For the people moaning about WMMA fights on 300...

The main reason WMMA is still in the UFC is because they need filler for their watered-down cards. An argument could be made that 3 or 4 WMMA fighters "make money" for the UFC individually. The rest make money for the UFC as nothing more than content filler.

I'm not advocating for or against the inclusion of WMMA on 300. And I certainly don't profess to speak for all mma fans. But the reality is that if the UFC made an all-WMMA card with 3 title fights and every "popular" current WMMA fighter, the card wouldn't sell at all.
WMMA "makes money" similar to how the WNBA makes money.

Are you forgetting that WMMA delivers from time to time (I get that sucks more often than not) ? Ronda/Holly was one of the most landmark moments in UFC history. Zhang/Joanna was FOTY. We've had some tremendous knockouts. Of all the WMMA fights they could make, they picked some good ones. I'd be pissed too if it the card was littered with the girls who play tit tat and/or wall n' stall, but this isn't that. Andrade/Rodriguez could honestly get straight up nasty.
I actually don’t mind seeing Zhang fight. She’s the only female fighter ( well her Cyborg and Meisha cause she’s pretty hot lol) that I will pay to see fight. She always comes to fight. I actually believe that the Zhang fight is the best fight on ufc300 so far lol

The only reason women's MMA gets watched is because the blend the fights into the same card as men's fights. Tennis does the same thing, mix the women's event in with the men, viewership is much higher than most women's sports. At the olympics, blended in with the mens events, gets decent viewership. Essentially it's a tax on the actual earners of the sport.

Think about as weight limits get lower and lower, interest wanes from the general public. E.g. hardly anyone cares about the male 125 pound division. Indeed, they are so small a regular adult male could swat them away. The same is true of the women's divisions: a decent-sized adult male could obliterate these "World top 10" fighters. So why should I be interested?

There's good women's fights sometimes, but there aren't any interesting women atm, and when you get a good fight it feels like it's by accident rather than because anyone actually expected it to be good. Back in the day you had Boogeywoman Joanna carrying female MMA, talking shit, putting on good fights, now they just slap that gremlin Andrade on every ppv like she's supposed to be some female Mike Tyson, and boring nice girl Weili. Dern is the only fun woman to watch these days

The WNBA still exists, but it has to be subsidized by men's basketball because it doesn't make any money at all. So no, it's not self-evident.
You would like to think that one is indicative of the other, which is laughable. You are wrong on both counts anyway, so we don't even need to get into why it is silly to try to compare them.

wmma is great for gambling, i love it

plus wmma fights are fun to watch 7 times out of 10

They do deliver from time to time, likely in the same proportion as the men's fights.
2023 join date checks out.
I like WMMA. Are some fights lackluster? Sure, but that goes for men's fights as well. Ngannou/Lewis anyone? How about Jones vs Smith? Yeah, that's a fight everyone remembers fondly.
Are you the same moron who brought up this dumbshit argument in the last wmma thread?

You would like to think that one is indicative of the other, which is laughable. You are wrong on both counts anyway, so we don't even need to get into why it is silly to try to compare them.

If I am not mistaken the WNBA has literally never turned a profit since it was created, and only exists by virtue of subsidies from the NBA. Your article has the quote:

"According to Bloomberg, the league is set to capitalize on a record-breaking 2022 season with profits in the 2023 season nearly doubling those from 2019."

So profits of 0 in 2019 are doubled to become profits of 0 in 2022? Seems like whoever wrote that article doesn't know the difference between revenue and profit.

If I am not mistaken the WNBA has literally never turned a profit since it was created, and only exists by virtue of subsidies from the NBA. Your article has the quote:

"According to Bloomberg, the league is set to capitalize on a record-breaking 2022 season with profits in the 2023 season nearly doubling those from 2019."

So profits of 0 in 2019 are doubled to become profits of 0 in 2022? Seems like whoever wrote that article doesn't know the difference between revenue and profit.
<YeahOKJen>

You have a fairly split vote among Sherdoggers for liking WMMA; but that is a small portion of the population. There are a lot of casuals that like WMMA. Those who dislike WMMA on Sherdog like to act like they speak for all of us, but they actually speak for a small minority.

The fact that WMMA makes money is self-evident. It still exists.
No. Companies susbsidise loss making business segments for years. Happens all the time.

Yeah, it was a great moment. WMMA fights can have these moments or even be a great fight (Johanna/Weili 1 for example) but overall they usually suck and the men shouldn't have to subsidize them.

Any experienced MMA fan should know which fights to pay attention to. Strawweight title fights are must watch. Andrade is never in a boring fight. Anyone complaining about those two fights is exposing themselves as a casual. The only wmma fight with potential to be boring on this card is Harrison v Holm. And that fight was set up because of the name value.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back