Crime Florida is getting more authoritarian by the week

florida is on the right track here. all we really need though is a one or two day tun around in the courts to evict these dirtbag criminals. maybe they could just bump all squatters cases to the front of the line in the courts to expedite things. as it is in many states homeowners get harmed and sometimes bankrupted by losers who should get the boot instead.

liberals are giant pussies on this issue.
The system you are advocating for is essentially the system that is in place. The system it is being replaced with is different than what you are suggesting.

lol at the “not pussy” position is throwing people out of the houses they are in by circumventing the courts.

Hardly contrarian. I've litigated this type of matter multiple times from sides of the conversation.

I don't really care if the mainstream doesn't agree. The mainstream doesn't know shit about this topic beyond general headlines. And they've definitely never really thought about. Neither in the present or from an understanding of where the law on squatter's right came from.
Spare us the intellectual snobbery.

It's a security blanket that helps you sleep at night. You bring up feudal era politics so you can convince everyone around you that you relate to the little guy and to distract how fucking unlikable lawyers are to begin with.
"I've litigated on such matters, I'm just defending the little guy." Sure bud, keep telling yourself that.

You're the shithead that defends these crack heads but you want to convince everyone your doing the Lord's work.

It's insane that you can tell the woman in the video feels compelled to articulate why the law is logical, that squatters should have no rights, and should be evacuated immediately: "...the idea that they have to do due rights with a person that is essentially stealing their home..."

LOL, no shit. I can't believe that anybody anywhere ever defended these people, and yet their defenders seem to be legion. Imagine a world where when muggers rip your wife's purse out of her hands you have to sue the courts and spend a month in some bureaucratic hell begging for permission to take it back.

@Sinister spent several pages defending this shit in the New York Squatter thread

According to him, you shouldn’t be allowed to forcibly remove them and lose tens of thousands in lost income and legal fees in civil courts to evict a squatter

Gonna go out on a limb here but I would bet you don't live near Miami Dade or Broward County
I live in MDC.

I'm curious, why do you think we have too many people? Is it because of traffic?

I hate his politics too and I love it here. It doesn't affect you day to day and if you live in the Miami metro area its more purple politics wise than the rest of the state. You should take some vacations here to see if she might change her mind. Lots of building going on here and I say the more the merrier.

We own land down there, but I don’t know the area where it is. We get offers all the time to sell it-cold calls mostly. Low ball offers. Went to Disney in 2020. My brother lives in orlando but he is very conservative. Went to Miami to fish for peacock bass in 2008 and again in 2013-but then it was too cold to enjoy in January. I like Florida just fine.

No. Neither the old process in FL to remove a squatter using the summary judicial procedure, or the new system whereby squatters are to be removed by affidavit to sheriff have been around tens of thousands of years. That is a silly position.

What “liberal” policy is idiotic? Under the current system in FL, squatters are already subject to some of the fastest judicial procedures available.

It seems like you don’t know anything about this. You just read that “squatters” had “rights” so you created a make believe progressive /conservative narrative (involving make believe history and make believe liberal policies) to justify removing those “rights” to punish people you feel need more punishing. That’s a sh*t way to make policy.

My point stands. Here where you often have poor and desperate people squatting a summary judicial procedure isn’t fast enough. Ironic that you and the conservatives don’t manufacture this same outrage when the grifter is rich and powerful.
In most of human history, if you found a random person in your house they would be removed immediately by the authorities. Squatters rights and long tenuous evictions are a new policy. And of course, all it would take to break the policy is have enough squatters so that the judicial system is swamped for years. It's a completely backwards policy defended by what I presume are idiots, trolls or people so brainwashed by progressive policies that they instinctively feel the need to defend any single one regardless of how idiotic the policy is.

Oh the horror. I can think of so many words that end in "ist" right now. #SLM

In most of human history, if you found a random person in your house they would be removed immediately by the authorities. Squatters rights and long tenuous evictions are a new policy. And of course, all it would take to break the policy is have enough squatters so that the judicial system is swamped for years. It's a completely backwards policy defended by what I presume are idiots, trolls or people so brainwashed by progressive policies that they instinctively feel the need to defend any single one regardless of how idiotic the policy is.
Nowadays, being a progressist is more about saying fuck you daddy than about helping the weak.

I don't understand how that was legal - ever - to begin with.

