Media Francis Ngannou has made $30 million from two boxing matches. He only made $3.5 million from 14 UFC fights in 7 years!

Frank was the winner in all of this easily. He would NEVER have ended up with 30 million in the UFC in the rest of his career, and definitely not in two fights. He can go make even more money in the PFL, and he can have another boxing match.

I am surprised at all of the people jacking off over that fight last night, making over the top statements. I didn't realize how angry they were at Frank tooling Dana.
UFC is a private company, they operate within a capitalist system and their profit comes from consumers who buy their product.

Ngannou was paid with tax money stolen from Saudi citizens by the Saudi government, which is a dictatorship. and you want to copy this model?

I wonder if Saudi taxpayers are ok with their government giving tax money to foreign athletes instead of building hospitals, schools, etc. for its own people.

Any high level boxing aspirations are effectively over after that sort of head trauma from AJ (his chin is now compromised), but with $30m the man can walk away a legend of combat sports even if he stops now.

I think he should try to win one more MMA fight then call it quits. I suspect he'll be lured into the boxing ring for a $3-5m purse against an opponent outside the HW top 5 next year though.

UFC is a private company, they operate within a capitalist system and their profit comes from consumers who buy their product.

Ngannou was paid with tax money stolen from Saudi citizens by the Saudi government, which is a dictatorship. and you want to copy this model?

I wonder if Saudi taxpayers are ok with their government giving tax money to foreign athletes instead of building hospitals, schools, etc. for its own people.
So that is why fight fans hate on Francis- because they have ethical qualms about Saudia Arabia? That is beyond laughable.

You hit way off the mark on this situation. There are corporate taxes and such in SA, but there is way too much money for them to require personal income tax from citizens, which they do not; look it up. The government's oil income is over a trillion a year, which is why they can pay this big money to fighters, and why it is silly to say they are using taxpayer money for it.

Now if you want to talk social issues, surely, they do a lot of objectionable stuff, especially to women and non-Muslims. One could take an ethical stance on this, but I think a good portion of fight fans would say that is being 'woke,' and wouldn't give a shit (especially about women, who just recently gained the right to drive cars on roads).

I think right now it is a good opportunity for fighters because the alternative in America is sleazy promoters in the likeness of Dana White, Don King, etc. One could take the stance that fighting for crooks in America is just as bad; at least the Saudis are willing to pay the fighters well.

Nothing in the fight game more unethical than letting people get concussed for peanuts like the UFC does. People take that same kind of KO in the UFC, and for 10,000 instead of 20 million.

Last edited:
Francis lost, but he really won. I'd much rather take $30,000,000 than a 1 and done UFC belt run when Jones takes it from me. Even in the best case scenario where he beats Jones (lmao), not worth the risk. Frank's lineage will be safe for generations because of what he has done.

So that is why fight fans hate on Francis- because they have ethical qualms about Saudia Arabia? That is beyond laughable.

You hit way off the mark on this situation. There are corporate taxes and such in SA, but there is way too much money for them to require personal income tax from citizens, which they do not; look it up. The government's oil income is over a trillion a year, which is why they can pay this big money to fighters, and why it is silly to say they are using taxpayer money for it.

Now if you want to talk social issues, surely, they do a lot of objectionable stuff, especially to women and non-Muslims. One could take an ethical stance on this, but I think a good portion of fight fans would say that is being 'woke,' and wouldn't give a shit (especially about women, who just recently gained the right to drive cars on roads). I think right now it is a good opportunity for fighters because the alternative in America is sleazy promoters in the likeness of Dana White, Don King, etc. One could take the stance that fighting for crooks in America is just as bad; at least the Saudis are willing to pay the fighters well.

Nothing in the fight game more unethical than letting people get concussed for peanuts like the UFC does. People take that same kind of KO in the UFC, and for 10,000 instead of 20 million.

And club fighters take the same damage for 100 bucks. Why don't you care about that?

