviously learned the style & used it as his key weapon which was so successful that he entered the legit GOAT conversation.

Collegiate wrestling is one of the strongest most dominating techniques in MMA.

If you disagree then maybe you can manage more than 2 fooking words & try & express yourself in an actual discussion instead of trying to be a smartass.

Last edited:
Asians are, for the most part, sub par athletically.
china dominated at the 2008 olympics. Japan always dominates in judo. Thailand produces the world's best kickboxers.

I think we will see more asian MMA stars within 10 years, mostly in the lighter weight classes

Probably something to do with a lack of wrestling outside of Japan.

is this what it is? I always felt like asian fighters always had really suspect chins, maybe a genetic thing.
Tell that to this guy.

UFC-Manila-Fox-Prelims_10.jpg

One of the best chins in the division.

This is copied from Wikipedia
"Collegiate wrestling has had so many influences from the wide variety of folk wrestling styles brought into the country that it has become distinctly "American."

I'm not saying that America invented the oldest form of combat. If your argument is that American wrestling developed from other countries... then lets go back to the pre-historic cave paintings that show them wrestling & so now all wrestling should here forth be known as "Pre-historic" wrestling because that was its origin. No.... that's not how it works... because the different rule sets that developed are exclusive to certain styles & I'm pointing out that the particular style that developed in America, is one of the strongest weapons in an MMA fight.

Perhaps the term "Collegiate" wrestling works better for you. It developed from "Catch" wrestling & various forms of "Folk" wrestling, but with the removal of submissions from the style... "Collegiate" wrestling really refined its ability to stay on top & control the opponent. It also gave them an inherent natural instinct to get up off the bottom & not be held down. It is this narrowed focus from the other styles of wrestling that the really good collegiate wrestlers are using so successfully in the UFC since as far back as Dan Severn.

Don't look now... but the list of current champions that are collegiate wrestlers...

Stipe
DC
Woodley
TJ
DJ

The divisions that don't have collegiate wrestlers as their champions.... have them in the ranks as top contenders.... & many of them are past champions.

Jon Jones, Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar, Curtiss Blaydes, Ferguson, Kevin Lee, Cody Garbrandt, Dom Cruz, Cejudo, Edgar, Mendez, Covington, Rockhold, Weidman etc...

Faber, Hendo, Chael, & Bader were all collegiate wrestlers & the list goes on & on & on of dominating collegiate wrestlers, I haven't even scratched the surface with who I've listed here....

...& there's a ton of champions from the past. Many of whom are straight up Legendz.
Hughes, Tito, Couture, Liddell, Coleman, Frye, Randleman, Ricco Rodrigez, Barnett, Mir, Rashad, Carwin, Evan Tanner, Pat Militech, Johnny Hendricks, Sean Sherk etc....

GSP did not compete as a collegiate wrestler, but he very obviously learned the style & used it as his key weapon which was so successful that he entered the legit GOAT conversation.

Collegiate wrestling is one of the strongest most dominating techniques in MMA.

If you disagree then maybe you can manage more than 2 fooking words & try & express yourself in an actual discussion instead of trying to be a smartass.
Its a fantastic fighting style
But the reason theres so many of them in the ufc is it largely recruits americans and its taught in most semi decent high schools ....simple!
That awnser to why there arent many asians ? the ufc doesnt recruit many ...its that straightforward!

Until theres some kind of offical criteria or outside ufc rankings used to get into the org the usual sherdog discussions of best style base ,nationalities, body shapes , guys from other sports crossing over etc are all b.s

In China, Japan, Korea Thailand martial arts are very popular. Karate, aikido, judo teakwondo etc.

In my opinion Asia is a center of martial arts.

Why we have only few good fighters in the UFC? White and black guys are better in fighting or something like that? In west we have better fighting style like boxing, wrestling etc?

because mma is still small as fuck.

kickboxing/boxing/MT and other sports >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mma in china, japan, korea, thailand wherever...

It's a combination of things:

1. See Tom Taylor's answer above. The UFC is America-centric. If you're not American and especially if you don't base yourself in America - or near America - you have less chance of exposure and support from the UFC. Dana White Lookin' For a Fight has never left US soil as far as I know, and that speaks volumes. Most of the great fighters in Asia don't have the financial means anyway to fly themselves and their teams over to America, and stay there for a while. So they sign with other orgs closer to home. I know, there are many Brazilians in the UFC, but who else are they gonna sign with besides Bellator?

2. Tradition. The traditional martial arts in the big martial arts countries go back hundreds and even thousands of years. They are firmly established as participant and spectator sports among the population at a deep level.

3. How is an Asian going to learn MMA when the only teacher around teaches only one martial arts skill?

4. Philosophy/Culture. I could be wrong here, but the ultimate goal of many high-level martial artists in Asia is not to enter and win competitions, but to develop mind, body, and self-defense skills to the highest possible level. It's a different attitude with some, certainly not all, martial artists.

Back