Media Francis confirms Jones fight never happening, likely never back in UFC

If the UFC paid fighters properly, provided health care, and allowed sponsors and the option to make money in different sports, this perhaps wouldn't be an issue.

The UFC treats these fighters as commodities that are replaceable rather than human beings, and that is the core issue.
True but the fighters agree to the contracts and they are free to leave once their contract is over.

If the UFC paid fighters properly, provided health care, and allowed sponsors and the option to make money in different sports, this perhaps wouldn't be an issue.

The UFC treats these fighters as commodities that are replaceable rather than human beings, and that is the core issue.
Francis probably wouldn't budge on the freedom aspect of his contract, and UFC was probably stingy as fuck and would only offer long term deals. I think if both sides had negotiated in good faith they could have just done one or two fight deals.

Anyway, I hope were not sitting here a year from now asking when is Francis Ngannou finally going to accept a fight because of money. He's free now so I hope he gets something done quick.

dana and francis should meet at some island and talk it thru again

Is Jerry Millen flying in with Fedor and M1 executives in tow? Where's the Ferttias!?

True but the fighters agree to the contracts and they are free to leave once their contract is over.

Of course.

In the United States you have the option to take your labor wherever you see fit. But when a majority of organizations and companies are exploitative what real choice do you have?

If the UFC cared about its fighters well being and wanted to grant fans the best fights possible, they would do a lot more to ensure they're taken care of. As it stands now, its abysmal to see what some fighters are making, and when UFC basically has a monopoly on the sport here in America your choices become much more limited.

Francis probably wouldn't budge on the freedom aspect of his contract, and UFC was probably stingy as fuck and would only offer long term deals. I think if both sides had negotiated in good faith they could have just done one or two fight deals.

Anyway, I hope were not sitting here a year from now asking when is Francis Ngannou finally going to accept a fight because of money. He's free now so I hope he gets something done quick.

Its hard to fault him though.

They allowed Conor to box, so why not Francis?

Its hard to fault him though.

They allowed Conor to box, so why not Francis?
It was more about Mayweather. Floyd had sold 4.5 million buys vs Pacquiao and UFC saw $$$.

Francis is right... Jones was very cautious at the start of that fight.

He was definitely nervous of Cyril's standup skills and tried to hold on for dear life as soon as he got a hold of him.

Wait until you see Jon fight a few rounds at heavyweight before you make a declaration of his greatness at heavyweight.

Of course.

In the United States you have the option to take your labor wherever you see fit. But when a majority of organizations and companies are exploitative what real choice do you have?

If the UFC cared about its fighters well being and wanted to grant fans the best fights possible, they would do a lot more to ensure they're taken care of. As it stands now, its abysmal to see what some fighters are making, and when UFC basically has a monopoly on the sport here in America your choices become much more limited.

You have the choice to find a different company or organization to work or fight for. I do think the UFC should pay better but the last thing it needs is something like a Union. Its too bad there's no a happy medium. I'm sure Francis will end up at Bellator or another org but hopefully he does it sooner than later. It's just to bad we might never see a Francis vs Jones fight.

If only, indeed. Francis turned down deals in the past for more freedom in his career. He then mentioned multiple sticking points for him in their final negotiations. The UFC wouldn't budge on anything. They told him to take the raise or leave, knowing he had turned down more money through extensions long before their final negotiations.
Blah blah blah you're twisting and spinning to try to paint UFC as bad. UFC offered more money than anyone else will offer and in exchange for that huge check they didn't want their investment getting clowned in boxing. Not exactly unreasonable on the UFC's part

Francis is right... Jones was very cautious at the start of that fight.

He was definitely nervous of Cyril's standup skills and tried to hold on for dear life as soon as he got a hold of him.

Wait until you see Jon fight a few rounds at heavyweight before you make a declaration of his greatness at heavyweight.
I guess he shouldn't have wrestle just stand up with him and show you how good he is .:rolleyes:

Blah blah blah you're twisting and spinning to try to paint UFC as bad. UFC offered more money than anyone else will offer and in exchange for that huge check they didn't want their investment getting clowned in boxing. Not exactly unreasonable on the UFC's part

No. I'm not. At all. Everything I typed was true. "Blah blah blah". That's it. I'm convinced.

People are losing their minds over this win. They are being so deceived.

There may not be an easier match up for Jones than Cyril Gane on the top side of either 205 or heavyweight. He walked through him, sliced through him easily, and now people think Jones beats everyone.

He really got you guys with this one.

