Getting Old is Going to Suck.

I hit my all time physical peak aged 39, in terms of raw muscular strength and endurance. I weighed something like 78kg and would think nothing of running 12 miles before work then benching 110kg at lunchtime. As soon as I hit 40, the warranty on my body expired - tore my shoulder, detached a calf, and sprained my ankle twice.

Weight training is a distant memory, but I still have better than average cardio. I’ll run to work and back tomorrow (14 miles) but it’ll take me an hour each way. Not great, but could be a lot worse.

Don’t fear ageing, just make sure you do it right (wealth, health, and wisdom).

My back has always been sketchy ever since my early 20s when I first started training muay thai and sambo and bangin teh weights, used to gimp out on a regular basis but fortunately my sambo coach was a chiropractor/ physio and could pop it back in place and usually I'd be good to go again pretty quick.

Big problems started with my shoulders when I hit 30, they were goosed and hurt like hell, got cortizone shots, took a year out and started training again but was never the same after that. Also developed bad lower back problems/sciatica and had to give up squatting and deadlifts a good 5 or 6 years ago and can only do close grip bench now otherwise my shoulders flare up bad in no time.

Had a trapped nerve just off the base of my neck kinda in the right trap area since about July last year and the pain was brutal for a while, could hardly sleep for months and training was out of the question but its been easing off a good bit recently so a few days ago decided to try a very light workout for the first time in nearly 10 months. Went ok, despite using pissy light weights still got pretty bad doms but the main thing is it didnt seem to aggrevate the pinched nerve. Just need to build it up slowly now and try and get back to training regularly again.

In summary, hell yeah...gittin old sucks.

Running is just brutal. If you ever hope to run fast, understand that your body will break down unless you are a 1 in 100,000 genetic freak. All but 2 or 3 guys I know from running have a long list of fucked up injuries. OTOH one guy -- who is a freak of nature -- ran sub 30 for 10,000m (that's sub 5min miles for 6 straight miles) at age 41.

Everyone that says lift heavy is not lifting heavy well into their 40s. They've got a long list of injuries including shoulders and back that will put them in chronic pain by their 50s.

I'm trying to squeeze in some mountain climbing and treks before my body quits and then I'm just sticking to cycling and training core.

I hit my all time physical peak aged 39, in terms of raw muscular strength and endurance. I weighed something like 78kg and would think nothing of running 12 miles before work then benching 110kg at lunchtime. As soon as I hit 40, the warranty on my body expired - tore my shoulder, detached a calf, and sprained my ankle twice.

Weight training is a distant memory, but I still have better than average cardio. I’ll run to work and back tomorrow (14 miles) but it’ll take me an hour each way. Not great, but could be a lot worse.

Don’t fear ageing, just make sure you do it right (wealth, health, and wisdom).

You got me beat. I felt like superman between 26 and 29. At 30 an accumulation of minor injuries from sports and lifting made me take a 4-5 month break from everything other than light jogs and stretching. Tried to get back into lifting, but can say with certainty I'm pretty much done at 32.

Been sick the last couple months and can hardly remember what being healthy feels like. Depressing as fuck.

I've just finished my phase of "lifting" and my body is ruined. I'm 26. I've been a cardio guy my whole life. Very limited upper body strength. Every night after the gym I struggled to drive and I'd wake up in agony. Weights are just not for me.

<mma1>

I know a girl that at the age of 25 herniated a DiskStation while cutting pumpkin

Back