Good guy with a gun (uniformed cop) at Parkland Highschool shooting didn't engage shooter...

? He was suspended, then resigned and retired according to your quote.

And yes, he should’ve gone in and all officers, myself included, should be expected to do the same. We train to do it fairly often nowadays. If another unit is a few seconds out you can wait to form a 2 man team but anything more than 30 seconds and I’m going in alone. I’d expect no less from any officer worth his salt to do the same for my kid.

Not having many details about this particular instance, if it ends up being as bad as it sounds then fuck that guy.

Thank you for saying that. I am just an untrained guy with a pistol and I KNOW I would go in and try to kill that fucker. I may be overconfident but I just think there is always the chance that you dont have to even engage in fire fight with a guy like that- you could just luck out and come in behind him you know? Either way there are not many better ways to die than while defending children right?

Last time i had to put myself at risk was a guy (big fit guy) literally choking a woman in an old beater car at the park by my work. I absolutely put myself in harms way to stop him and he almost came at me and he probably could kick my ass but right is right and you have to stand up for what is right or what is the point of being alive?

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have swore multiple times the news said the protocol after Sandy Hook is go in there and engage the shooter because hanging out safely outside will mean more little kids dead. They cited at least one instance where the shooter killed himself the moment good guys with guns showed up for firefight.

That seems the most logical & obvious. I was leaving a grain of doubt, because I don't know the protocol firsthand, but yeah. Hard to imagine it any other way.

I'm speaking out of my ass a little bit here, but it seems logistically, a setting like a school offers less advantage for a rifle anyway, meaning a trained guy with a pistol has a real chance of helping, creeping around corners inside, looking for the scumbag. I could understand to a degree not wanting to pursue someone with superior firepower in an open field at great distance or something. This was not that, it's a building interior. Anyone armed waiting outside just seems like a pussy failing those kids.

Then you remember those shooters had body armor, and their handguns were ineffective.

I'd be interesting to hear if these cops in Florida had their body armor on, since we know Nicholas Cruz didn't have any.
Wouldn't have mattered. Anyone except SWAT would only have soft Level III's on at most which will do nothing against a rifle round. You go in anyway.

Pure cowardice....I think some people become cops thinking there will never come a time where they actually might be fired upon or potentially killed. This guy might be one of them.

There is waiting for backup, and there is hiding while young kids are slaughtered by the dozen. He accepted a position to protect children, and then did not even try.

Shameful. The best thing this guy could do is issue a public statement saying he froze up and when faced with danger was not the hero he thought he could be, and beg for forgiveness.

If you're going to have campus/school security, it's not unreasonable to expect them to actually do something when a school shooting goes down.

Then again, this guy was a school resource officer and was either very out of practice or never saw any action to begin with. Not justifiable but I can see why he shat his pants and waited outside.

I'd like to think I would have done more but I am reminded of the time I saw a death adder (very deadly snake) on the path beside my house.

Brick wall to the left, rock to the right. I had no option but to jump over it, which I did.

In hindsight walking back the way id come would be the smarter play.

Once safely inside I looked out the window and saw its legs.

Conclusion, I assessed poorly and acted terribly when I felt my life was in danger.

I'd like to think I would have done more but I am reminded of the time I saw a death adder (very deadly snake) on the path beside my house.

Brick wall to the left, rock to the right. I had no option but to jump over it, which I did.

In hindsight walking back the way id come would be the smarter play.

Once safely inside I looked out the window and saw its legs.

Conclusion, I assessed poorly and acted terribly when I felt my life was in danger.

It's impossible to know how you're going to react until you're in a life or death situation. Most often it's just fight or flight natural instinct that takes over (unless of course you are trained in high pressure, dangerous situations).

I don't know anything about this armed guard and how experienced he was, but he did have a duty to do his best to protect the children and teachers at that school.

Yeah that Walt was a cheeky motherfucker:

Shut not your doors to me, proud high schools,
For that which was lacking among you all, yet needed most, I bring;
A rifle I have made for your dear sake, O students,
And for you, O football coach, and you, athletic director;
The bullets of my gun mean nothing, the firing of them everything;
A rifle semiautomatic, not banned in Florida, nor caught by campus cops;
But you will feel every bullet, O Libtard! un-arm’d Libtard!
They shall pass through your flesh to swim the air, the walls,
With joy in slaughtering you, O students.

You know the coach who got shot trying to cover kids and the other couple of students who got shot trying to impede this m*********** they didn't even have guns they didn't have nothing but there was no question they tried to help so this c********* cop does not get a pass because he was armed he had a means to fight this m*********** to do something but he chose not to.
no excuse for that guy.

Not in my opinion.

Voice to txt.