Yeah he can? He would have made 5-10 million if he stayed in the UFC and fought Jones versus 30 million to Box twice.

Its clear as day. Get Dana's dick out your mouth.
He would have made few thousand for his first 5 to 10 fights if he was a boxer

lol Mmma figters r dumbbbbbb

get in boxing ring and get paid

Why retire now? He has a sweet deal with PFL plus he can still fight Wilder. He could get another $5M for that one.
I'm sure there are still plenty of dumbass boxing fans willing to spend 50-60 bucks on the hopes that Ngannou could actually box...lol.

So ya. No need to retire just yet.

I'm sure there are still plenty of dumbass boxing fans willing to spend 50-60 bucks on the hopes that Ngannou could actually box...lol.

So ya. No need to retire just yet.
In fairness he went 10 rounds with Fury. Maybe Dana was right that Tyson didn't take him seriously and barely trained but he sure as hell was trying and Frank hung in there with him. Dana gave McGregor all the credit in the world for getting finished by a much smaller and retired Floyd who clearly carried Conor for as long as it went.

So if you make 10 dollars an hour at my company and I offer you 10.25 and you turn it down you can't complain about low pay?

What kinda textbooks they using at Shill school these days?

If the offer was some meaningless marginal increase, like going from $10/hr to $10.25/hr, then you absolutely can. But if the offer was an order of magnitude greater, say $10/hr to $83-$133/hr, or say from $600k/fight to $5-$8 million/fight, and you still repeatedly turn it down in order to "make a stand against the evils of capitalism" or whatever else you claim to be doing, then no, you are in absolutely no position to ever mention the $10/hr or $600k/fight number as evidence of your low pay again.

Imagine having to blatantly lie about the extent of the pay bump UFC was offering in order to make them look bad. Textbook anti-UFC shilling indeed. Shouldn't you be writing for BloodyElbow instead of posting on Sherdog? Oh right never mind.

I genuinely do think fighter pay is a major issue in the UFC, and many guys in the sport are getting fucked over by the promotion big time.

I do not, however, think that Francis was one of those guys. The UFC offered him a staggering 8M alone for the Jon Jones fight and he turned it down. It is arguable whether he even deserved such a figure given the fact that he was not a major draw himself and yet the UFC did their part.

Francis thought it was not enough and he saw greater opportunities elsewhere, which he was correct in assuming and it paid off. Good for him, but I do not think the UFC did anything wrong to Francis. He wanted more pay, they offered him a substantial increase, but the bitter truth is as soon as the boxing bag was dangled in front of him , it did not matter how much the UFC was coughing up, he was already gone.
"Staggering 8M" (yes yes, I know, more than I have etc) when Anthony Joshua got paid 50 million for that fight. The non-current champion Anthony Joshua, when apparently the reason Ngannou's team turned down that 3 fight contract is that his pay would plummet if he lost the belt. Probably to 500k/500k. Imagine that. Going from a champion-caliber, but non champion fighter, like Anthony Joshua, making 50 million, to 1 million if you win. 100x pay difference.

He didn't actually though. $10 million was what he was projected to make for the Fury fight, and Fury was projected to make $50 million, but the event bombed and Fury only actually made $32m, so proportionately Francis probably made closer to $7m. We don't know how the PPV with Joshua did yet, so we'll see there. He also made $3.5 million in the UFC by choice. They offered him a new contract when he won the title and could have made $5 million for the Gane fight and turned it down.

He still made more per bout with boxing, but it likely wasn't that much more than he would have made if he'd beaten Jones and had another 2 defenses after.

And you base that on what exactly?

Most of the people outside millionaires & billionaires would take that punch for $20 mil. Let's be honest.

Even if it's risk for their own life.
For real. Best case scenario I retire and have to recover for about a year. Worst case I'm dead and the struggle is over. I went out trying to win, so I'm ok with that.

Back