"Has Anyone Heard of The Left/Right Game?" - best piece of amateur writing I've ever read

I read the entire thing, it was long for a reddit post, but short for what Could be a soldi Stephen king novel.

I don't know if the author came up with the concept, but that what's make the story good. It's an instant urban legend idea that can be tried at home with no risk to whichever stoned kids give it a shot. It could be a movie, but they'd need to dump a lot of the second half of the story, and probably need to redo the ending entirely.

The downside, predictable action scenes, too much variety in monsters without any back story for their existence, timeline wasn't defined tightly or loosely enough, so it felt inconsistent. It got a bit too grand at the end and the writing couldn't keep up. Finally, the found record element needed tightening or removal. Seems like a lot of criticism, but really I think it was one of the best uses of that format I've read.

One of the best stories I've read on NoSleep.

@BEER did you ever check out those national park stories I recommended you check out on NoSleep?

The cliffs in this thread are fantastic..

Keep it up people..

I'm into part 7 and considering stopping. The first few parts are an incredible read. They really feel like a found transcript. At this point, though, it feels like I'm reading a novel written by a developing writer who isn't great at characterization.

I'll finish just because I think the writer did such a phenomenal job in the beginning and I know how hard it is to finish long works like this, but I really hooe it gets better.

That wasn’t too bad.

The first portion of each part confused me. Was that the TS’s opening words? Part of the story? The TS pretending that the story is real? Whatever it was I ended up skipping most of em as they came across as too forced and fake. Suppose you need some type of opening bit on reddit?(no clue, never used site, it's layout is nightmarish and unfriendly looking to even look at)

Started this morning b/c this thread, starting part 6 now.

Has anyone heard about the five or six people who said they read the entire story but then somehow died mysteriously like some two weeks later?

Edit: Eight so far.

@BEER did you ever check out those national park stories I recommended you check out on NoSleep?

I think I dug into the first one, but never got further than that. I'm usually bad about the series!

It was good. Starts to feel long winded in the last couple of parts. I could see it being a movie with a few changes.

It was good. Starts to feel long winded in the last couple of parts. I could see it being a movie with a few changes.

I do wish the ending was a bit more ambiguous, to be honest. But endings are where most great stories falter, and it's easy, as an observer, to criticize it.

Gonna finish the last two parts tonight I think.

I agree it has somewhat fell apart slightly but it is bound to the longer it goes on and the writer starts thinking thing up on the spot.

I hope it doesn't go to a movie, it will be another Netflix 1 million budget, rushed job, leave it as a short story, people get to emotional when they are loving what they read and instantly start thinking 'next exorcist!'

Case in point is Slender Man, watch how shit that is gonna be.

I started it just because of this thread. Read part 1 and 2 and I'm hooked, even though I hate reading

This is up there in replay-factor (reread factor) with I Dared My Best Friend To Ruin My Life series.

Just finished. Wow, what a ride. The ending somehow fit perfectly, not at all what I expected but a wonderful experience.

Going to print out the 10-parts on a hard copy and let my grandmother read this, she loves to read and I think this is something that is worth sharing.

Thanks TS!

This is up there in replay-factor (reread factor) with I Dared My Best Friend To Ruin My Life series.
Have that series bookmarked to read next, found it in the comments section of “Left/Right game”

Do you think it was as good as this?

Have that series bookmarked to read next, found it in the comments section of “Left/Right game”

Do you think it was as good as this?

Definitely. It's, at very least, equally as engaging.

So late last night I'm over on Reddit in the NoSLeep section. I found this series called "Has Anyone Heard Of The Left/Right Game?" I see it has great reviews and comments, and I was bored so I started reading. *MIND BLOWN! :eek: This is SO good! Very creepy, interesting, mysterious, engaging, original.....It's easily the best amateur writing I've ever read. There are comments telling the author to send this to Hollywood asap, and I agree. It's that good.

Only downside is it's fairly long. It's a 10 part series and each part is fairly long. But well worth it. I have a short attention span so I actually skipped like half of part 1, until I caught something that interested me. From that point on it sucked me in. I woke up and finished part 10 (the last part) this morning. It's outstanding. I'm about to go back and reread the first part I skimmed through.

Have any of you guys read this yet? If so, what did you think? If not, trust me, do yourselves a favor and take the time to read through it. Then report back here and give us your thoughts.

I'm trying to only post the link here, but for some reason it's showing up as media and posting the entire first page here. Not sure why:

Good read. I think it has legit screenplay potential.
{<redford} thanks TS

That wasn’t too bad.

The first portion of each part confused me. Was that the TS’s opening words? Part of the story? The TS pretending that the story is real? Whatever it was I ended up skipping most of em as they came across as too forced and fake. Suppose you need some type of opening bit on reddit?(no clue, never used site, it's layout is nightmarish and unfriendly looking to even look at)

Yeah that's one of the requirements over on NoSleep....the authors and the comments have to all pretend like the stories are true.

The beginning portions in each part of this story are from a friend of Alice (the protagonist). Alice wrote most of the story, all the interview-esque portions. But the beginning portions were written by a friend of Alice's. He says Alice had gone to Phoenix to try out this left/right game, and had been missing for awhile. Then out of the blue he received an email from Alice, and that email contained the interview parts of the story that Alice had written. So the beginning portions are all supposed to be Alice's friend asking redditors if anyone has any info on this left right game or the people and places mentioned in Alice's email. He's supposed to be trying to track her down.

Back