Heavyweight Division Past vs Present: Who wins these fights??

Cro Cop (2005) vs Gane (Current) Cro Cop big favorite in a ring, smaller favorite in a cage.
Big Nog (2006) vs Stipe (2017) Stipe either format, Stipe has the TDD to keep it on the feet and out point Big Nog.
Barnett (2006) vs Werdum (2016) Barnett has the wrestling and sub grappling defense to win via takedowns top control and GnP.
Fedor (2008) vs Cormier (2017) Fedor, DC at this point didn't grapple a whole lot and Fedor has better striking, speed and power, clinch games are about even.
Alex Emelianenko (2006) vs Ngannou (current) toss up, Aleks had super fast hands and better striking but Ngannou has a great chin, better power and has better mental fortitude.
Arlovski (2006) vs JDS(2011) JDS, he has a huge durability advantage.
Sergei Kharitonov (2006) vs Pavlovich (current) Kharitonov, better striking and better sub grappling.
Mir (2008) vs Blaydes (current) Mir has better striking and sub grappling, Mir should be the favorite here but he could do something stupid and get TKOed on the ground.
Carwin (2008) vs Hunt (2015) Hunt, Carein didn't use his wrestling much so Hunt out strikes him.
Sylvia (2004) vs Volkov (current) Volkov, more varied offense and better clinch and grappling.
Couture (2003) vs Cain (2013) Cain similar fighters but Cain was bigger, faster, hit harder and had better cardio.
Tank (1996) vs Nelson (2013) Nelson, one of the best chins ever in MMA and more accurate power shots.
Rizzo (2002) vs Overeem (2011) Overeem, better everywhere other than chin and Rizzo's hands weren't that great to take advantage of Overeem's lesser chin.

Last edited:
This thread is nothing more than a fantasy fights.

Indeed so irrelevant, unless you're stuck in the past and want to feel better about your old "legends".

Also, you're litterally comparing USADA fighters vs non drug tested or little drug tested fighters.

But salty noslatgics will never learn i guess.

Kharitonov over Pavlovich....interesting choice! Not disputing, just curious why?

That was definitely one of the tougher ones. Kharitonov has some KOs over pretty good fighters Overeem and Arlovski and he was a beast during his prime. While Pavlovich has shown phenomenal striking abilities, I don't really view opponents like Lewis and Tuivasu as very strong.

I went with my gut feeling on all picks and didn't really spend a few minutes trying to analyze each matchup. So they're all just pretty quick instinctual picks.

Cro Cop was a K-1 quarter finalist who fought and beat some of the greatest kickboxers ever in the most stacked HW kickboxing division ever.

Gane was a regional Muay Thai guy from France who went life and death with regional Muay Thai guys like Yassine Boughanem who woudlnt even qualify for a K-1GP. There are levels to this shit.

Gane is a poor man's Cro Cop with a shittier ground game. You can tell right away who the noobs are in this thread.

Last edited:
The problem this shows is that you only actually have 4 fighters from the "present" in the matchups, some of your "present" guys are from 12 years ago.

Cormier couldn't finish a 42 year old, post leg break Anderson Silva or a washed up Frank Mir. Settle down kid.
Those two were much better than your idol Fedor. You Fedor fanboys annoying.

Cro Cop (2005) vs Gane (Current)

Cro Cop by murder.

Big Nog (2006) vs Stipe (2017)

Nog in 2006? Stipe beats the fuck out of him. Nog in 2003? Stipe might be able to avoid his TDs and take a hard-fought decision, but I think it'd be more likely that Nog would outwork him on the feet, score some TDs, and win the decision.

Barnett (2006) vs Werdum (2016)

Werdum by decision. Barnett would do well on the feet but Werdum would land bigger shots.

Fedor (2008) vs Cormier (2017)

Fedor beats everyone who's ever lived anywhere from 2002-2008.

Alex Emelianenko (2006) vs Ngannou (current)

Ngannou by death bomb in the first round.

Arlovski (2006) vs JDS(2011)

JDS would shatter Arlovski's glass jaw in a round.

Sergei Kharitonov (2006) vs Pavlovich (current)

Kharitonov was always overrated. Pavlovich would take him.

Mir (2008) vs Blaydes (current)

I don't think Mir could KO him on the feet, so I could see Blaydes taking a decision, but if it went to the ground, there's always the chance of Mir locking something up quickly and brutally.

Carwin (2008) vs Hunt (2015)

Carwin would've mauled him with his size and wrestling.

Sylvia (2004) vs Volkov (current)

Jab-fest Tim might've been able to win a close decision, but power punching Tim could've turned his lights out in a round or two.

Couture (2003) vs Cain (2013)

Cain's conditioning and vastly superior striking would've been hell for Randy. He would've struggled to get hold of Cain and he would've been taking punches the whole time. As a fan, I'd root for Randy, but I'd pick Cain by TKO in the second or third.

Tank (1996) vs Nelson (2013)

Roy would make him swing at air for a minute or two, then once Tank gassed he would've pummeled him.

