Fear of heights shouldn't be a phobia.

Anyone interested in fear, podcasts and horror should give The Magnus Archives a listen. Reading comments about ladders, thunderstorms, and deep water has me thinking of multiple episodes that focus directly on those.

Well don't go to Tmobile in Vegas. Shit is like climbing a ladder.
My nightmares are of falling all the way down to the bottom. I hoped when I ran up 8 flights of Old Trafford it might cure it but no.Still had the dream that I was going to perish with David Beckham watching me.

It’s funny, I’m NOT afraid of heights over water. I dive off cliffs, have jumped off lower bridges into water...Rope swings, water rides at the parks etc. with me it’s concrete below that gets me. I also don’t love 2nd floors of malls that are high and just have a small glass “wall” preventing you from death.

That was my thread from a few days ago. I'm gonna try and train it out of me, see how it goes. I was at a Billy Joel gig in MSG a few years ago and we were in the upper deck with the bit of glass in front of the seats. The old ladies just leaning on it made me anxious as fuck

I don't see at what point a fear of heights is irrational
person with legit phobia of heights would not jump into water from 3 meters or even just 2 meters high trampoline

would also panic doing easy stuff like use a ladder at home or do simple mountain hiking traits, and this status may compromise movements or even balance, wich can be dangerous... not much for the situation itself but for that person being mentally unable to handle it

person with legit phobia of heights would not jump into water from 3 meters or even just 2 meters high trampoline

would also panic doing easy stuff like use a ladder at home or do simple mountain hiking traits, and this status may compromise movements or even balance, wich can be dangerous... not much for the situation itself but for that person being mentally unable to handle it

I doubt there is a person alive who actually is afraid of 3 meters.

I doubt there is a person alive who actually is afraid of 3 meters.
Person with legit phobia would have problems jump even with trampoline just 1 meter above water level
The act of watch below and let themselves fall is opposite to their nature

would not put money on him/her jumping at all actually

their fear/panic is not proportional with the actual danger

Last edited:
I nearly drowned when I was pushed into a pool as a kid and I have still never learned to swim. I was in my late 30's before I could stand fully under the shower such that water was running over my face as well as the rest of my head--prior to then, never at the same time if I could avoid it--without reliving the feeling I was drowning. I'm now at the point I can dunk my head under water for a second or two but it takes some working up to lol.

This seems a good time to make the distinction between the cause of the recurring fear, which may not be irrational at all--e.g. anyone would be freaked out for a while after a near death experience of any kind--and the fear itself, which is by definition entirely irrational and caused by past events, not the trigger inducing the fear in the moment.

My uncle played sink-or-swim with me when I was two.

I sank.

It took years and special classes before I would go into the water after that.

I despise deep water. Don't want to be in the middle of the ocean, like ever. We know very little about it, and I have an overactive imagination.

I've got a weird phobia where underwater man-made objects kind of freak me out. Such as a shipwreck. I would never want to go scuba diving into a shipwreck. Or clean the underside of a boat. I don't even really like being up close to a large boat while I'm also in the water (or in a small boat, myself). Something about getting trapped under it, sucked down, etc.

No idea where this fear comes from.....I can't think of an experience in my life that would have caused it. I've never almost drowned, and I've always been a pretty good swimmer.

I despise deep water. Don't want to be in the middle of the ocean, like ever. We know very little about it, and I have an overactive imagination.

Thalassophobia (reddit.com)

My high school physic teacher said it's not the speed or height you're falling from, it's the rate of slowing down to the stop that counts, eg soft snow surface vs concrete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back