• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help me buy a gun?

Well, I don't know if a 9mm is something I am comfortable with. I wanted small for various reasons. Cheap ammo, easy to handle, and it is less likely to go through the wall if something does happen. Little kids next door, want something I would not worry so much about firing.

A 9mm isn't a huge gun with a ton of recoil. For a handgun, a 9mm has low recoil. And 9mm has some of the cheapest ammo out there as well. It will go through walls but if you're worried about that, you can get special ammo that will break apart. Just use FMJ on the range then keep the mag with the safety slugs next to your gun at home. Problem solved. BTW, I'd probably stick with a used gun. For your price range you should be able to get a quality gun.

I bought a Beretta PX4 Storm(9mm) last year and it's a great gun. There's hardly any recoil, very accurate, no jams yet(shot about 1000 rounds), easy to disassemble, decent amount of after market parts as well. Not everyone likes the trigger but I love it. I almost bought a Glock 19 instead but decided to go with the Beretta. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

filec7f4e9c5a8314812b91240ec0e127700.jpg

Can you not take the equivilant of girly slaps to your soft hands?

Get a glock or M&P in 9mm you dericate frower you...
Haha, for my first handgun I want something small man. Ammo is expensive, especially up here. Everything is more here. I think I am going with a Ruger Mark III.

A 9mm isn't a huge gun with a ton of recoil. For a handgun, a 9mm has low recoil. And 9mm has some of the cheapest ammo out there as well. It will go through walls but if you're worried about that, you can get special ammo that will break apart. Just use FMJ on the range then keep the mag with the safety slugs next to your gun at home. Problem solved. BTW, I'd probably stick with a used gun. For your price range you should be able to get a quality gun.

I bought a Beretta PX4 Storm(9mm) last year and it's a great gun. There's hardly any recoil, very accurate, no jams yet(shot about 1000 rounds), easy to disassemble, decent amount of after market parts as well. Not everyone likes the trigger but I love it. I almost bought a Glock 19 instead but decided to go with the Beretta. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

filec7f4e9c5a8314812b91240ec0e127700.jpg
I was looking at a nice beretta .22, but I am going with the Ruger Mark III. Thanks for the suggestions, but I think it is the best idea. Hopefully I can snag one for around my price range.

Yeah, he is retarded. I don't know anything about guns so I am gonna have to look up these. I want something small, figured a .22 ammo would be real cheap and I could get plenty of cheap practice.

This is the one I am considering now.

Ruger Mark III Pistol - TheGunSource

I've had a Ruger Mark II for over 30 years and have run a few thousand rounds through it in an indoor target league. It's fun to shoot and designed for a long life. Only the bolt moves as opposed to the barrel moving on other automatics so it's easier to stay on target. Most guns are ok to put a couple of hundred rounds through but they do wear out. The Ruger Mark series is designed for target shooting and thousands of rounds. The only problem you might have is that you can't use lower power ammo [short or cb] unless you manually cycle it. While most .22 ammo doesn't have a lot of stopping power, CCI Stingers will do a lot of damage.

Stainless is the way to go.

I understand why you would want a .22 rimfire. Ammo is costly here, must be really high there.

Haha, for my first handgun I want something small man. Ammo is expensive, especially up here. Everything is more here. I think I am going with a Ruger Mark III.

I'm assuming you are military? You can get guns at a good price on base. Get a shotgun. Buckshot will stop a bear, and they won't kill your neighbor through a wall. Mossberg 500 or 835, or Remington 870. You can get any of the three for around 300.

I was looking at a nice beretta .22, but I am going with the Ruger Mark III. Thanks for the suggestions, but I think it is the best idea. Hopefully I can snag one for around my price range.

If you have your mind made up then good luck. I've heard decent things about both the Mark II and Mark III.

At the range I'd recommend and try a 9mm(if they allow you to rent) eventually. A lot more power and velocity but without much more recoil.

I fucking hate this thread. No one listens to people that have actually lived in Alaska.

If you just want a plinker the Ruger MK II are good guns.

I fucking hate this thread. No one listens to people that have actually lived in Alaska.
I was trying to listen to everyone, and I appreciate all the help. I live in Alaska now, but I am not military, don't know why you think that.

Basically what sold me on the Mark III is the magazine release. Seems a lot easier on the Mark III.

If you have your mind made up then good luck. I've heard decent things about both the Mark II and Mark III.

At the range I'd recommend and try a 9mm(if they allow you to rent) eventually. A lot more power and velocity but without much more recoil.
I will definitely try more things as I get more comfortable. The range I went to last time I couldn't rent, but friends have plenty to try.

I've never fired a gun, never owned one. Don't like guns.

But if I were to pick one gun.

There's just something very elegant and special about a six chamber chrome revolver.

357-revolver-airsoft-chrome.jpg

Simple to use, gets the job done, and I'm not sure, but aren't they less prone to jamming?

Perfect for home protection.

Yes, they are less prone to jamming as far as I know, that is why I picked the Taurus to begin with, but people say they suck.

I was trying to listen to everyone, and I appreciate all the help. I live in Alaska now, but I am not military, don't know why you think that.

Basically what sold me on the Mark III is the magazine release. Seems a lot easier on the Mark III.

If you are any type of outdoorsman every gun suggested is terrible besides mine. The Mark III is a good way to get stomped or mauled. Get a gun first for protection. After that get something for plinking.

Simple to use, gets the job done, and I'm not sure, but aren't they less prone to jamming?

Perfect for home protection.

If you buy a quality pistol and buy good ammo, you aren't going to ever worry about getting a jam. If they are good enough for law enforcement, they are good enough for me. Buying a revolver solely for that reason is a poor idea.

If you buy a quality pistol and buy good ammo, you aren't going to ever worry about getting a jam. If they are good enough for law enforcement, they are good enough for me. Buying a revolver solely for that reason is a poor idea.

Like I said though, the elegance. :)

If you are any type of outdoorsman every gun suggested is terrible besides mine. The Mark III is a good way to get stomped or mauled. Get a gun first for protection. After that get something for plinking.
I try to keep my ass inside. Just because I live Alaska doesn't mean I am an outdoorsman haha. I am from the south, it is cold.

I've never fired a gun, never owned one. Don't like guns.
But if I were to pick one gun.
There's just something very elegant and special about a six chamber chrome revolver.

That's why I have one like this.

150342_large.jpg

I bought a Springfield Armory .40 for home defense. It was $550. It's a pretty big gun, not sure a first time gun buyer can handle it.

I also bought a CZ-83 (.380 little less power than a 9mm) for shooting. I gotta say the CZ is a great little gun. I would recommend it for a first time buyer.

First time I used it. Range about 15-20 yards.

0031024x768.jpg

A week ago me and my brother went shooting. The very first shot from the CZ was a bullseye. I wasn't even warmed up.

Back