Has anyone here gone back to school after years in your respective industry?

Thoughts?

• Total voters
I haven't but I'm dying to. Mortgage/wife/children is what's stopping me. But I really want to start all over again and do a degree in Architecture.

Maybe I'll just ditch the family and go for it, idk

When you say shipping. do you mean like big boats? Or like driving shit around for amazon.
Ships yes, think of it like 'Uber for the ocean' for customers who want to move cargo around the world.

I haven't but I'm dying to. Mortgage/wife/children is what's stopping me. But I really want to start all over again and do a degree in Architecture.

I'm going to do most of it online

Ships yes, think of it like 'Uber for the ocean' for customers who want to move cargo around the world.
I've always wanted to be involved in that kind of shipping. Ever since hearing a song about it when I was a kid (The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald) which was odd cause the song was about a ship sinking. But the ocean has always been something I would love to be on.

when I was in school, I kept thinking "when this is over, you are never coming back"

so I graduated and have been done with studies, although I wouldnt mind being able to learn computer hacking skills because chicks dig that

I've always wanted to be involved in that kind of shipping. Ever since hearing a song about it when I was a kid (The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald) which was odd cause the song was about a ship sinking. But the ocean has always been something I would love to be on.
In my 25 years, I've only had one ship sink for a company I worked for. only the chief engineer survived and barely at that. I've had a few crushed crewmembers by ships equipment, one guy washed off the poop deck in rough weather, a ship taken by Somali pirates for three months and hell even my own father who was a superintendent was beaten by Nigerian pirates on a ship he was sent down to supervise.

Life at Sea is not easy. I am shore bases and responsible for negotiating contracts with customers who want to move their cargo on our ships from point a to point b

In my 25 years, I've only had one ship sink for a company I worked for. only the chief engineer survived and barely at that. I've had a few crushed crewmembers by ships equipment, one guy washed off the poop deck in rough weather, a ship taken by Somali pirates for three months and he'll even my own father who was a superintendent was beaten by Nigerian pirates on a ship he was sent down to supervise.

Life at Sea is not easy. I am shore bases and responsible for negotiating contracts with customers who want to move their cargo on our ships from point a to point b

Originally I opted to go into the Navy, but they weren't recruiting for the positions I wanted at the time. Lately I've been considering the police force (Note that in Australia our police jobs are far safer than in the USA or England). But I'm really undecided on what to do in life. Turning 30 just kind of made me even more confused because I feel like a failure because I still don't know what I want to do.

I think it's dependent on your school, and my school has pretty much stated that they aren't allowed for legal reasons. Has something to do with a privacy act, minors, etc. I think they can get sued or something if a minor gets recorded unwillingly so they just decided to not worry about that. Also, every uni is offered a credit or no credit for any class even your core and major courses, and even the big-name colleges like Stanford aren't batting an eye at that.

No, the webcam has to do with FERPA and it's a security/ID issue. There's zero problem using webcams.

Hey man, Ricky Williams did it. Dude was supposed to be the TBE or something along those lines in the NFL and he just upped and left . Moved to a small town in the mountains and lives a pretty chill life.

Yes, recently graduated with my BSN-RN (after obviously taking my licensing exam) after years at IBM. First few months working as a nurse have been rough but this is what I wanted.

I looked into getting my highschool equivalency (GED) here in Canada after I got my plumbing/gas fitter tickets. The lady on the the phone chuckled while telling me there's no need once you have any post secondary certificates. Derp. I'd be willing to bet you've completed courses, or on the job training that would also trump a highschool diploma. I know around here they take life and work experience into consideration as far as getting your equivalency papers. Something to look into..

I looked into getting my highschool equivalency (GED) here in Canada after I got my plumbing/gas fitter tickets. The lady on the the phone chuckled while telling me there's no need once you have any post secondary certificates. Derp. I'd be willing to bet you've completed courses, or on the job training that would also trump a highschool diploma. I know around here they take life and work experience into consideration as far as getting your equivalency papers. Something to look into..
no sir, i am some industry related courses i took very early on in my apprenticeship but thats it.

Look into a competency based program, such as WGU. It can be cheaper and faster but it’s tough to find logistics programs. These are legit degrees and easier for professionals to obtain. If I could find one in logistics or ops management I’d do it.

a GED is not tough to ace, but if you're going back to school, pick something you're gonna love to do as a 2nd career, dont pick a business degree just because there will be jobs available.

my peers have unused and unnecessary business and communications degrees. we're all salespeople!

I've been in the shipping industry going into my 25th year this May.

I NEARLY finished 11th grade but fell into an apprenticeship at 18 which I decided was more for me.

I'm worried that our industry, or at least the segment i'm in, will not exist in 10 years time.

I've decided that I will get my GED and then follow up and try to get a degree in Logistics or Business thereafter. I'm essentially a geography (and a ground hog) expert, however looking through prep classes for taking the GED, my excellent skills will not help me one iota.

Does anyone here have experience with going back to school later in life?

I'd appreciate any tips or advice.
I remember having some older adults in my classes in college. They were typically the best students in the class.

I did an MBA about 10 years after finishing my undergrad, I was a lot more focused second time around, less partying etc. Was tough fitting it in with family and full time work but got through it, key is figuring out if you work better late at night or very early in the morning.

Did you get these degrees 'just because' or will it provide you with an upper hand for jobs or help you command a higher salary?

I definitely did it because it would have been part of getting me to where I wanted to end up at the end in that others had them. I had the same technical knowledge as them but wanted to ensure that if they presented an idea, I could follow the train of thought even if I disagreed.

I took many years off of school, after two years of college, and went back when I was 26. I know it’s not exactly what you are asking, but I did do it, and it was hard. And it was hard for a few reasons:
I was working 30 - 35 hours a week.
I was going into upper division classes for my major, and had been away long enough to forget all the fundamentals they teach you in the lower division classes. I had to relearn a lot of it.
I was older than everyone. It was only by a few years, but those few years made a huge difference. I realized how fucking dumb and annoying kids in their early twenties were. They annoyed the shit out of me. I once walked by a girl talking on her phone and heard her say “Dave Groll is the best drummer in the world.” Look, I do like Dave Groll. But he’s not even close to being anywhere near the best drummer in the world. He is quite mediocre when it comes to playing drums. He may actually be a better guitarist.

Anyway, it was a struggle, but it was worth it.

I started my degree after twenty years in the Navy and five years in the shipyard. It is very doable. Most of my classmates were 30+ and many were 40+ like me.
I encourage you to expand your horizons and as a Sherdogger, I can assure you that you are smarter than a great many people with degrees.

Back