Sheriff now says there might have been 2 more cops there

hello once more sickc0d3r,

to use the words of our POTUS (when asked about arming US teachers), "we need offensive capacity".

i don't know how you read that, but it sounds like weaponizing teachers to me.
I don't know what frumpy is calling for, but I am not advocating for handing out guns to people.

no?

i'm not an underwriter, but having a gun inside one's home increases the risk of a homicide within that home by 40%. its not really that hard to imagine a bit of a rate adjustment, no?

one "accident" with that gun could bankrupt an entire municipality, lol. i think you'll see some rate hikes.
I honestly can't speak to how this works. I'm not privy to the workings of liability insurance at a school. However, there are shooting ranges that offer training for kids, and some schools had their own shooting ranges as recently as a decade ago, maybe some still do. Plenty have armed cops. So I guess there is a precedent.

In my day we kept our shotguns and rifles in our pickup trucks parked in the lot! But times certainly have changed.

no my friend, i've no children. i think that actually makes me a little more objective.
You might be more objective, but do you think you might also lack perspective?

The teachers that I trust with my daughter are going to be my neighbors.

THOSE are the people I will trust to look out for her if god forbid something happens. They will know her, and we will have a relationship. That's exactly why that coach gave his life shielding kids in Parkland. He cared enough to die because he lived among their families and spent every day with them.

My girl is not going to be raised to be a victim, and she's not going to give power to lunatics. To learn this she’s going to need me to guide her and when I'm not there, whoever I trust to take care of her will have to be. That's all on me to navigate for her. So I don't really have the luxury of discounting events as statistically irrelevant. I wish I did. I can promise you the statistics don't mean dick to anyone in Parkland right now, and every time this kind of thing happens people want to take some kind of action because they have kids of their own and empathize with the victims.

Unfortunately the federal government is useless, so we can't hope for much from them. But we can sure take care of each other. We don't really need anybody else.

lol, we'd have to agree to disagree. the way i see it, the reason a nuke hasn't gone off yet is luck. just dumb luck.

- IGIT
Do you even cold war, bro?:)

Last edited:
I don't blame him for not wanting to confront a shooter with an ar-15 by himself with a glock--that's a fight you're going to lose 95% of the time.

If we are going to have officers in schools to protect against school shootings they should walk around looking like this, as it's the appropriate "readiness" for the forseen threat.

swat1.png

Maybe if he was properly equipped he would have found the courage to act.

I would think school resource officers probably aren't the best cops in the force.

I don't blame him for not wanting to confront a shooter with an ar-15 by himself with a glock--that's a fight you're going to lose 95% of the time.

If we are going to have officers in schools to protect against school shootings they should walk around looking like this, as it's the appropriate "readiness" for the forseen threat.

swat1.png

Maybe if he was properly equipped he would have found the courage to act.

You and so many here are normalizing cowardice. I just cant relate to this at all. This thread seems almost surreal to me watching it unfold. There has been a shift in the american mind if we can argue for this guy freezing.....

It is not OK and it is not normal. It is not. Any man ought to be willing and psychologically ready to go after that fucker to save the lives of kids..... Our whole lives ought to he partially a preparation to put our own life at risk to save others.....

This is not about egoic pride or keyboard warrior shit. This is about basic prep for being a man in society.

Because we really need you Motherfuckers walking around looking tough, AFTER IT'S ALL OVER!

-1x-1.jpg

newtown1.jpg

121216080245-01-newtown-1216-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg
It just occurred to me, what do the SWAT guys do with their time when there is not a crisis situation? Are they always together, on-call, like firemen? Maybe they can guard some schools until they are called elsewhere. In my opinion we need the best of the best protecting our kids, not these lazy clowns (not all) looking for an easy paycheck...

It just occurred to me, what do the SWAT guys do with their time when there is not a crisis situation? Are they always together, on-call, like firemen? Maybe they can guard some schools until they are called elsewhere. In my opinion we need the best of the best protecting our kids, not these lazy clowns (not all) looking for an easy paycheck...

Nearly all SWAT teams are part time and this is an additional dedication besides their current assignment.

Nearly all SWAT teams are part time and this is an additional dedication besides their current assignment.

Yeah, as I understand it, only the biggest police departments have full time SWAT teams. LAPD and NYPD have full time units, and the FBI have the Hostage Rescue Team.

Yeah, as I understand it, only the biggest police departments have full time SWAT teams. LAPD and NYPD have full time units, and the FBI have the Hostage Rescue Team.

Correct there are more examples but the percentage is something like 85% of teams are part time throughout the US. The original posters thought is good in theory but there's just not enough of us and Police departments throughout the US are understaffed.

A full time security force for schools would have to be financed through other means or the schools themselves.

You and so many here are normalizing cowardice. I just cant relate to this at all. This thread seems almost surreal to me watching it unfold. There has been a shift in the american mind if we can argue for this guy freezing.....

It is not OK and it is not normal. It is not. Any man ought to be willing and psychologically ready to go after that fucker to save the lives of kids..... Our whole lives ought to he partially a preparation to put our own life at risk to save others.....

This is not about egoic pride or keyboard warrior shit. This is about basic prep for being a man in society.

Take it you've never has an adrenaline dump.

It's perfectly normal for people to freeze up in high risk unfamiliar situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back