The idea is that is it better for property to be occupied and properly maintained than to sit vancant and dormant. Squaters rights came about because people would abandon a property, someone else would put in the sweat equity develop it long term then when it had value again the old owner would try to claim it and kick out the people who made it valuable and productive.

It comes from a time before the current glut of beurocracy. This used to be done with abandoned property and if the property owner was just on a long weekend trip and came back home the squaters would be made to leave.

Also making material improvements to the property was a requirement. Since it's better to support a member of your community to wants to develop and maintain a property than a member of your community who was willing to abandon it. It made sense.

Now we are in extreme scenarios where houses on the market are broken into and some meth head changes the locks and hangs a picture frame on the wall claiming they are a resident and they have improved the property. Since they only have to be there 30 days and it takes 6 months to evict it's now free real estate.

My guess is that this will get more and more popular until a few people get shot.

Spare us the intellectual snobbery.

It's a security blanket that helps you sleep at night. You bring up feudal era politics so you can convince everyone around you that you relate to the little guy and to distract how fucking unlikable lawyers are to begin with.
"I've litigated on such matters, I'm just defending the little guy." Sure bud, keep telling yourself that.

You're the shithead that defends these crack heads but you want to convince everyone your doing the Lord's work.
No, I won't spare you the snobbery since your response to me was that I was being contrarian simply to be contrarian. So it's contrarian when I have an opinion that you disagree with and snobbery when I explain why I have the opinion I have. So, basically it is impossible to have a different opinion from you that is based on a genuine assessment and understanding of the issue.

I'm not defending "the little guy". That you think that tells me that, as I said, you don't know shit about the subject. Squatters right are employed by property developers as well when they can't find the legal owner but want to start staking a claim to the property. I'm literally litigating this matter right now for a store owner who has operated out of a location for 20+ years and needs to establish ownership legally for another purpose (the original purchase of the property was never recorded). To have some random ass person show up decades later, claim to be related to the prior owner, and throw the store owner out of the property without a court order is idiotic.

There's a whole body of law that addresses abandoned property, including all of the state and municipality level options to take ownership of those assets and recycle them into the populace that will actually use them. Which is why squatters rights exist in the first place and always have.

It is specifically within the concept of property rights and uses that the phrase "possession is 9/10ths of the law originated. Most squatters rights grow out of attempting to put a timeline on how long "possession" needs to happen before the law swings to the possessor's side.

Being ignorant of a subject can't be hidden just because you also want to be an asshole.

Last edited:
Contrary to your opinion, I feel there’s a legitimate argument for squatters to be classified with any other home invader which castle doctrine can be invoked. Anyone breaching the perimeter of a residence, vehicle or business without permission should be (at the owner’s discretion) be met with deadly force.

Having read the story, further comments:

First, I want to mention the disingenuousness when politicians or the news refer to it as "people illegally in their homes". If the property owner was using the property as a "home", there wouldn't an opportunity for squatters to set up shop.

Immediate ejectment is wrong. Squatters acquire legal title to a property once they meet certain state specific criteria. If they've met those criteria then an immediate removal without going through the court process would be ejecting them from their legally acquired property.

I said it in my other post but some of these decisions, not just this Florida one, move us closer and closer to medieval era feudalism and land barons. People really need to start paying more attention to the down the road effects of these laws that seem to have no purpose other than simplifying the ability of the wealthy to run roughshod over the poor.

Contrary to your opinion, I feel there’s a legitimate argument for squatters to be classified with any other home invader which castle doctrine can be invoked. Anyone breaching the perimeter of a residence, vehicle or business without permission should be (at the owner’s discretion) be met with deadly force.
But that's not why squatter's rights exist nor a situation where they would be applicable.

Squatter's rights only exist in an environment where the deed holder isn't making ongoing use of the property. Castle doctrine makes zero sense since the whole point of castle doctrines is to give property owners a way to physically protect themselves from encroachers and trespassers. A squatter is entering a property where the property owner is absent. If the property owner is physically there...it's not squatting, it's just basic trespassing.

And it's not my opinion. Pretty much every state and city has a legal process where they can step in and take over property that they deem "abandoned". Why? Because no municipality wants property sitting around under-utilized. Squatter's rights exist to facilitate that process by shifting ownership of unused property to the legal ownership of the people who would make real use of it. If an individual can prove that they're making better use of the land then the law says they should become the new owners of that land.

