Media Gaethje agrees with my take, believes Oliviera still has quit in him

Gaethje quit vs Khabib
Yep. I’d say he pretty much quit before he got in the cage. That was a weird one for sure. That said, Khabib would likely have won regardless but damn, Justin, you’re better than what you showed.

Regarding Charles having quit in him or not…he didn’t quit vs. Chandler and he has the belt now. I don’t think anybody should be second guessing him.

Even if we eliminate said excuses. Is Barboza who got dominated by Lee a better win than Kevin Lee? Is MJ who has a record of 19-17 and was 1-3 in his last 4 an amazing win? Is old Cerrone and MJ better wins than Chandler?
That's actually solid logic, I take that back. Oliveira has fought better competition.

I should clarify, I'm not sure if Oliviera still has quit in him, but I don't believe the Chandler fight proved otherwise.

Imo Chandler had in lapse in judgment going for the gnp when he could've stood Oliviera up while he was hurt. He wasn't able to land anything effective on the ground and allowed Oliviera to recover. After Chandler burned himself out, Charles came back in the second and landed that beautiful left hook.

Charles deserves all the love he gets for being a finisher and always being in exciting fights, this is just something that been bugging me since May, and a pro-fighter (top 3 at that) is an excellent co-signer to have.

Oliveira deserves the title and I’m very happy for him.

But yea, Chandler erred. And if I’m Gaethje my goal is definitely to hit him hard a lot of times and hope he’ll eventually fall to the group clutching his face again.

The heart he showed against chandler was more than Gaethje ever shown in his career

Im not hating man, I agree. He's a great champion to have, he's exciting. I just think the narrative floating around here about Charles overcoming this is premature.
That's fair and I ain't mad at ya, and I agree that the jury is still out on whether Charlie Olives has overcome his occasional tendency to wilt. He has shown an example where he didn't which is a positive for him but far from conclusive.

I actually tend to think that the "wilt under pressure" thing is a deeply ingrained aspect of the psyche and while one can improve it, it will always be there if the pressure gets hot enough or if panic sets in. But he could improve enough from a technical aspect to where it is rare for him to be in the bad position which leads to it.

Oliveira has more heart than gaethje.

Gaethje quit against khabib....and now is constantly asskissing khabib to lessen the loss, pathetic.

Gaethje IMO quit against alavarez/dustin too.

Oliveria has legit comebacks....gaethjes chin/heart quits thus he has never really done an oliveriaesque comeback.

Lol. This is a pretty poor take IMO. I don’t think JG should be mouthing off like this either, mainly because he isn’t good at it. But he’s not a quitter unless you count his body eventually giving in. I think he can be accused of mental laziness but that’s about it.

Oliveira has one comeback. It was a great one but it’s still one.

I've always been of the belief that it was more a case of Chandler having terrible fight IQ rather than Oliveira suddenly showing fortitude. By jumping into top position, Chandler completely let Oliveira off the hook and gave him time to recover. I suspect that Chandler would have finished the fight in short order if he made Oliveira stand up. Instead, he put Oliveira in the position he was most likely to survive in, and he went on to get finished because he's the ultimate glass canon.

That was possibly the greatest comeback in ufc title history aside from maybe Brock vs carwin.

Better opposition being who? MJ who rocked the shit out of him multiple times before he headbutted him? Barboza who he eye poked? James Vick? Washed Cerrone? Tony who Oliveira beat in way more dominant fashion?

Let's play that game. <mma3>

Olivera's best wins are a Bellator midget who was knocked out by a faitherweight, against whom he struggled, Kevin Lee and a washed up Tony, that Justin broke... In what world Oliveira's win against Tony's shell was more impressive than the beating he took from Gaethje ?

Justin just quit in his last fight LOL!!

Most people comprehend the difference between tapping out because you’re in a submission hold you can’t escape and wilting under commonplace attacks.

When people refer to Oliveira quitting they don’t mean the times he tapped to submissions, they mean the times he tapped to strikes or threw himself to the ground in a heap a full second or two after being punched.

Nope, he did not tap. <{hughesimpress}>

He did, TWICE. The ref just didn’t see it and Khabib put him out.

WiltedRegularGemsbuck-size_restricted.gif

I should clarify, I'm not sure if Oliviera still has quit in him, but I don't believe the Chandler fight proved otherwise.

Imo Chandler had in lapse in judgment going for the gnp when he could've stood Oliviera up while he was hurt. He wasn't able to land anything effective on the ground and allowed Oliviera to recover. After Chandler burned himself out, Charles came back in the second and landed that beautiful left hook.

Charles deserves all the love he gets for being a finisher and always being in exciting fights, this is just something that been bugging me since May, and a pro-fighter (top 3 at that) is an excellent co-signer to have.

Justin tapped right before Khabib put him to sleep, so he has something in common with Charles. I'm glad you and Justin agree on one thing. That's really cool, bro.

Olivera's best wins are a Bellator midget who was knocked out by a faitherweight, against whom he struggled, Kevin Lee and a washed up Tony, that Justin broke... In what world Oliveira's win against Tony's shell was more impressive than the beating he took from Gaethje ?
ColorlessForthrightKagu-max-1mb.gif

images

o6qdz4pl7li21.gif

Dwarf Bellator>>>Eddie Alvarez>>>Justin

How does punching somebody's face ruin their grappling skills? Zero evidence Tony was any worse going into the Oliveira fight than he was against Gaethje and he got fully domonated by Oliveira. Tony vs Gaethje was way more competitive. That "bellator midget" beat Alvarez who not only won the belt but ktfo Gaethje.

That was possibly the greatest comeback in ufc title history aside from maybe Brock vs carwin.

It’s an interesting question. Agree Brock’s is probably best.

Edgar’s against Maynard rivals it though and is significantly better than Oliveira’s. I loved Oliveira’s comeback but it was his history that made it most impressive IMO. He took one pretty big shot standing and then avoided what could’ve been some big shots on the ground.

Silva vs Sonnen is probably the most dramatic, but Silva wasn’t really hurt or anything.

Hughes-Penn II was good, though he mostly just survived a dangerous position on the ground at the end of round two.

Jones escaped an incredibly tight armbar but not really a comeback in a traditional sense.

Dillashaw nice bounce back from getting dropped hard by Cody.

In interim fights Tony had a nice comeback from a full mount mauling against Lee (though we learned later that all you need to do against KL is wait him out). Big Nog wasn’t in trouble but turned the tables beautifully.

Back