Gracie Combatives - What the hell?

lol chill out man i got carried away when i was typing i meant side mount you know this.

Aside from that all, is there a jiu jitsu gym in your area?

Yes several the best one I know of is called wolf clan it says its one of the biggest gyms in the south east and has is a 3 time world champion teaching BJJ. I think his name is Helio Soneca. Then when helio cant come Brandon Bledsoe teaches which he looks to have really good credentials as well. As far as gyms theres a lot around where I live.

Yes several the best one I know of is called wolf clan it says its one of the biggest gyms in the south east and has is a 3 time world champion teaching BJJ. I think his name is Helio Soneca. Then when helio cant come Brandon Bledsoe teaches which he looks to have really good credentials as well. As far as gyms theres a lot around where I live.

Do you not know who Helio Soneca is? Do yourself a favor, give your blue belt back to rener and tell him to suck it and start training at Helio's gym.

Do you not know who Helio Soneca is? Do yourself a favor, give your blue belt back to rener and tell him to suck it and start training at Helio's gym.

haha i just train dont know much about who anybody is. Im guessing by that response hes pretty dang good at what he teaches.

haha i just train dont know much about who anybody is. Im guessing by that response hes pretty dang good at what he teaches.

You should really learn this stuff, I mean I don't know how much you love jiu jitsu. But I can tell you if you do, you should really reconsider what and how you are learning. Helio Soneca is world class BB. Pan American champion, World's champion, Brazilian champion, and the list goes on.

Why don't you just go check it out and see if you like it??

You should really learn this stuff, I mean I don't know how much you love jiu jitsu. But I can tell you if you do, you should really reconsider what and how you are learning. Helio Soneca is world class BB. Pan American champion, World's champion, Brazilian champion, and the list goes on.

Why don't you just go check it out and see if you like it??

O i love BJJ. Its awesome. I may go check it out, and still do online too. Its only 4 miles from my house lol.

Helio Soneca is not a 3 time world champion. He was very good back in the day before he got injured and he won a lot of big events, but he only won the Worlds once. The first year they had it IIRC. I think he beat Megaton in the finals.

Brandon was scheduled to fight a friend of mine a few months back, but got injured. I think he broke his nose in training and had to drop out. It's funny you brought him up because my buddy actually called me in to mimic his game and help him train for it. Brandon is undoubtedly a tough guy with a lot of experience, but he doesn't have the best competition record if that's what you mean by credentials. I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy; he's got a lot of experience, he's always game to fight, and I'm sure he's a great instructor. I just wasn't sure what direction you were going with this.

Edit-
O i love BJJ. Its awesome. I may go check it out, and still do online too. Its only 4 miles from my house lol.

It would only do you good. I guess you were going a different direction than i anticipated.

Yeah I just noticed that. I can't wait til one of these guys actually gets into a street fight and recorded on video. That will be an awesome thread.

I don't think they would post a video of themselves getting KTFO'd which is the most likely outcome.

Well whats your school name. Honestly unless your an instructor idk how you do it that much. I have never seen a school that offers BJJ 3 times a day 2 hour classes everyday. If your school does than then your at an awesome school, but thats not the cases with most schools. Yes I do work my butt off and i will not be discredited for that my man.
I don't know if you saw my last post in response to your post on GC training vs BJJ training.

Quantity =/= quality. Without an instructor supervising you can't have quality. You have no constant critique of your technique and adjusting of techniques to suit your strengths and weaknesses. You have no one there to answer questions if you have them. And without a wide range of training partners of differing skill, gameplans, size, your resistance training is severely limited, regardless of how much sparring or rolling you do with your one partner.

Again, I think GC is a great supplement, the techniques seem pretty valuable, and I think training BJJ for self defense is fantastic. But just because their approach isn't sport oriented, doesn't mean it can get away with less of a learning environment. Since the goal is preserving your life vs winning a gold colored piece of plastic, I would imagine they should encourage going to an actual academy with an instructor. Learning skills to save your own life isn't something you can learn solely through video. And it's definitely not something you should be evaluated for via video correspondence.

Its only 4 miles from my house lol.

You're 4 miles from training with Helio Soneca, and instead you buy shitty videos that simulate teaching - rather than ACTUALLY getting taught by a great BJJ practioner....

Dude, go to the school. It'll make your GC stuff make a lot more sense. Hell, you could even show the instructors there the techniques, and they can tell you how they work, not to mention show you tons of variations.

ugh... slaps forehead, again.

You're 4 miles from training with Helio Soneca, and instead you buy shitty videos that simulate teaching - rather than ACTUALLY getting taught by a great BJJ practioner....

Dude, go to the school. It'll make your GC stuff make a lot more sense. Hell, you could even show the instructors there the techniques, and they can tell you how they work, not to mention show you tons of variations.

ugh... slaps forehead, again.

Don't beat yourself up too badly.

Now we get to own in two different threads.

I havent read all 11 pages
As a business opportunity it is absolute shit
They will not let any one else teach Gracie combatitives with in 5 miles
How are you meant to build up your client base
if some bozo 6 miles away is teaching the same shit

I havent read all 11 pages
As a business opportunity it is absolute shit
They will not let any one else teach Gracie combatitives with in 5 miles
How are you meant to build up your client base
if some bozo 6 miles away is teaching the same shit

Around here(Long Island), 5 miles is a long way for us. For ex: Joe Scarola's Gracie Barra school is about 5 miles from my school. My school is also about 5 miles away from Soca's academy. Soca is about 5 miles from Serra's and about 10 from my academy. And we all have Renzo in the city 20 miles away. As well as a ton of other legit guys in Queens.

Warm ups, drill three or four random techniques a few times and roll. Sound familiar?

Nope, my school doesnt do "random techniques". Everything is a sequence or a position of focus for the week/month or so.

Back