Has the ideal male body shifted culturally - especially among young people?

Tentacle

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Yes, this is a gay thread. With that said let's get started.

I think I have noticed the last years that, now this is completely anecdotal of course, that less people seem to do the classic heavylifts at the gym not only that but I have seen more and more of my friends abadonning the heavy lifting for long distance running for lighter weight workouts 1-2 times a dweek. Some do only body weight exercises.

Me too have started to run more but mostly for mental benefit as well for cardio. About once a week I run 5k to the Park, do a tabata round of burpees ans then just some dips and bullups in the Outdoors gym. And every time the place is backed. A lot of young dudes are doing calisthenics and acrobatic shit. They have less muscles but at the same time are able to stay at a lower body fat percentage so they all have six-packs. Parkour seem to be here to stay too as is skateboarding and surfing and those activities seem to promote solid&tight.

Have the ideals gone from:

usa_today_9934568.0.jpg

To:

_225d834e-5f1a-11e8-828c-aa2fd3852b8f.jpg

AssetFactory.aspx

meb-keflezighi-abs.jpg

Do you think this is an correct observation?

Last edited:
Other than runners with the skinny arms, these dudes are all built similarly.

No
Some people just have bad genetics or diet differently.

Other than runners with the skinny arms, these dudes are all built similarly.

Yeah, the examples were perhaps not the best. But the principle seem to be: Overall lower mass, especially in legs, traps and pecs for the benefit of lower permanent fat percentage.

Better those athletes rather than effeminate kpop group.

Yeah, the examples were perhaps not the best. But the principle seem to be: Overall lower mass, especially in legs, traps and pecs for the benefit of lower permanent fat percentage.

I don't remember a time during which it seemed like women preferred more bulky dudes over lean ones.

I know it's always been a trope in films, but as long as I've been sexually aware, lean muscular dudes always seemed to attract women more than bulkier gym-rat types.

Better those athletes rather than effeminate kpop group.

Yeah, of course. I'm all for this. It is probably good for your overall health to do more running+calisthenics than being a bulky gym rat.

Dorian Yates and his cow belly wrecked it for everyone.

I don't remember a time during which it seemed like women preferred more bulky dudes over lean ones.

I know it's always been a trope in films, but as long as I've been sexually aware, lean muscular dudes always seemed to attract women more than bulkier gym-rat types.

hmm..maybe.

To some degree I also think it is a class question too. No-one is really doing bodybuilding here any more except for a few people that all seem not have a higher socioeconomic level - not trash in anyway but going for serious mass isn't anything I would associate with successful people today. The "cool" thing for people around 30 seem to be running a couple of half marathons a year+but still do some strength for some muscles.

Are you kidding me? So many wannabe bros out there that want to look like Rich Fucking Piana.. Juiced to gills..

hmm..maybe.

To some degree I also think it is a class question too. No-one is really doing bodybuilding here any more except for a few people that all seem not have a higher socioeconomic level - not trash in anyway but going for serious mass isn't anything I would associate with successful people today. The "cool" thing for people around 30 seem to be running a couple of half marathons a year+but still do some strength for some muscles.

I think it's actually true, to an extent. Getting "huge" seemed to be way more common 10 years ago.

I gauge the youths by MTV reality shows. In the original seasons, the Jersey Shore Cast was all about GTL and getting huge. Now, Ron is still pretty big, but Pauly is lean, Vinnie is the Keto Guido, and The Situation is fat.

Theory checks out.

Are you kidding me? So many wannabe bros out there that want to look like Rich Fucking Piana.. Juiced to gills..

No. I haven't even seen anyone wanting to look him for a couple of years. Me living in Europe probably also affects this a lot.

Last edited:
I think it's actually true, to an extent. Getting "huge" seemed to be way more common 10 years ago.

I gauge the youths by MTV reality shows. In the original seasons, the Jersey Shore Cast was all about GTL and getting huge. Now, Ron is still pretty big, but Pauly is lean, Vinnie is the Keto Guido, and The Situation is fat.

Theory checks out.

Totally agree.

No. I haven't even seen anyone wanting to like him for a couple of years. Me living in Europe probably also affects this a lot.

Ya man I visited London, nobody looks like they Lift there. So many Skinny Jeans, Emo, wannabe euro dj club dudes.. Terrible male examples from what i saw.

Ideal male body to who? I think how guys would like to look and how women would like them to look have always been different. (more Ryan Gosling than Zac Efron physique wise)

UFC/Crossfit seems to be influencing what guys aspire to more than body building and action movies when I was growing up.

Depends on the girl. I know some who prefer husky guys

Back