Jan Blachowicz would’ve put up a much better fight.

I would disagree. Sure Cyril's ground game is lacking but he is probably the most dynamic striker at HW and should have been able to do what he did to everyone else and pick them apart at range. He beats Francis if he doesn't go for that stupid sub. FRancis outwrestled him because he wasn't ready for Francis to wrestle and had done an entire camp on striking with Francis old coach.

Jan has been shown to have an average ground game off his back. I am a Jones hater (he has the second most PED failures in MMA). Jan is too slow and plodding and his defensive ground game is lacking. Jones gets a finish against him. He like Glover, was an average LHW during the best era at that weightclass.

Jones has been a kickboxer for the last couple years of his career. If he wrestled like he did against Cyril he would actually have some finishes during his LHW reign.

I guess he shouldn't have wrestle just stand up with him and show you how good he is .:rolleyes:

Jones can do whatever he wants... I don't fault him at all for his approach. Especially with all the ring rust and time off.

However, once there is a heavyweight who can make Jones go into the later rounds. I feel like it will be a different story.

Much harder for Jones then... just wait and see. Let's see if Stipe can bring something to the table.

Pretty sure Stipe won't be sitting playing FIFA during training camp.

Regardless, there are some heavy hands waiting at heavyweight for Jones chin.

The question - and my assumption is - if Jones beats Stipe he will get out early and retire on top. Cementing his legacy - it's a smart move on his part.

Rather than staying and trying to defend his belt many times.

Its more than just money bud.

And to be fair, when the company is making 80-120 million per event. The money they offered wasn't even all that.

Jones can do whatever he wants... I don't fault him at all for his approach. Especially with all the ring rust and time off.

However, once there is a heavyweight who can make Jones go into the later rounds. I feel like it will be a different story.

Much harder for Jones then... just wait and see. Let's see if Stipe can bring something to the table.

Pretty sure Stipe won't be sitting playing FIFA during training camp.

Regardless, there are some heavy hands waiting at heavyweight for Jones chin.

The question - and my assumption is - if Jones beats Stipe he will get out early and retire on top. Cementing his legacy - it's a smart move on his part.

Rather than staying and trying to defend his belt many times.
You said hold for dear life like this is not mma you could have said that about khabib.

No. I just see the hypocrisy. Francis was well within his rights to ask for more freedom. They allowed Conor. Why not him? I mean, let's not forget this is the same company that cut Fitch for not giving up his likeness rights for free. I'm still going to watch the fights. I love MMA. The UFC is getting my money. I don't hate them. I just see what they're doing and have done.

Conor gets treated differently because he draws more money. They feel it's easier to get another franchise and that's why he had less negotiating power

Looks like you're shilling for the UFC. You on the books?

I'm merely interpreting the situation through the lens of my professional experience, being someone who has dealt with contracts literally every day for 10 years now.

Your argument is UFC offered what they did to Francis with no intention of honoring the contract, or with material knowledge that they couldn't. That's pretty silly...

Jones just came in and took everything Frank had lol.

He won’t be thought of as a champ (Jones DESTROYED Gane in a few mins, Frank lost rounds to him)

“Baddest Man on the Planet” is gone. (Jones is now a multiple division champ, and obviously has the title)

And all for what??? Frank thought he was a mega star, who could ask for things that NO ONE would have got??

No. I just see the hypocrisy. Francis was well within his rights to ask for more freedom. They allowed Conor. Why not him? I mean, let's not forget this is the same company that cut Fitch for not giving up his likeness rights for free. I'm still going to watch the fights. I love MMA. The UFC is getting my money. I don't hate them. I just see what they're doing and have done.

I agree with you that Francis was well within his rights to not sign a contract he didn't like. People hating on him for it are stupid and immature. With that said...his only relevance is being a UFC fighter. That's the reason people are interested in him and that is what makes a boxing match appealing in the first place. Now that he has given that up he is going to fade into the background as time goes by and fans begin to move on. If he is ok with that then all power to him.

However, you can't help but wonder if he believes that his appeal and his opportunities are bigger than they actually are and is still planning on being relevant and making money. If that's the case then he probably needs to cut his losses and comeback some big UFC fights. Because as much as I respect his right to make the best decisions for himself I'm quickly beginning to not care what he planning, what he thinks, what he does, who he signs with. I want to see him match up with Jones, Pavlovich, Aspinall, ect. I want to see him build up his MMA legacy. Outside of that Francis Ngannou simply isn't relevant.

Back