• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help me buy a gun?

This is what you're looking for:

Heckler & Koch USP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hk_usp_compact_45_sm.jpg

Compact, of course.

Why not just buy an ak-47, they're cheap, reliable, and you'll wish you had one if the shit ever hits the fan.

Well, I don't know if a 9mm is something I am comfortable with. I wanted small for various reasons. Cheap ammo, easy to handle, and it is less likely to go through the wall if something does happen. Little kids next door, want something I would not worry so much about firing.

1. 9mm is very low recoil in most guns (very easy to handle)
2. 9mm ammo is super available
3. 9mm ammo is pretty damned cheap (9.50 per 50 at wallmart)
4. 9mm is better for home defense than .22 (more stopping power)
5. 9mm will not go through walls and kill your neighbors IF YOU HAVE HOLLOWPOINTS. keep hollowpoints in it at home, shoot round at range

FYI, .22 is perfectly capable of going through a wall and killing your neighbor.

5. 9mm will not go through walls and kill your neighbors IF YOU HAVE HOLLOWPOINTS. keep hollowpoints in it at home, shoot round at range

FYI, .22 is perfectly capable of going through a wall and killing your neighbor.

Agree with all except number 5. I'm sure it will still go through several layers of dry wall of a typical home.

Just try to be aware of what's behind your target.

9mm is pretty versatile. Weak ass 110 grain plinking loads to 127 grain +P+ loads that nearly match the 357 magnum (probably equal when the 357 mag is shot out of a snub nose.)

Question...

What if hypothitically you were gonna use it through a ceiling.
Im just saying that if you lived in a flat and had a noisy neighbour and had meticulously planned and figured out his nightly routine and knew what time he would take his nightly shit and aimed in that general direction..........
would it kill him????
I dunno if the porcelin would effect this hypothetical situation but what would be the outcome????

Also if anyone know how to plaster a ceiling please lemme know....

By the way, Walther P22s are piece of crap.

Negative. I've owned one for over five years now. I've probably put 2000 rounds through it. I've only ever had a few FTE when I didn't clean it for long periods of time. It's actually a really good gun, especially as I paid $279 for it.

Yes, they are less prone to jamming as far as I know, that is why I picked the Taurus to begin with, but people say they suck.

I have a Taurus revolver. I'll never buy another Taurus.

Go to a range that rents pistols, fire several in 9mm, and choose the one that you shoot the tightest groups with. Why 9mm?
- IMVHO, smaller calibers lack appropriate lethality, but lethality IS primarily about shot placement, not calliber
- 9mm bullets will likely start to tumble after hitting drywall, making them less likely to maintain lethality after going through a wall. Self defense specific bullets (fragmenting, hollowpoints, etc.) may improve the odds even more.
- Fuck all this pistol nonsense and buy a shotgun. Big 5 (you got one up there?) has a mosberg 500 series on sale for less than 300 on a regular basis. Two barrels, longer one for breaking clays and gaining proficiency, and an 18.5" once for home defense.

When you ask what gun you should get, 30 people will give you 30 answers.

- 9mm bullets will likely start to tumble after hitting drywall, making them less likely to maintain lethality after going through a wall.

Why do you say that 9mm tumbles?

Thought it was in that FBI study I posted, but maybe I'm wrong and I'm spreading misinformation... I'm running a fever today, so I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders.

The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

".22 Long Rifle (Wildcats) - 4 boards and bounced off 5th board.

9MM JHP (Federal) - 8 boards, bounced off 9th.

.45ACP (Federal Hydrashocks) - 7 boards, bounced off 8th."

9mm penetrated more than .45.

