GSP has outdated take down technque and will have no answer for Khabib *serious discussion only

GSP has outwrestled far superior wrestlers to Khabib who are bigger

Yepp... Size matters too much when it comes to wrestling.

GSP vs Khabib will be a standup fight,
8 inch reach advantage is kinda stupid to be honest

He basically only has a sloppy double. He don't want to take Khabib down anyway. He'll get subbed.

His best chance is to keep the fight standing.

"Only a sloppy double"

tumblr_n4kcpjT12P1tynw6to1_400.gif

T8XFt.gif

gsp_throw_elbow.gif

UFC79-GSPXMattHughes-R2-1-TD-400-sg-slomo.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

GSP haters are consistently noobs to this sport.

The meta of MMA has evolved. Single leg and double leg take down defense is standard, just like having BJJ defense is a standard. That is why people like Khabib had to evolve their take downs by using cage walls and trips.

Khabib was once like GSP. He primarily set up his takedowns using striking, then changed levels for a double/single. That was successful for a period until the Tibau fight in which he got nullified. After that fight you will notice he completely changed his take down strategy. This is in huge part because he joined AKA where he learned to wrestle with Cormier. The rest is history. No one can stop his take downs.

GSP is an athlete not a fighter. He relied on his athleticism to cover up his chin, which at times has been wobbled by the likes of Hendricks, Condit. After getting exposed by an unranked long shot Serra, GSP changed his game to something safe, valuing point fighting over taking any risk.

It took a juiced Hendricks just to be on the same level as GSP. If a juiced fighter can barely keep up with GSP, it really speaks volumes on how much GSP trains. He has the muscle definition, size and endurance that you don't see in many people who can fight for long periods of time.

GSP's success relied in part because of his timing/explosiveness/technique. If we were to make a pie chart of how much each has contributed to his wins it would look like this.

3dfsfm.png

Given that explosiveness and timing are largely dependent on age, it would be irrefutable to assume that GSP maintained his peak physical form after that many years. This is further supported by GSP slow and sluggish performance against Bisping who was a man already set on retirement while training for GSP.

Khabib will be able to easily stuff GSP's archaic takedowns and demonstrate just how far MMA wrestling has come, by showing techniques that were never thought possible by GSP or any of his past opponents.
cereal.jpg

Khabib is not an evolution .
He is an aberration.
What we got accustomed to see,offensive Grappling,based more on athleticism and what he does based more on pure technic(the way he does)is not something someone can pick up just by learning and training.
You need to be raised with that.
But
That doesn’t mean that a more traditional approach wouldn’t work against him.

IMHO a extremely high level traditional wrestler with a very powerful entry can put him down.
Im not saying he would KEEP him down though.

That guy 10 years ago was GSP.

Today,like you said,most of what made Georges almost impossible to stop is probably gone.

And I honestly think a fight with then(at LW)today would be a mismatch.

your AV is the best thing since salma hayek in dusk til dawn

GSP has outwrestled far superior wrestlers to Khabib who are bigger

no he hasnt.
he out wrestled koschek and fitch, who are both absolutely amazing wrestlers but neither are as good as khabib.

he completely avoided grappling with Jake Shields.

I think when gsp finally shows up to fight, there will be nothing left from his legendary power double

Wrestling is literally the most archaic sport in the world. It's been around for thousands of years.

Only thing that's changed is that they thankfully now wear a singlet.
19.-GettyImages-479640951-2b53d0e.jpg
pankration is just as old, which is just kickboxing and wrestling

GSP blast double within 45s.
Even if severely dehydrated to make 155.

How are his knees?

I’m trying to remember his last, clean and explosive blast double and only remember him taking a lot more punishment than usual his last 3 fights or so.

**Insert Hughes getting judo tossed here**

2 of the best guys in the world fighting each other to see who is the best both training to the next level. Id fly out to where this fights goung to be at if I can I will.

And if you had a time machine that could have a young, fit GSP fight Khabib I'd watch it. But GSP is old and took four years off (in an admittedly well earned retirement). He was slow and out of shape against Bisping, and will be older, slower, and more out of shape against Khabib. Prime GSP was amazing. Old GSP is moderately good and tires easily. Not exactly an interesting match.

How are his knees?

I’m trying to remember his last, clean and explosive blast double and only remember him taking a lot more punishment than usual his last 3 fights or so.

His double became noticeably slower and shallower after his knee injury. Any wrestler can explain why. In fact his general movement became slower after the knee injury -- and again, its pretty easy to explain why.

And if you had a time machine that could have a young, fit GSP fight Khabib I'd watch it. But GSP is old and took four years off (in an admittedly well earned retirement). He was slow and out of shape against Bisping, and will be older, slower, and more out of shape against Khabib. Prime GSP was amazing. Old GSP is moderately good and tires easily. Not exactly an interesting match.

Funny you say that, he was so winded against Bisping I was worried.

How are his knees?

Hendricks 1st round, some 10s in?

no he hasnt.
he out wrestled koschek and fitch, who are both absolutely amazing wrestlers but neither are as good as khabib.

he completely avoided grappling with Jake Shields.
He grapplefucked Diaz. Not a great wrestling feat per se, but he controlled him on the ground completly. And Diaz 's BJJ was supposed to be threatening...

Hendricks 1st round, some 10s in?

I don’t know his stats, has he been taking guys down less? Like I said, I don’t remember him blanketing people the same way, I just remember his face looking tore up as he got older. I would imagine he’d simply take guys down more frequently to avoid getting punched in the face — if he could.

It would be a bad idea for GSP to attempt a td against Khabib. He needs to try and keep fight standing.

I don’t know his stats, has he been taking guys down less? Like I said, I don’t remember him blanketing people the same way, I just remember his face looking tore up as he got older. I would imagine he’d simply take guys down more frequently to avoid getting punched in the face — if he could.
I would as well. I suppose its not as easy for him these days, but still possible and even likely. Imo ofc.

"GSP has no techniques" How can you be so ignorant of the sport to say such nonsense.

If GSP want to takedown khabib he will do it.

Back