Fundamentals of Footwork

Common man, we're just having fun, i thought it was kind of obvious... It's not like we're talking about serious stuffs like punching in MT...
phew! So far I was in shock that two legit posters have suddenly lost it. :p My sarcasmometer must be broken.

Few things get me more excited than good footwork, and few things get me more heated than bad footwork.
Dude, I met this girl yesterday... she has the most amazing footwork! ;)

@a guy I was looking over the vids posted in OP again, noticed you mentioned how Loma engages his hips and knees, I've been working on lowering my stance while moving and noticed a pretty huge difference in how much easier it felt to move.

@a guy I was looking over the vids posted in OP again, noticed you mentioned how Loma engages his hips and knees, I've been working on lowering my stance while moving and noticed a pretty huge difference in how much easier it felt to move.
You find it easier to move when in a lower stance? Even though I fight out of a lowered stance, I have had to sacrifice some of the agility that I had in a higher stance. What do you do that makes it easier to move whilst in a low stance?

You find it easier to move when in a lower stance? Even though I fight out of a lowered stance, I have had to sacrifice some of the agility that I had in a higher stance. What do you do that makes it easier to move whilst in a low stance?

Not super low, just lower than I normally stand, with more flex in my knees and hips. Finding it makes it easier to keep my weight on the balls of my feet, my legs feel more engaged and my weight feels "more under" me which makes my movements feel more balanced. Not sure why it feels better beyond that so I was curious if guy had more insight as he mentioned hip and knee engagement in the OP.

you need to learn how to move in a lowered stance. the basic rules still apply but it takes practice to get your legs conditioned and used to the weight as well as having your feet do all the right movements in pivots, hop steps etc..

Frankly not only is the lowered stance more threatening but i feel it is safer. the bigger steps with weight sunk back lets me cover more ground and i have a lot harder time of running into people punches. which happened to me several times before i was instructed in how to keep a low stance.

phew! So far I was in shock that two legit posters have suddenly lost it. :p My sarcasmometer must be broken.

Oh I've definitely lost it. All aboard the troll train, choo choo motherfuckers.

Yea for me lowering my stance just a bit makes direction changes feel a lot easier and quicker. Plus getting hit while moving doesn't knock me nearly as off-balance, and I'm always ready to fire back much quicker.

you need to learn how to move in a lowered stance. the basic rules still apply but it takes practice to get your legs conditioned and used to the weight as well as having your feet do all the right movements in pivots, hop steps etc..

Frankly not only is the lowered stance more threatening but i feel it is safer. the bigger steps with weight sunk back lets me cover more ground and i have a lot harder time of running into people punches. which happened to me several times before i was instructed in how to keep a low stance.

I think you definitely nailed it with the being more threatening. If you can move around, in out and cut angles without standing straight up, it gets so much easier to let your hands go when your feet move you to good positions.

See for instance Wouldntly's angry crab style.

Yes indeed, Rohypnolrun's stance is a good example of how to be 'poised' for moving quickly while in form to throw a punch, if you ever decide to do so.

Here's a video of me shadowboxing my footwork (and head movement), as per drill 5.

Just so you guys know I'm not making this stuff up.

Hmm I am against low stance right now. My last coach made it a big deal to teach me how to walk and then to stay tall. When sitting tall and chin down you really do not feel the hits as the head is really relaxed and the back is taking all the power of it. When I was sitting low I had my head all squeezed by the neck and every hit I was taking was feeling.

In addition when tall strikes come less telegraphed due to body relaxation. When sitting deep it feels like you are unintentionally turning the body to get leverage of the hit. Kind of like sloping a hit and countering with an uppercut instead of just trowing the uppercut.

In addition there is not room for creating distance dispersions and pulling your head back as a method of defence.

Just my experience with both stances.

Hmm I am against low stance right now. My last coach made it a big deal to teach me how to walk and then to stay tall. When sitting tall and chin down you really do not feel the hits as the head is really relaxed and the back is taking all the power of it. When I was sitting low I had my head all squeezed by the neck and every hit I was taking was feeling.

In addition when tall strikes come less telegraphed due to body relaxation. When sitting deep it feels like you are unintentionally turning the body to get leverage of the hit. Kind of like sloping a hit and countering with an uppercut instead of just trowing the uppercut.

In addition there is not room for creating distance dispersions and pulling your head back as a method of defence.

Just my experience with both stances.

Sounds to me like you weren't taught how to sit in a lowered stance properly at all.

Not super low, just lower than I normally stand, with more flex in my knees and hips. Finding it makes it easier to keep my weight on the balls of my feet, my legs feel more engaged and my weight feels "more under" me which makes my movements feel more balanced. Not sure why it feels better beyond that so I was curious if guy had more insight as he mentioned hip and knee engagement in the OP.

I agree that there are many advantages to fighting out of a lowered stance, which is why I use it. Though I find it more exhausting maintaining the stance as I move around. Perhaps it is just my conditioning or that you move in a more economical way than I do?? I find that as I get fatigued, especially in my glutes, I start to raise out of my lowered stance and then I start getting hit by things that normally wouldn't be a problem for me. This is when I need to pull back, shake out my legs, consciously relax my glutes and reset back into my lowered stance. I want to maintain my lowered stance even when fatigued.

Back