Fellow Graphic Novel (comic) geeks gtfih

Hanz_Blitz

BJJ all day
Banned
Reaction score
So recently I decided to start reading the Punisher MAX Series and absolutely love it! I finished the second volume and went and picked up a whole whack of highly reviewed Batman comics and from what I’ve read so far I’m lovin it. A long time ago I read the infinity gauntlet series and it was a fantastic read. Can any of you sweet sweet nerds recommend me any comic series or more serious Graphic Novels that are worth a read....? Thanks in advance

Watchmen
Planetary
New X-Men (Grant Morrison)
Astonishing X-Men (Joss Whedon)
Ultimates Vol 1&2
Walking Dead
Invincible

So recently I decided to start reading the Punisher MAX Series and absolutely love it! I finished the second volume and went and picked up a whole whack of highly reviewed Batman comics and from what I’ve read so far I’m lovin it. A long time ago I read the infinity gauntlet series and it was a fantastic read. Can any of you sweet sweet nerds recommend me any comic series or more serious Graphic Novels that are worth a read....? Thanks in advance
My recommendations:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/115056149/

Judge Dredd TPB's of:

The Cursed Earth.

The Apocolypse War
(if you think the Punisher is hard core, wait until you see how Dredd wins the War...:eek:)

Neocropolis.

Judgement Day.

I'd also recommend,

Uber: an alternative history where the Nazis won the Battle of Berlin at the last minute by developing Super Soldiers, which in turn lead to a Superhuman Arms Race. Brutal barely covers it.<Eek2.0>

Captain America: the New Deal.

Captain America: Winter Soldier.

Civil War(the first one).

Fear Itself(among other things, it shows exactly how much of a bastard Odin really is)

There have been some very good recommendations so far, so I won't repeat them. Do you want more grounded stories or do you want crazier ones?

Some more grounded ones are:
Batman - Strange Apparitions
Daredevil - Born Again
Criminal (Coward or Lawless are the best IMO)
Y the Last Man

If you're fine with supernatural or more sci-fi stuff then:
Hellboy (they're all good)
Planetary (this has tons of homages to different characters, from pulp to superheroes)
Astro City (I've only read the first 3 volumes, which were excellent)
Batman - The Doom That Came to Gotham (Mike Mignola's take on Batman vs. supernatural, it's an Elseworld's story)
X-men The Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas
Saga (I've heard VERY good things about this)
Thor by Walt Simonson (his run is VERY good)

If you want something super nerdy, I do recommend Scott Pilgrim, but it may have less of an impact if you aren't familiar with Toronto.

Y The Last Man might be the greatest story I've ever read.

Saga has been recommended but I'm doubling down on that. Both by Brian K Vaughn.

Southern Bastards
Transmetropolitan

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Grant Morrison's Animal Man.

Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan.

Also, pretty much everything written by those gentlemen is amazing.

Recently, The Black Hood is way solid. It's vigilante shit along the lines of Punisher/Batman.

I love all sorts of Batman myself.

Can reccomend the game-prequel Arkham series
and also court of owls

You can never go wrong with asterix either one of the funniest things ever

Oh, and the original Hellblazer series. All of it.

Oh, and the original Hellblazer series. All of it.

Did you ever read this one? Initially he sued Rowling as Potter was basically a lame version of this character.

gallery_comics_the_books_of_magic.jpg

It featured my favorite Constantine panel of all time. It preceded this one but I can't find it.

hell--621x414.jpg

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Grant Morrison's Animal Man.

Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan.

Also, pretty much everything written by those gentlemen is amazing.

Recently, The Black Hood is way solid. It's vigilante shit along the lines of Punisher/Batman.

Fucking love Moore's Swamp Thing. A+ recommendation.

Did you ever read this one? Initially he sued Rowling as Potter was basically a lame version of this character.

gallery_comics_the_books_of_magic.jpg

It featured my favorite Constantine panel of all time. It preceded this one but I can't find it.

hell--621x414.jpg
I had a couple of loose issues almost 20 years ago, but I've never read any of the series in detail. But it's on my to do list. Gaiman is just in a different realm when it comes to writing comics. Moore is probably the only one who shares his space.

V for Vendetta

So much better than the film. To the degree that people talking about the film make me angry.

Fucking love Moore's Swamp Thing. A+ recommendation.
That is my favorite run ever. What he did to that character, taking what was kind of a run of the mill tough guy and turning him into a godlike being, it was beautiful.

I'm even a big fan of Rick Veitch's run that followed as well. The 80's crew of Moore, Veitch, Totelben, and Bissette is one of the best ever, imo.

I had a couple of loose issues almost 20 years ago, but I've never read any of the series in detail. But it's on my to do list. Gaiman is just in a different realm when it comes to writing comics. Moore is probably the only one who shares his space.

I haven't read it in decades, and bits of it may have been hokey, but I remember really liking it.

At the time I had no idea who Constantine was and no clue why so many supernatural beings were terrified of him. The panel I loved was of a group of powerful beings surrounding the kid, panel is a close-up of a wood match being lit, which stops them all in their tracks, and then the panel I posted of John lighting his cigarette. It was just one of those panels, you know?

Anyways, if I'm going to submit anything for this thread, it's going to be Miller's Ronin. The first in the series is my favorite hands down.

1795212.jpg

0ed7ab6e24908152e018e16b5d23e9a5.jpg

I've never been a comic book person, mainly because I've no interest in superheroes, but I recently read "From Hell" by Alan Moore and it blew my mind.

Oh, and Preacher. Garth Ennis, writer of Punisher MAX, wrote it and it's beautiful and Ennis' magnum opus. Once you pick it up it's hard to put down.

I've never been a comic book person, mainly because I've no interest in superheroes, but I recently read "From Hell" by Alan Moore and it blew my mind.
Image, Vertigo, Dark Horse, and others have amazing works that have nothing to do with superheroes. Comics may not be your cup of tea, but if you liked From Hell there are plenty of adult oriented titles that are on par with that book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back