Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Erupts: "Area of Major Disaster" Declared By The Federal Government.

Jesus. How do you even retell that story? "My leg? Well I was sitting on my roof when a refrigerator sized ball of lava fell out of the sky and crushed it."

At least that will probably trump everyone else's story in the bar.

I wonder if that guy's grand kids gonna believe him when he tell them that story around the campfire.

I know if somebody tells me he lost his leg to a volcano, I'd most likely call bullshit. The outlandish nature of it all is right up there with the Brazilian guy who got crushed by the cow that fell right through his roof. While he's in bed with his wife.

Brazilian man died after a cow fell through his roof on top of him
By Matt Roper | 13 Jul 2013​

Brazil_cow_falls_t_2616773c.jpg

Joao Maria de Souza, 45, had been in bed with his wife Leni when the animal fell through the ceiling of their home in Caratinga, southeast Brazil.

The cow is believed to have escaped from a nearby farm and climbed onto the roof of the couple's house, which backs onto a steep hill on Wednesday night.

The corrugated roof immediately gave way and the one-and-a-half-ton animal fell eight feet onto Mr de Souza's side of the bed.

Rescuers took Mr de Souza to hospital with a fractured left leg but no other obvious injuries, reporting that he was conscious and talking normally.

Hours later however he died from internal bleeding while still waiting to be seen by doctors, according to his family.

Mr de Souza's brother-in-law Carlos Correa told Brazil's Hoje em Dia newspaper: "Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth.

"But in my view it wasn't the cow that killed our Joao, it was the unacceptable time he spent waiting to be examined."

His grieving mother, Maria de Souza, told Brazil's SuperCanal TV channel: "I didn't bring my son up to be killed by a falling cow."

Police in Caratinga, Minas Gerais state, have launched an inquiry into the bizarre death.

The owner of the cow could be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...cow-falls-through-his-roof-on-top-of-him.html

Last edited:
I wonder if that guy's grand kids gonna believe him when he tell them that story around the campfire.

I know if somebody tells me he lost his leg to a volcano, I'd most likely call bullshit. The outlandish nature of it all is right up there with the Brazilian guy who got crushed by the cow that fell right through his roof. While he's in bed with his wife.

You are doing god's work by bring us these stories. Just look at that quote from the brother-in-law:
Mr de Souza's brother-in-law Carlos Correa told Brazil's Hoje em Dia newspaper: "Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth."

Seriously mate, you should be modded if you want it.

You are doing god's work by bring us these stories. Just look at that quote from the brother-in-law:
Mr de Souza's brother-in-law Carlos Correa told Brazil's Hoje em Dia newspaper: "Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth."

Seriously mate, you should be modded if you want it.

Like I always reminds the creatively-challenged Sherdoggers who knowingly making copy-cat imitations of my WR mega-threads: there are millions of interesting events happening around the world any given day of the week, there is absolutely no need to be a copy-cat :)

I'd rather read and discuss interesting stuff like these all day instead of those tiresome Left vs. Right shit shows, really. Moderating them would drives me bonkers within the week.

The volcano doesn't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican, neither did that falling cow.

Last edited:
Like I always reminds the creatively-challenged Sherdoggers who knowingly making copy-cat imitations of my WR mega-threads: there are millions of interesting events happening around the world any given day of the week, there is absolutely no need to be a copy-cat :)

I'd rather read and discuss interesting stuff like these all day instead of those tiresome Left vs. Right shit shows, really. Moderating them would drives me bonkers within the week.

The volcano doesn't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican, neither did that falling cow.

Damn no Left Vs Right? Hahahahahah.

I've been watching videos of the lava fountains.
I had to watch carefully to be sure it wasn't slowed down; lava doesn't fall back the same way water does.

Lol at this.

“is grieving mother, Maria de Souza, told Brazil's SuperCanal TV channel: "I didn't bring my son up to be killed by a falling cow."

Question, who owns all the new land created once it settles? I had a local news story that square miles of new ocean front land were being created in areas

Question, who owns all the new land created once it settles? I had a local news story that square miles of new ocean front land were being created in areas

The law hasn't changed since Hawaii's Supreme Court made their previous ruling on lava extensions:

Who Owns the New Land Created By a Volcano in Hawaii?
By Sarah Emerson | Jun 4 2018

1527882787836-8927009101_f1cc3263af_k.jpeg

Hawaii is among the smallest states in America, but that doesn’t mean the archipelago isn’t growing over time.

The Big Island’s volcanic eruption this month, for instance, covered 2,400 acres of existing land with new lava. More could be added to the island’s coast as lava reaches to ocean, cooling and hardening, though the United States Geological Survey isn’t willing to say how much yet.

Kilauea is the Big Island’s most active volcano, and has expanded the island for millennia. Its 1960 Kapoho eruption added nearly 500 acres of fresh turf to the Big Island’s southeastern tip. Between 1983 and 2013, Kilauea’s lava flows added another 500 acres—marking the prolific thirty-year-long eruption of Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō, a volcanic cone that’s still active today. And an additional five acres were added to the island’s shoreline in 2016.

So, here’s question for the modern era: Who owns all that new land?

The short answer? The state.

1527882442743-image-457.jpeg

“‘New’ land belongs to the state, such as land formed by cooling and therefore hardening lava spilling into the ocean,” David Callies, a law professor at the University of Hawaii at Manoa who specializes in land use, told me in an email.

These areas are called “lava extensions,” and were central to a 1977 Hawaii Supreme Court case in which Big Island residents Maurice and Molly Zimring sued the state over 7.9 acres of new land formed by a 1955 Kilauea eruption.

Since the 1955 lava abutted property purchased by the Zimrings, they assumed it belonged to them.

“The deed for the property...described the original pre-1955 parcels and contained no description of the new land… The Zimrings paid property taxes, planted trees and shrubs, and even had a portion bulldozed, fully believing they owned the 1955 lava extension,” the USGS explained in a 2008 blog post:

After the 1960 Kapoho eruption, the state ordered the Zimrings to vacate the lava extension, and they took the issue to court, winning the initial trial. The decision, however, was eventually overturned by State Supreme Court Chief Justice William Richardson.

“Rather than allowing only a few of the many lava victims the windfall of lava extensions, this court believes that equity and sound public policy demand that such land inure to the benefit of all the people of Hawaii, in whose behalf the government acts as trustee,” the Court ruled, adding that lava extensions are for the “use and enjoyment of all the people.”

In 2008, this precedent was cited to determine that a Big Island man unlawfully built a pavillion on a lava extension in Puna on the southeast coastline. Furthermore, lands covered by fresh lava flows don’t change hands. So the dozens of Big Island land owners whose homes were tragically destroyed this month won’t lose their properties, for example.

“Same applies to federal land—like Hawaii Volcanoes National Park—and kuleana parcels [land granted to Native Hawaiian tenant farmers between 1850 and 1855, and shared today by their descendents], often if not usually ‘owned’ by several people in co-tenancy,” Callies added. “The lava flow on these lands changes nothing in terms of ownership.”

So, no: Someone can’t just stake a claim to the land created by a volcano. People have tried, and failed. Still, it’d be kind of cool, though.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...ted-by-a-volcano-in-hawaii-kilauea-big-island

Back