Fedor Emelianenko, Georges St. Pierre or Jon Jones - Who's the more complete fighter?

Out of these 3, who's the most complete fighter?

• Total voters
Jones busted for PEDs, he's not on the list for me. Fedor was my best, because he fought in HW where he was typically the smaller guy, but still managed to be dominant.

He fought UFC champions. I guess those are cans. Plus he beat all the HWs in pride, and pride had all the top fighters.
I see no Barnett or Kharitonov on his resume, i didn’t say the UFC champions he fought were cans, I said he fought not so great competition in PrideFC. His best wins in the org are Noguiera & Cro Cop. Yes he fouthtvformer UFC champions but overall his best wins are Nog, Mirko, Sylvia & Arlovski

Did Pride had all the top fighters though? When the PrideFC/UFC merger happened it showed that UFC fighters could have been competitive the entire time.

lmao

one of those "you only dominated for 10 yrs,why not 20 you fucking can,way to evolve" posts.
He struggle against Maldonado, no GOAT struggles to competition like that.

2 of the 3 fighters Fedor lost to in Strikeforce were former PRIDE fighters though.

Your argument would maybe make sense if Fedor had come to the UFC instead of Strikeforce, and lost to Cain and JDS or something. Undoubtedly Fedor Stans would say he lost because of decline while others would say he just wasn’t good enough to beat the new school of HWs; but that’s just not what happened.

As far as adding new tools? As far as adapting his style to the cage, that maybe has some truth. But that also can take time. Fedor had 30+ fights in his career already, all of them inside a ring. In terms of his MMA game, Fedor was always extremely well-rounded and was a more complete fighter than any of the guys he lost to in Strikeforce.

Your argument just doesn’t make any sense at all.
It makes sense when you realize the competition he fought hindered him to be the best, similar to Ben Askren.

2 of the 3 fighters Fedor lost to in Strikeforce were former PRIDE fighters though.

Your argument would maybe make sense if Fedor had come to the UFC instead of Strikeforce, and lost to Cain and JDS or something. Undoubtedly Fedor Stans would say he lost because of decline while others would say he just wasn’t good enough to beat the new school of HWs; but that’s just not what happened.

As far as adding new tools? As far as adapting his style to the cage, that maybe has some truth. But that also can take time. Fedor had 30+ fights in his career already, all of them inside a ring. In terms of his MMA game, Fedor was always extremely well-rounded and was a more complete fighter than any of the guys he lost to in Strikeforce.

Your argument just doesn’t make any sense at all.
The cage maybe played some part but I think a bigger part was decline, physical and motivational.

I feel like its something you see in almost all of the very best fighters across there careers that there styles get narrower with time and in Fedor's case I think that became a focus on getting standing finishes whilst his grappling ability declined, thats really what causes all his loses until his comeback years and years later.

I think its also often the case that when aging great fighters narrow there style they do so to beat a certain kind of opponent, looking for a big early finish against Sylvia and Arlovski for example I think was not a bad idea tactically but then doing so against Werdum was much more questionable.

The ultra aggressive grappler also I think tends to be the style which ages worst as well, it needs very high mobility and its very tough on the joints, people like Nog, Aoki, Cain. Shogun, etc all expereinced dropoff at younger ages than Fedor.

Last edited:
He struggle against Maldonado, no GOAT struggles to competition like that.
Anyone who hangs around too long can go through that

GSP and Fedor have both been finished with strikes and submissions.

Jones has not.

He is clearly the best and most complete fighter we've ever seen.

GSP and Fedor have both been finished with strikes and submissions.

Jones has not.

He is clearly the best and most complete fighter we've ever seen.

Jones lost 3 times to USADA. Plus he lost to a deaf guy.

I see no Barnett or Kharitonov on his resume, i didn’t say the UFC champions he fought were cans, I said he fought not so great competition in PrideFC. His best wins in the org are Noguiera & Cro Cop. Yes he fouthtvformer UFC champions but overall his best wins are Nog, Mirko, Sylvia & Arlovski

Did Pride had all the top fighters though? When the PrideFC/UFC merger happened it showed that UFC fighters could have been competitive the entire time.

The best fighters especially HW and LHW were in pride. Then strike force had the best HW. It was only after that they bought strike force was that they had the best.

It makes sense when you realize the competition he fought hindered him to be the best, similar to Ben Askren.
Ehh, we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one, it doesn’t add up to me.

What hindered Askren is that he was a very good wrestler who couldn’t do much else. He had a couple of subs in his arsenal for lower-level guys, but that’s it.

Fedor though was always a very complete fighter, and it just doesn’t make sense to me that fighting cans intermixed with top guys didn’t matter at all for the first 9 years or so of his career—after all, he was still beating Schilt, Herring, Nog, Randleman, Cro Cop, Hunt…but somehow it affects his ability to beat Werdum, Bigfoot, and Hendo in fights that happened 2 1/2 to 3 years after his last fight against a can (Choi on 12/31/07)? Makes no sense.

What makes more sense is that there were reports of injuries going as far back as 2005 and piling up thereafter, he lost in sambo in 2008m struggled some in wins against Arlovksi and Rogers in 2009, before ultimately losing in 2010.
That’s decline.

Gsp outstuck grapplers and outgrappled strikers.

Jones outwrestled wrestler and outstruck strikers.

The best fighters especially HW and LHW were in pride. Then strike force had the best HW. It was only after that they bought strike force was that they had the best.
I’ll agree with you with HW, but LHW that is an opinion, I believe the LHW were much more competitive across PrideFC/UFC but it’s all stylistic matchups. Ortiz & Couture would’ve beaten Wanderlei Silva, Shogun would probably beat Ortiz I don’t know about Couture. Rampage would beat Chuck, and given from what Rampage says about Ortiz during training there is a high possibility Ortiz beats Jackson. Shogun probably beats them all though aside from Couture i think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GringoRonin
Back