Games Where You Are Or Can Be The Villain

Fallout 4. I mean, you aren't really a bad guy but you can certainly make some evil choices in the game.

Even more so, I would like to see a game where you can basically choose to not be the central focus of the game and instead just be an everyday person. I've heard there's a mod for Skyrim that is sort of like this.

No More Heroes (Wii) has you playing as someone who wants to be the best assassin, so you're murdering tons of people for just that reason.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Atari) had you play as leatherface
Deception (PSX) was a series where you laid traps in your castle to kill adventurers
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PSX) had you robbing everyone.

Oh, any game where you play a gangster.

For example, one of the reasons I was so eager to embrace Red Dead Redemption wasn't just my love for the Western genre, but because I wouldn't be playing someone who killed cops; it was a redemption narrative like Unforgiven. That's why I've never cared for the role-playing aspect of the GTA series (although I adore the stories and how they are told).

You play scumbags. Fuck gangsters.

Can't really think of anything other than the ones suggested, but I'd love to see something where you are totally cast as the villain, as I'm usually more interested in the bad guys than the good.

My game dev studio is only two people, so we don't really have the resources to make some narrative heavy game, but man, one day I'd love to really focus on casting the villain as the player.

Gta series
The Darkness series
Kane and Lynch series
Wario Land series
Overlord
God of War series
Prototype series
Braid
Heavy Rain
Saints Row series
Starcraft (the Zerg)
Killzone series

You can pretend to be the badguy in any game - when I play Super Mario World I like to imagine that Mario just murdered someone with plumbing tools cause he finally snapped for plumbing too much and not making ends meet and one of his clients gave him shit, so he's on the run from the law, doing cocaine to escape reality and suddenly finds himself in a drug induced world where he's going through pipes and fighting turtles, and it's all plumber themed from years of too much overtime and work dominating his psyche

Last edited:
You can pretend to be the badguy in any game - when I play Super Mario World I like to imagine that Mario just murdered someone with plumbing tools cause he finally snapped for plumbing too much and not making ends meet and one of his clients gave him shit, so he's on the run from the law, doing cocaine to escape reality and suddenly finds himself in a drug induced world where he's going through piles and fighting turtles, and it's all plumber themes from years of too much overtime and work dominating his psyche
He hides his victims by dismembering them and flushing them down toilets piece by piece.

Gta series
The Darkness series
Kane and Lynch series
Wario Land series
Overlord
God of War series
Prototype series
Braid
Heavy Rain
Saints Row series
Starcraft (the Zerg)
Killzone series
I really enjoyed the first Kane and Lynch even though it didn't get great reviews. The mission where you kill the guy in the sky scraper meeting reminds me of the shoot out in the other guys for some reason.

Have we mentioned Dying Light? You can be a zombie w Yoel Romero-esque precise precision

did a quick ctrl+f and didn't see anything

one of my all-time favorites, and still holds up really well today, three or so years later, graphically speaking

such a great game

giphy.gif

tumblr_n01m1pihjy1qcsbn0o1_r1_400.gif

vipwgfmxpxn5jfyyhoae.gif

just in case anybody's been living under a rock or something

In Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne you can side with Lucifer but he is not bad guy there (maybe I'm wrong didn't play in it) and I think in other games of the series you can destroy the world. Also, looks like upcoming game Agony may fulfill your criteria.

Destroy all Humans

Jaws Unleashed is a pretty unknown gane. You literally play the shark and eat people on the beach, destroy boats and kill orcas/dolphins.

RPG's tend to do this the best. Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and the Throne of Bhaal expansion let you get pretty villainous.

Even more so, I would like to see a game where you can basically choose to not be the central focus of the game and instead just be an everyday person. I've heard there's a mod for Skyrim that is sort of like this.

you can do that in Mount & Blade: Warband.
you can start your own kingdom and rule as the king, you can just be a mercenary that fights for money or you can just avoid fighting at all and make money as a merchant etc

In Lucius you are basically the bad guy(kid).

Fable series you can choose to be good or bad.

Back