Rizzo (2002) vs Overeem (2011)

If Rizzo was dialed-in, he might've been able to TKO Overeem after using his nasty low kicks to open up his punches, but if Overeem picked his shots and defended the low kick, I could see him taking a decision.

Reactions: JKS
Indeed so irrelevant, unless you're stuck in the past and want to feel better about your old "legends".

Also, you're litterally comparing USADA fighters vs non drug tested or little drug tested fighters.

But salty noslatgics will never learn i guess.

You have something wrong with you buddy. Get your head checked moron.

Cro Cop by murder.

Nog in 2006? Stipe beats the fuck out of him. Nog in 2003? Stipe might be able to avoid his TDs and take a hard-fought decision, but I think it'd be more likely that Nog would outwork him on the feet, score some TDs, and win the decision.

Werdum by decision. Barnett would do well on the feet but Werdum would land bigger shots.

Fedor beats everyone who's ever lived anywhere from 2002-2008.

Ngannou by death bomb in the first round.

JDS would shatter Arlovski's glass jaw in a round.

Kharitonov was always overrated. Pavlovich would take him.

I don't think Mir could KO him on the feet, so I could see Blaydes taking a decision, but if it went to the ground, there's always the chance of Mir locking something up quickly and brutally.

Carwin would've mauled him with his size and wrestling.

Jab-fest Tim might've been able to win a close decision, but power punching Tim could've turned his lights out in a round or two.

Cain's conditioning and vastly superior striking would've been hell for Randy. He would've struggled to get hold of Cain and he would've been taking punches the whole time. As a fan, I'd root for Randy, but I'd pick Cain by TKO in the second or third.

Roy would make him swing at air for a minute or two, then once Tank gassed he would've pummeled him.

If Rizzo was dialed-in, he might've been able to TKO Overeem after using his nasty low kicks to open up his punches, but if Overeem picked his shots and defended the low kick, I could see him taking a decision.

Very nice breakdown and picks

Some very intriguing fight at HW I've always wanted to see. I've put a year beside the fighter for their best shape. Who wins these fights??

Cro Cop KO's Gane
Big Nog submits Stipe
Barnett decisions Werdum
Fedor TKO's Cormier
Alex decisions Ngannou
JDS KO's Arlovski
Kharitonov decisions Pavlovich
Hunt KO's Carwin
Sylvia TKO's Volkov
Cain KO's Couture
Nelson KO's Tank
Ubereem TKO's Rizzo. Rizzo KO's non-Uber

The hardest one for me to pick is Mir vs Blaydes. I could see Blaydes winning by TKO or Mir winning by submission but most likely it goes to a decision. I think Mir is much better fighter but I think Blaydes' wrestling makes him a tough matchup. I think I am 60-40 on Blaydes winning a boring decision with ugly but effective striking and a lot of time spent clinching Mir against the fence.

Cro Cop KO's Gane
Big Nog submits Stipe
Barnett decisions Werdum
Fedor TKO's Cormier
Alex decisions Ngannou
JDS KO's Arlovski
Kharitonov decisions Pavlovich
Hunt KO's Carwin
Sylvia TKO's Volkov
Cain KO's Couture
Nelson KO's Tank
Ubereem TKO's Rizzo. Rizzo KO's non-Uber

The hardest one for me to pick is Mir vs Blaydes. I could see Blaydes winning by TKO or Mir winning by submission but most likely it goes to a decision. I think Mir is much better fighter but I think Blaydes' wrestling makes him a tough matchup. I think I am 60-40 on Blaydes winning a boring decision with ugly but effective striking and a lot of time spent clinching Mir against the fence.

I think Mir vs Blaydes goes the way Lesnar 2, Blaydes on top is very strong and I don't think Frank would hold him off from getting top position.

Some very intriguing fight at HW I've always wanted to see. I've put a year beside the fighter for their best shape. Who wins these fights??

Cro Cop
Stipe
Barnett
Toss-up/SF Cormier is way more dangerous
Ngannou
JDS
Kharitonov
Mir
Carwin mismatch
Volkov
Cain mismatch
Nelson mismatch
Ubereem

Cro Cop was a K-1 quarter finalist who fought and beat some of the greatest kickboxers ever in the most stacked HW kickboxing division ever.

Gane was a regional Muay Thai guy from France who went life and death with regional Muay Thai guys like Yassine Boughanem who woudlnt even qualify for a K-1GP. There are levels to this shit.

Gane is a poor man's Cro Cop with a shittier ground game. You can tell right away who the noobs are in this thread.

Cro Cop got KO'd in his prime by grapplers while Gane has outstruck everyone he's ever fought. K-1 isn't mma.

Cro Cop got KO'd in his prime by grapplers while Gane has outstruck everyone he's ever fought. K-1 isn't mma.
Gane lost to the first decent grappler he faced and looked like he had never trained wrestling or sub grappling.

Randleman threw the best punch of his life against Cro Cop and set it up very well by faking a takedown and then level changing once he saw what the reaction would be to set up the overhand. Gane would never be able to replicate that because he doesn't have the threat of the grappling to do it.

Back