Media Gane expects to fight Aspinall, but not yet: "I'm no. 1 contender, he's no. 4. Doesn't make sense"

• Pavlovich is the clear #1 contender, regardless of what the rankings (and Gane) say. He should 100% get the winner of Jones/Miocic. If said winner of that title fight retires, then Pavlovich must be one half of a vacant title bout.
  • If Almeida beats Blaydes, he has a good argument for being the other guy in said vacant title bout or for being the next guy up after Pavlovich gets his shot against the winner of Jones/Miocic (assuming no retirement).
  • Gane and Aspinall both realistically need one more win over a Top 10 or better opponent before getting a shot. Considering the state of the division, them fighting one another really makes a lot of sense and it's a fresh match-up.
  • If Blaydes beats Almeida he is -- as usual -- in a weird and unenviable position. I still think he would need one more W to guarantee a title shot and either a Gane fight or Aspinall rematch would be acceptable.
It sucks that Volkov has lost to Gane, Aspinall, and Blaydes in the past few years. He is sitting just outside the Top 5 on a win streak. He is the only other compelling guy to throw into the mix at Heavyweight... I guess you could get away with rematching him against Curtis if need be? Their initial match was a little over three years ago. While Curtis definitely won, it wasn't a resounding performance and Drago came on strong towards the end. Furthermore, that fight was pre-Volkov 2.0 (everyone knows he became 99999% better when he got thick and started sporting the back tat). With Blaydes' offensive grappling not being showcased lately in favor of his striking alongside Volkov's recent improvements in physicality & grappling, the rematch could be quite interesting.

Last edited:
He is smart to wait and see how the November fights play out, given that if there is a vacant title fight he(ranked #1) feels like he could be given another title shot. Why risk it?
Because if there's a vacant title, as of now the proper matchup is clearly Aspinall against Pavlovich. You don't get a title shot off one mediocre win following a complete schooling and a clear loss in your previous two fights, even if those were championship fights.

[edit: forgot about the forgettable win again Tuivasa, which doesn't change the calculus]

Gane lost the the former champion and the current champion. Ngannou and the GOAT. Yet he's afraid of Tom fucking Aspinall. This place never ceases to amaze me. The amount of posters calling professional fighters scared is sickening.

He’s not dumb. Aspinall would end him and he knows it. At least with Jones he’d get paid!

Mad respect to guys like Yan and Burns and Justin and Dariush who were and are willing to take on dangerous up and comers.

This whole mindset like WB and Gane are what ruins our sport.

Imagine if JDS said the same shit and fudge off to Ngannou and Gane?

I do think Gane beats Aspinall.
Aspinall is better everywhere, Gane loses that fight 8/10 times imo, and he knows it.

Kinda bugs me that Gane is back at #1, given he's 2-2 in his last 4.

Stipe's #3 bugs me a bit too. Imo Pav and Aspinall should be ahead of both.

I still get JJ wanting Stipe for "legacy" (and I get some of you disagree, I see both sides), though.

Gane must have forgot that Spivak knew the memo coming into their "match" in Paris

Now that Gane got his easy layup, time for a ranked opponent like Aspinall

I want Gane to face Pavlovich, so I guess to avoid having Aspinall rematch with Volkov he's just going to have to fight Derrick Lewis.

Nah. Gane is better on the feet.
You know just as well as me that it's not just standing they have to worry about. And I don't believe Gane is better on the feet, Aspinall has legit boxing and has been boxing for a long time, just my opinion. By the way Aspinall could submit Gane, he doesn't necessarily have to stand, he has that option and he's that good.

Makes you appreciate guys like Dariush more. Gane has had two title shots. The division needs to move on. Beating Spivak is supposed to give you another title shot?

<JagsKiddingMe>
No i think he's looking to fight sergei for the vacant after jones stipe. Might so work out that Gane fights for the vacant title for sure while sergei and tom fight to see who fights gane for the belt.

It's basically a 3 way race between them and gane has fought the best competition of the three while also being a once interim champ. Seems pretty standard that he get the shot and the other 2 fight for it. Otherwise, all 3 fighters have similar claim imo.... next to maybe Pavlovich, who's only knock is main event experience.

Back