Even Glaser Blue-Tip penetrates several layers of drywall:
The Box O' Truth #4 - Miscellaneous Rounds Meet the Box O' Truth

Tumbling is a result of bullet design- usually the nose is hollow, or filled with a lightweight material such as wood or paper. The bullet is stabilized in-flight by spin; as soon as it stops spinning, physics takes over and the heavy end wants to lead, so the back end comes around to lead the way. This is tumble. The British .303 tumbled, as it was designed after the Hague agreement on dum-dum bullets. The nose was hollow, or filled with paper or wood; the Russian 5.45 does the same thing. It's a 25mm long projectile 5.45mm in diameter, with the front 5mm being a hollow core. When it hits, it tries to swap ends, so the heavy end can lead, and this results in tumbling.
Handgun rounds typically don't tumble, as they're not long enough to destabilize like that. Heavy-for-caliber bullets can be made to do it by handloaders- I've read about people using 200 gr roundnose lead bullets in 38 S&W handloads as they can tumble- it's long for the caliber- but it's nowhere near a sure thing.
hth

No effective gun is going to be safe in an apartment setting, where there's only drywall between you and your neighbor. Anything that drywall will stop will be ineffective against an intruder.
That said, ammunitiontogo.com has some less-than-lethal shotgun rounds:
Less-Than-Lethal Ammo : Ammunition To Go

But I wouldn't trust them to stop an intruder, nor would I trust them not to overpenetrate in an apartment setting and hurt a bystander.

They also have some cool specialty rounds for 12ga. :icon_twis

Damn you hunto and your legitimate sources!

My advice still stands: buy a shotgun.

Haha, for my first handgun I want something small man. Ammo is expensive, especially up here. Everything is more here. I think I am going with a Ruger Mark III.

The Taurus .22 revolver you linked to seems like a fun gun. Taurus has a bad rep on the 'Net but! they offer an outstanding warranty on their guns (lifetime regardless of owner) and from what I've read, the vast majority are satisfied after dealing with Taurus customer service. So you may get a gun with a problem but they stand behind them forever and will fix it.
Glocks are notoriously reliable; they sacrifice some accuracy for reliability. Assembly tolerances are looser to allow for different types of ammo, etc. and while this lessens the likelihood of a jam, it also affects the target accuracy; a well-fitted 1911 will be more accurate, but will also be more prone to jam; the finer the fitting, the better the accuracy, but the likelihood for a jam increases. This is why AKs have a rep for reliability; loose tolerances mean it eats any ammo but accuracy isn't as good as the AR platform, which is assembled with closer specs.
FMJ 9mm ammo for practice can be had cheaply; Brown Bear 9mm runs around $110 + shipping for 500 rounds. You can buy a few boxes of the JHP to keep in it for HD, and practice with the cheap FMJ stuff. It's not as cheap as .22LR, but at $100/500 rounds, it's not expensive either (although shipping to Alaska does run a bit more than to the lower 48).

hope this helps...

Agree with all except number 5. I'm sure it will still go through several layers of dry wall of a typical home.

Just try to be aware of what's behind your target.

9mm is pretty versatile. Weak ass 110 grain plinking loads to 127 grain +P+ loads that nearly match the 357 magnum (probably equal when the 357 mag is shot out of a snub nose.)

your probably right. and DEF right about being aware of wahts behind your target.
ALSO, whats key is practice. proficiency with your handgun that you are much more likely to hit what you are aiming for, than pump the walls full of holes.

BTW. when i was younger and not at smart about weapon handling, i had a accidental discharge of my 9mm with some super expanding hollowpoints. The gun was pointed down at my bed and i was attempting to clear the round from the chamber, like a douche bag i hit the trigger by accident, and shot one into my bed. the round didnt come out the other side! it stayed in my bed!

were talkinga bout a standard thickness pillowtop spring mattress. im assuming that it slowed enough going through the mattress, then got stuck int he wood frame.

Last edited:
Question...

What if hypothitically you were gonna use it through a ceiling.
Im just saying that if you lived in a flat and had a noisy neighbour and had meticulously planned and figured out his nightly routine and knew what time he would take his nightly shit and aimed in that general direction..........
would it kill him????
I dunno if the porcelin would effect this hypothetical situation but what would be the outcome????

Also if anyone know how to plaster a ceiling please lemme know....

hypothetically, were you going to try and shoot him on the shiiter, through your cieling, i would hypothetically reccomnet armor piercing rounds if you can get them. or, you could get that teflon paint stuff, sharpen a round, and paint it. this just to make double sure it would go through. but you could also get the blueprints for the bulding and just see whats int he floor, hypothetically if there were no pipes and minimal amounts of would, you might not need anything but regular FMJ.

but i would suggest speaking with said neighbor, before such hypothetical situations

Back