French Judo Federation bans any Judoka teaching MMAa

This sounds pretty stupid, this probably wouldn't happen if MMA was legal in France. But it isn't.. so that's that.

When speaking about the judo federation banning mma from being taught in France, Ronda said she feels judo will die out because if you dont accept change you get left behind.

So actual just training MMA is banned? Or competition? Because MMA is quite an effective workout and under training circumstances you're not hurting anyone anymore than you do while training Judo.

Retards gonna ret though.

Im surprised people like him still exist, but ols people gonna old people

So actual just training MMA is banned? Or competition? Because MMA is quite an effective workout and under training circumstances you're not hurting anyone anymore than you do while training Judo.

Retards gonna ret though.

only competition. you can train MMA in France, there are quite a few French fighters in UK organisations like BAMMA, UCMMA, etc.

In France MMA is still portrayed as cage fighting with all the negative preconceptions that goes with that, and a lot of people who have a lot to lose if it became bigger (for example Judo organisations) try to make sure it stays that way.

Judo is aware of it's irrelevancy.

Any high-profile Judoka that can compete in MMA, will go to MMA. They know this, because they can't afford the same paychecks that a mid-profile PPV-based sport can. UFC generates unfathomably more revenue than Judo ever can.

wrong on both points.

Judo is still very relevant in France, in fact it's in the top practiced sports in France.
http://www.top-ten-10.com/sports/france-sports-interest.htm
If it's the 2nd country in the world with the most olympic medals in Judo only behind Japan, it's not just by luck.

The famous French judokas most probably can make more money out of advertising and sponsors rather than with MMA fights where unless you've very successful you don't really make much actually.
The sport of Judo itself doesn't pay much if at all, but what goes alongside it generates much more money (advertising, TV presence, sponsors, etc.).

Its not the Judo community, it's France.

What a fucking nut. I really despise when people talk about shit they know nothing about.

Yet France let's in Muslim extremists into their country by the truck load. Creating no go zones for the French non Muslim ppl. France get it together. You have much bigger issues to address.

The IJF and French judo federations are nothing but a pretentious cult of criminals preventing the growth of Judo as an art and sport. Not only are they preventing it, they're actually reversing it. They're the reason I left the sport and abandoned the art I dedicated half my life too. Fuck em.

French people should be more worried about religious extremist.

Rouge and whoever else backed this is one of those people who throughout history, have failed to show any forward thinking, insisted on living in the past. I hope he gets burned badly on this.

Judo is aware of it's irrelevancy.

Any high-profile Judoka that can compete in MMA, will go to MMA. They know this, because they can't afford the same paychecks that a mid-profile PPV-based sport can. UFC generates unfathomably more revenue than Judo ever can.

They are terrified by their lack of a future. They're acting irrationally hoping that Judokas will dedicate themselves to the sport. They're wrong.

Couldn't have said it better. Ironic that the best fighter to step into the cage was French-Canadian though.

Really sad. I do actually agree with that MMA fighters are dumb, except maybe a few, but that just gives more reason for them needing to be taught by judokas. The reasoning given in this article just don't make sense at all.

Actually this was really eye opening to me in the opposite way, exactly because this was so respectfull, it makes the rest of the fights and fighter interactions look bad.

Leading up to this fight everybody was talking a lot about how they were friends, from the same camp, had a lot of respect for eachother and both had a Gracie brother in their corner. On about every event you have these friends fighting eachother, and team mates and "fighters with a lot of mutual respect for eachother" as Goldberg would say... but Machida-Munoz had that emphasized even more than before. I didn't take it seriously, but at the event itself you did see that both Machida and Munoz acted different towards eachother than you'd see them against other opponents. Eventhough Machida has fought friends before and just is regarded as a respectfull fighter and person in general (I don't really know Munoz). The way especially how Machida acted after he KOed Munoz was especially very uhmmm considerate of Munoz and respectfull n such, more than usual, and Machida I've already found more composed/respectfull/considerate. At the KO you saw Machida a lot more hesitant than usual to follow up with punches, and Machida to my memory never threw unnecessary punches after already KOing his opponent. At first I thought it was cool because I was like "d'awww bromance much respect very considerate so composed", which it was, but what does this tell about Machida and how fighters in general act towards their opponents? I think this shows that even when in our eyes there is respect towards opponents, consideration, and fighters composing themselves, that actually isn't there at all.

Two things here buddy, one, paragraphs motherfucker. Two, Machida is a martial artist in a sport and organization full of fighters. You could technically call boxers martial artists too but how many of them embody any sort of self improvement from their art? For most it's just getting good at hurting people with no other purpose.

Seems like the judo-community maybe don't like the image thats being put across by the current high-profile judokas in MMA and feel it reflects negatively on their sport. What with this and the nixing of UFC sponsorship of that tournament and whatnot.

The Judo community loves seeing Judoka have success in MMA

The Judo community (in the US) is paying more attention to MMA with Ronda's success (we don't have many medalists to begin with, and having one kick ass in the UFC is attention getting)

The Judo community wants to see less restriction on technique in tournaments.

The Judo community wants to see Judo grow.

The Judo community's "leaders" on the other hand want to continue to make money, and give fuck all about the art they are supposed to be representing.

If MMA is illegal, then he's doing the right thing, by telling his kids not to break the law, or to help someone else break the law.

Remember when Ray Longo went nuts and said that if any of the guys from his training center were found to have fought in underground fights in NYC, he would kick them out of his gym?
Many guys, including Frankie Edgar, started their careers in those underground shows.

Yet France let's in Muslim extremists into their country by the truck load. Creating no go zones for the French non Muslim ppl. France get it together. You have much bigger issues to address.

You shouldn't believe everything your media puts down your throat. There is no "no go zones" in France or UK, unlike what Fox News was announcing recently. It's all made-up bullshit to have "exiting" news.
Those US channels were heavily criticized recently in Europe for spreading fake rumors.

wrong on both points.

Judo is still very relevant in France, in fact it's in the top practiced sports in France.
http://www.top-ten-10.com/sports/france-sports-interest.htm
If it's the 2nd country in the world with the most olympic medals in Judo only behind Japan, it's not just by luck.

The famous French judokas most probably can make more money out of advertising and sponsors rather than with MMA fights where unless you've very successful you don't really make much actually.
The sport of Judo itself doesn't pay much if at all, but what goes alongside it generates much more money (advertising, TV presence, sponsors, etc.).

Judo may be popular in France, but where else? Handful of asian countries perhaps.

And I doubt that they could make more with ads as a Judoka than ads as an MMA fighter. One is a very small market, whereas MMA is global and growing. Also, it's popular in the US, which is where the money is.

I'm not saying the best of the best in Judo are better off in MMA. I'm saying that high-level judokas who have the proper skillset would be better off going into MMA.

Last point I'm to make is that it's not about keeping the guys you have now. They're terrified on where tomorrow's champs are going. And that's my point; a young kid who has the ability to be successful in either Judo or MMA should and will pick MMA. They're trying to take that away, hence anybody who teaches Judo in an MMA setting is going to be banned. They want people to train Judo, only Judo, and compete nowhere else.

Now a kid who's coming up has to make that choice. Do they learn Judo, or do they compete in MMA?

Back