Few girls are entertaining - Sean O'Malley proposes a separate league for female UFC fighters (WUFC)

Wu-FC, have various WuTang affiliated shows with the fights. Call Dana!
Everyone here has short term memory loss, the pumping up of Rhonda and WMMA was done to increase the value of the org before the Vegas Bros sold it, along with Brock’s TUE exemption, etc.
Along with the weak names outside Yan, O’Malleys opponents are sub .500 combined, with multiple dudes having never won fights, yet he’s 16-1. He’s a male company fluffed up fighter, barely different than a female for all intent and purpose.

Last edited:
WUFC would go over about as well as WNBA.
<36>

Then again, maybe it would be better considering some WMMA fighters are actually hot.

Sean O'Malley with an interesting proposition. 'Sugar' very diplomatically suggests creating a separate league for WMMA fighters.

“What if there was a ‘WUFC’?” Sean O’Malley said. “What if they had their own program? Would it last? Would they be able to sell pay-per-views, would they be able to sell out arenas? I’m just asking. What if it was the ‘WUFC’? It’s still the UFC, it’s still Dana, it’s still the UFC pushing these fights and promoting them – would it last?”

“We’re not saying they’re bad,” Sean O’Malley explained. “We’re talking from a pure entertainment point of view. Look at the WNBA, look at the NBA. There is a few girls fights that are very entertaining. There is a few…”

“WNBA – WUFC, I’d like it. I think it’d be interesting… We’re not talking skill, they’re very, very skilled. I’m talking from a pure entertainment perspective. Like, ‘I can’t f****** wait for this fight.’”

Source

Is it finally time to 'trim the fat' and remove WMMA from the UFC?

From business perspective why would the UFC do that?

Just from looking it up quick, it looks like it's anywhere from 1/4 to almost half of yearly revenue. 15 mil from nba, 20 mil from tickets & merch + 25 mil TV contract from ESPN(I'm not sure if that is yearly or spread out through however many seasons).

I do know that my local team(Timberwolves) were bought by a group who's headed by Alex Rodriguez, and part of the deal was they HAD to buy the Lynx(local WNBA team) as well... which I thought was kinda strange
I hear those deals too and it has to make one wonder

Wu-FC, have various WuTang affiliated shows with the fights. Call Dana!
Everyone here has short term memory loss, the pumping up of Rhonda and WMMA was done to increase the value of the org before the Vegas Bros sold it, along with Brock’s TUE exemption, etc.
Along with the weak names outside Yan, O’Malleys opponents are sub .500 combined, with multiple dudes having never won fights, yet he’s 16-1. He’s a male company fluffed up fighter, barely different than a female for all intent and purpose.

WUFC is for the children!

Women draw as part of a mixed sexes MMA product. That's why not just the UFC, but ONE, Bellator, RIZIN, PFL and KSW have women's fights too. In the case of the first four promotions women are arguably their biggest draws too.

Of the major promotions it's only ACA which doesn't have WMMA.

it'll never go away because of Ronda. Ronda was one of the biggest stars EVER man or woman, the UFC has ever had. that fact alone will continue UFC to try and find another Ronda.

Maybe he’s just trying to be the face of a promotion after he doesn’t win the title. Shawna O’Malley face of the WUFC.

WMMA would be taking a huge paycut or wouldn't exist on their own, honestly. People don't tune in to WMMA as much. Draw your own conclusions why.
Exciting fighters and male divisions are pretty much subsidizing WMMA purses. Hopefully the talent gets better. 115 and 125 are getting better. 135 is a joke when holly holm bodies most of the division at 41.
Same could be said for lower men’s divisions. MM is the goat and yet 0 respect. They don’t bring in the numbers on their own. It’s a dumb comment. Didn’t expect a rainbow haired dude who paints his nails to have that viewpoint. But let’s double down and create smaller men ufc and call it SMUFC. And we can see how that works out.

Didnt a trans man beat up a women there yeah no thanks
No. You’re thinking of tuff enuff, and that was several years before Invicta
He resents women, because his wife fucks other men.
I feel like O’Malley doesn’t get enough shit for this. Probably because his fans are made up entirely of GenZ broccoli heads
He's just saying what the majority think. It would fail on its own and they know that.

I go back and forth . My gripes are the common ones.

I do like that the UFC gives women combat sports athletes a way to make money. or even the perception, there's that carrot for them now. Regardless it's tacked on to men's, or it's political, or it's not really for women it's for the UFC bottom line to fill cards.

There are a lot of girls wrestling in high school or doing jiujitsu or taekwondo and I like that maybe some of them might see this as something to work hard for. I think there are not as many as boys but some girls who need this type of physical outlet. Maybe more motivation for them to work harder knowing the UFC has women, and that's enough for it to come into my thinking.

Another factor for me. If there was no women in the UFC , there would be less cards. I love having a ufc card every week.
“The Majority.” “90%” ya’ll spend too much time on Sherdog
upload_2023-6-22_1-1-10.jpeg

There's not that many WMMA fighters to justify funding an entire seperate fight league dedicated to it, they serve a good purpose in padding out cards. Most PPV's or events have 2-3 fights across the entire card.

I like the PFL format of each show only featuring 1-2 weight classes. Imagine how much easier the UFC would be to follow if they did that.

Added bonus of being able to skip shows that feature shitty weight classes without missing anything.

The UFC has kept WMMA so they can say they are an equal opportunity organization. They will never, at least in my lifetime, spin off a UFC WMMA only promotion. No consistent real money in WMMA (beyond a brief Rhonda moment), only headaches, and everybody with more than two brain cells knows that.

I disagree. I think they wanted to cash in Ronda and now theyre stuck with it. Ronda was a fad and now we're stuck with a womens version of the sport on mens cards. Particularly pisses me off when its 'multiple title fights' and one is a woman's fight. Like fuck off b and c league mens fights are higher level.

Back