Nope. For most of human history if you found a ransom person in your home, you were on your own. Squatter's rights have been around for about 150 years--most of U.S. legal history and they are recognized in all 50 states. The liberal ones and conservative ones.

"Long and tenuous evictions." Also nope. The old law in Florida allows most of them to be done in a month or two. There is a specific statute already "advancing" such cases ahead of other cases on the Court's docket."

So you position is that this is necessary because this is how things have been for 10,000 years is wrong. The issue of squatters removal being long and tenuous is not the case in Florida.

How can we debate who is brainwashed and who is pursuing an idiotic policy when you simply make your position up?

I am not defending anyone. Squatters should be quickly removed from places they are not legally residing in. My point remains it is interesting to me that with fraudsters, murderers, pedophiles etc. out there, your Complaint is that we need to put resources to getting squatters out more quickly when Florida already has a policy of extremely fast unlawful detainer actions.

But that's not why squatter's rights exist nor a situation where they would be applicable.

Squatter's rights only exist in an environment where the deed holder isn't making ongoing use of the property. Castle doctrine makes zero sense since the whole point of castle doctrines is to give property owners a way to physically protect themselves from encroachers and trespassers. A squatter is entering a property where the property owner is absent. If the property owner is physically there...it's not squatting, it's just basic trespassing.

And it's not my opinion. Pretty much every state and city has a legal process where they can step in and take over property that they deem "abandoned". Why? Because no municipality wants property sitting around under-utilized. Squatter's rights exist to facilitate that process by shifting ownership of unused property to the legal ownership of the people who would make real use of it. If an individual can prove that they're making better use of the land then the law says they should become the new owners of that land.

For New York City, 30 Days is an insanely short amount of time to allow squatters to infest your home.

Some people go on vacations for more time... Getting courts to act that quickly is impossible.

It should take years... several years for squatters rights to take effect.

I'd agree if a property is vacant and someone was actually living there, paying taxes and utilities for 2-3 years minimum. Who knows what happened at the point to original owners... they might have died or something.

I just read that it takes 5 years in California.

For New York City, 30 Days is an insanely short amount of time to allow squatters to infest your home.

Some people go on vacations for more time... Getting courts to act that quickly is impossible.

It should take years... several years for squatters rights to take effect.

I'd agree if a property is vacant and someone was actually living there, paying taxes and utilities for 2-3 years minimum. Who knows what happened at the point to original owners... they might have died or something.

I just read that it takes 5 years in California.

Squatters rights do take years to take effect but the cops don't know how long the squatter has been there when they're called.

Which is why court orders are usually employed. In my jurisdiction, cops won't touch it without a court order precisely because if they throw out someone who has acquired squatters rights, what is legally known as "adverse possession", then the cops would have violated the legal landowner's right to their property.

to use a personal example -- I had a client who had been living in a property for literally decades. The great grandchild of the prior owner showed up and called the cops. By law, my client was the new owner of the property and had been for over a decade, even though she hadn't gone through the courts yet (older woman) since adverse possession kicks in regardless of if you've been through court -- possession is 9/10ths and all that.

If the cops had just thrown her out of the house based on the great-grandchild's say so, she would have had a legit suit against the city for violating her right to her home. We fought the great-grandchild and won.

These news stories always make sense when the reader only thinks about the person who decides to cruise around the world for 6 months and comes back to find someone in their house. But the law doesn't exist to protect that person, the law exists to protect the other people who have legitimately acquired otherwise abandoned/unused property, enriched said property and then someone tries to come back and take advantage of the improved premises.

Speaking of Cali, I represent a client in my state whose deceased parent is losing a property to a Cali county because the property had sat unused for decades. The county finally had enough, appointed a legal entity to dispossess my client's dead parent of the house and sell it to someone who would use it. We're not fighting this because my client doesn't want the responsibility of maintaining an asset that far away.

Legal tools for recycling unused property are an essential part of managing large cities and counties, otherwise you get blight, reduction of tax revenue and a variety of other issues that arise when the legal owner of the property can't be easily located but legal access to the property is required for municipal reasons.

I saw illegal aliens have been posting videos on how to take advantage of lax squatting laws in blue sanctuary cities and states.

Glad that will not be going on here in Florida.

He just can't help himself and has to "what about..." in almost every thread.

Back