• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help me buy a gun?

you could get that teflon paint stuff, sharpen a round, and paint it. this just to make double sure it would go through. but you could also get the blueprints for the bulding and just see whats int he floor, hypothetically if there were no pipes and minimal amounts of would, you might not need anything but regular FMJ.

Neither "Teflon paint" nor "sharpening" the bullet will increase penetration. Think about it: if you could paint something on a bullet to make it magically penetrate steel better, it would also grind away the rifling in the barrel.
Sharpening the bullet will just make it want to tumble quicker. Look up big-game cartridges; elephant and cape-buffalo hunters use flat-nose solid bullets when penetration is needed, as they plow straight ahead, instead of swapping ends.

Yah, for serious penetration especially on things like steel, you'd need a bullet with a core harder than the part that contacts the rifling. Or you'll wear the barrel out, barrel steel usually isn't that hard. That or use sabot rounds.

That thing is $1000. Come on, not something for a first time gun buyer.

1287727304.jpg

Sig Sauer 2022 9mm. I like this.

I am buying this sometime in the next two weeks because my PM9 needs a little brother. I was thinking of trading in one of my other guns but I can't part with them.

GetDynamicImage.aspx

I sold my Ruger this morning, and am buying another Saiga in 7.62x39. The conversion will be minimal; pistol grip, Tapco trigger, and stock- I haven't decided on a wire folder or a wood stock. Slap a bullet guide in it so it takes surplus AK mags and that will be that.
I found a deal on a used one and so am grabbing it up. I also am trying to buy a Saiga 20 gage; I read that the ATF has decided to change their stance on Saiga shotguns and importation of them may cease or require a permit.

I am buying this sometime in the next two weeks because my PM9 needs a little brother. I was thinking of trading in one of my other guns but I can't part with them.

GetDynamicImage.aspx

do u carry your PM9 all the time? and if so how do you like it?

Ive been thinking about getting a small 9mm and that seems to be the one to have.

I sold my Ruger this morning, and am buying another Saiga in 7.62x39. The conversion will be minimal; pistol grip, Tapco trigger, and stock- I haven't decided on a wire folder or a wood stock. Slap a bullet guide in it so it takes surplus AK mags and that will be that.
I found a deal on a used one and so am grabbing it up. I also am trying to buy a Saiga 20 gage; I read that the ATF has decided to change their stance on Saiga shotguns and importation of them may cease or require a permit.

You can still buy them as normal. I guess someone on a firearm blog started a rumor that they were going to do that and it spread like wildfire, but then the ATF made their announcement they didn't even mention Saiga shotguns. I did hear there was going to be a price increase though.

hypothetically, were you going to try and shoot him on the shiiter, through your cieling, i would hypothetically reccomnet armor piercing rounds if you can get them. or, you could get that teflon paint stuff, sharpen a round, and paint it. this just to make double sure it would go through. but you could also get the blueprints for the bulding and just see whats int he floor, hypothetically if there were no pipes and minimal amounts of would, you might not need anything but regular FMJ.

but i would suggest speaking with said neighbor, before such hypothetical situations

An older dude nearby who kinda lives in the forrest was sitting on his porch one day when he heard a crash, a bullet had gone thru his roof and smashed his toilet

granted probably hunting ammo (we don't have to adhere to pesky Hague conventions so the ruskies better watch out if they invade LoL)

probably from miles away and the result of hunting of black/wood grouse

sometimes you hunt alone without a dog, snipe from a distance when they are sitting in trees with fullmetal jackets to get clean through shots and not destroy too much meat/trophy, still gotta do it with bigger rifles because you are shooting at a far distance, aiming upwards so nothing to catch the bullet, you can get some distance, they are trying to outlaw this form of hunting over here now, probably for the best

Don't know if this is the place for this, but it can't hurt.

I want a little handgun to shoot at the range and to at least have something in the house. Never bought a handgun, but I shot a friend's Walther P22 and had a blast, so I am looking for something myself.

At first I was looking at this Taurus 94 revolver, but I heard bad things about Taurus. I also heard a good brand gun will appreciate in value over the years.

Taurus 94 Revolver - TheGunSource

I am now considering possibly a Rueger Mark III. I wanted to get a revolver to avoid jams, but hopefully a good gun won't jam often. The Walther P22 did, but our ammo was cheap.

My friend is offering to sell my the relatively brand new Walther P22, which she says is military version with extension? She wants $380, but I saw others like it for $320, don't know what military extension is really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is why you don't ask for gun advice on Sherdog. A lot of stupid chest thumping comments from people who gather their firearm knowledge from watching Under Siege and walking around gun shows. Anyone who knows anything about proper firearms training will tell you to get a .22lr first. It is the most important tool to learning proper technique.

Taurus has customer service problems. Their firearms, when they work are great. Taurus revolvers especially has a good track record. Their semi-autos are what generates the most amount of complaints. If you're looking for a .22lr revolver, you don't have to worry too much as the revolver problems usually center around high pressure loads on center fire cartridges.

