Glutes for the Slutes Squat/overhead press Competition

Well it finally happened. DNF’d a workout. Felt a twinge in my upper back during warm ups and 570 felt like a house. Gonna rest up and try again Friday. My arms hurt so bad, low or high bar, that I can barely type this on my phone.

Scratch that, switched to low bar and finished the workout

Scratch that, switched to low bar and finished the workout
I don’t seem to be able to take a very narrow grip. My shoulder tear wasn’t that bad but I am only able to move my grip in like one hand width for high bar. Know any stretches for that anyone? It’s not the worst I guess just kind of weird.

On the progress side of things I’m still creeping along. Press Saturday. Maybe I’ll aim for my old max for reps?

I don’t seem to be able to take a very narrow grip. My shoulder tear wasn’t that bad but I am only able to move my grip in like one hand width for high bar. Know any stretches for that anyone? It’s not the worst I guess just kind of weird.

On the progress side of things I’m still creeping along. Press Saturday. Maybe I’ll aim for my old max for reps?
Low bar I grip at the collars. High bar I grip at about a hand outside shoulder width. I don’t know of any stretches outside of just acting like you’re going in for a squat and holding the position in the rack with the bar.

Man I’m inclined to skip this week and just test next week. It’s the taper week which has the hardest workout yet. 2 sets of 5 with 540 and 3 sets of 4 with 570.

Done with the 540 and 1 set of the 570 down. Reps that feel like grinders are actually moving fast on film. Weird how that happens.

2nd set of 570 down, one left. Then Wednesday is basically a fuck off day, 4x4 with 510 as the top sets. Supposed to max Friday or Saturday but may give it a whole week like at the end of the base cycle.

Good job man! Keep up the good work.

Last day of the taper week. Gonna save the max for Monday and that’s the weight I’ll submit for the competition unless it’s somehow less than what I already posted. Then it’s time to beef up the press.

Did deadlifts for the first time in 13 weeks today, got 615 conventional for a single. Not bad considering my lower back and legs are still iffy from Wednesday’s squats.

Did deadlifts for the first time in 13 weeks today, got 615 conventional for a single. Not bad considering my lower back and legs are still iffy from Wednesday’s squats.
i pulled 600 yesterday myself. stopped there because it wasn't easy, my balance was off for one. gonna be interesting to see our final numbers. hit the ohp one already, so i'm gonna squat 2x a week and really chase that 545.

oh

i have abs!!! not great but visible. #boom. so i did both at the same time, probably won't hit the squat goal though as a result. fuck i'm hungry now

i pulled 600 yesterday myself. stopped there because it wasn't easy, my balance was off for one. gonna be interesting to see our final numbers. hit the ohp one already, so i'm gonna squat 2x a week and really chase that 545.

oh

i have abs!!! not great but visible. #boom. so i did both at the same time, probably won't hit the squat goal though as a result. fuck i'm hungry now
Nice. I don’t have abs but from doing Smolov I had to tighten my lifting belt a notch through the intense phase and my pants fit looser.

Nice. I don’t have abs but from doing Smolov I had to tighten my lifting belt a notch through the intense phase and my pants fit looser.
i am jelly of the 600 squat, never going to hit that

oh

I’ve really neglected my press, probably haven’t done it in a month. Forearms need a break. My press goal is 320 and I just maxed my bench at 335. It wasn’t a strength max but the most I could press due to the excruciating pain. Gonna max my squat on Wednesday and then hop in to smolov junior for press.

I found when I was doing both squats and presses that my lower back would hurt. Think I was overdoing the lumber extension on the press because I have really shitty thoracic mobility. Need to work on that.

Intense phase was completely useless. I just failed 615lbs on the beltless high bar squat. Maybe I’ll throw the belt on and try again. But my 600lbs was beltless and high bar, so I made a net gain of 0lbs in the last 6 weeks.

Here’s 635# with a belt. Let this be a teachable moment. If you plan to test your max beltless, do both phases of Smolov beltless. Or just wear the damn belt for the whole thing like a sane person would do.

Here’s 635# with a belt. Let this be a teachable moment. If you plan to test your max beltless, do both phases of Smolov beltless. Or just wear the damn belt for the whole thing like a sane person would do.

We have the same shoes

That’s a lot of weight moving really fast. Just a ttttaaaddd high though I think. Still, the strength gains are noticeable!

That’s a lot of weight moving really fast. Just a ttttaaaddd high though I think. Still, the strength gains are noticeable!
I scrutinized the depth quite a bit myself, it’s deeper than what I was offering at the beginning of the comp and also as low as I can go with the belt on, hence the bounce out of the bottom. The shirt obscures the hip crease and my big legs make it look worse than it is.

Back