Ruger Mark III pistols are all round great guns. I've shot thousands of rounds through this one. Ergonomics are great, but realize there is a target model and a standard model. The target model with the bull barrel gets a bit front heavy. However, I would get whichever one I can find for a great deal. Ruger has a good customer service record.

As for the Walther P22. I don't know anything about Walther customer service nor do I have personal experience with this gun. However, I have a friend who owned this pistol and I also have done a little research about it. This gun tends to have reliability problems. The general consensus is that although it's a cool looking .22, the retail price is too high for what you get from it. If you can get it for cheap it might be worth it, but $380 sounds too high.

The Beretta Laser gun falls in the same category as the Walther. There's not many people who own it and for the price you're paying, you're surpassing several .22 pistols with good track records. This and the Walther are specifically designed to look cool to garner interest from children and first time gun buyers. Just for this they call for a high retail price. The gun ergonomics and functionality comes second.

There are some guns you haven't considered. Check out the Browning Buckmark. It has similar ergonomics to the Ruger Mark III and is also a great gun. Also, if you're looking into revolvers, handle some single action revolvers. The Ruger Single Six is an excellent revolver, probably the best known .22 revolver on the market and can be had for the same price range. Plus, with the Single Six, you get an second cylinder in .22 WMR that drops in place of the .22 lr cylinder so you can shoot both cartridges from the same pistol.

Last edited:
do u carry your PM9 all the time? and if so how do you like it?

Ive been thinking about getting a small 9mm and that seems to be the one to have.

I carry it all the time and I love it. Never a hiccup (though they do recommend a 200 round break in because the gun is real tight out of the box). Very accurate if you are and conceals pretty easily. I was initially looking at a much cheaper PF9 but I have a few friends who own them and the quality difference was quite obvious.

This is why you don't ask for gun advice on Sherdog. A lot of stupid chest thumping comments from people who gather their firearm knowledge from watching Under Siege and walking around gun shows. Anyone who knows anything about proper firearms training will tell you to get a .22lr first. It is the most important tool to learning proper technique.

Taurus has customer service problems. Their firearms, when they work are great. Taurus revolvers especially has a good track record. Their semi-autos are what generates the most amount of complaints. If you're looking for a .22lr revolver, you don't have to worry too much as the revolver problems usually center around high pressure loads on center fire cartridges.

Ruger Mark III pistols are all round great guns. I've shot thousands of rounds through this one. Ergonomics are great, but realize there is a target model and a standard model. The target model with the bull barrel gets a bit front heavy. However, I would get whichever one I can find for a great deal. Ruger has a good customer service record.

As for the Walther P22. I don't know anything about Walther customer service nor do I have personal experience with this gun. However, I have a friend who owned this pistol and I also have done a little research about it. This gun tends to have reliability problems. The general consensus is that although it's a cool looking .22, the retail price is too high for what you get from it. If you can get it for cheap it might be worth it, but $380 sounds too high.

The Beretta Laser gun falls in the same category as the Walther. There's not many people who own it and for the price you're paying, you're surpassing several .22 pistols with good track records. This and the Walther are specifically designed to look cool to garner interest from children and first time gun buyers. Just for this they call for a high retail price. The gun ergonomics and functionality comes second.

There are some guns you haven't considered. Check out the Browning Buckmark. It has similar ergonomics to the Ruger Mark III and is also a great gun. Also, if you're looking into revolvers, handle some single action revolvers. The Ruger Single Six is an excellent revolver, probably the best known .22 revolver on the market and can be had for the same price range. Plus, with the Single Six, you get an second cylinder in .22 WMR that drops in place of the .22 lr cylinder so you can shoot both cartridges from the same pistol.

I have a mark 3 and it is great for the money. I stayed away from the buckmark because I heard they are even more of a bitch to take down for cleaning.

I've heard of problems with a walther p22 and I have never met anyone who owns the beretta. My brother bought a sig misquito and it needed quite a bit of fluff and buff to get it to feed reliably.

I would wholeheartedly recommend a mark 3 or current gen 22/45.

My favorite pistol of all time is the glock 19. It is small enough to carry, but also big enough to feel/shoot comfortably. 9mm ammo is reasonably affordable to shoot, but also strong enough for self defense. I've put thousands of rounds through 19's and never had a jam, albeit my wife has managed to jam them via "limp wristing" a few times. It is also REALLY easy to break-down and maintain.

The best option for target shooting would probably be a 22... and while not ideal for home defense, is sure a lot better than having nothing. I'm not sure what to reccomend though. I have a Buckmark and it is a great target shooting gun... but isn't anywhere close to 100% reliable. I've also shot the Walthers and they are cool guns. I really don't think any semi-auto rimfire will be totally reliable. I think that is just the nature of the beast. Granted, I also use the cheap ammo from the cheap bulk boxes so that is probably part of the problem.

For concealed carry, I have a glock 26 and a ruger lcr. The glock is a little bulky for most of the clothes that I wear, so I carry the lcr probably 90% of the time. It is really small and thin and fits with almost anything (use a pocket holster most of the time). The only real issue with it is that it is not any fun to shoot at the range (really starts hurting my hand after a while). I think this would be the case for any small/light revolver in 38spl or larger...

Back