• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help me trick out a Ruger Precision Rifle

To me, it looks like he wants a general purpose rifle; a blend of SHTF, protection and perhaps hunting capability. I base this on the fact he wants a .308 but is kind of all over the map with everything else. I was in a similar boat, I kinda recognize it.

@GearSolidMetal, ever take a look at the "scout" style of rifles, which have regained popularity in the last little while? I too demanded having iron sights, but now can live without them. I also like .308 because it's pretty ubiquitous with widespread 7.62 NATO compatibility and "enough gun" for most North American game. They're not featherweight rifles, but not as heavy as some semi-auto or target rifle equivalents. The range will be a bit more limited than a bench/prone target rifle, but do you really need a gun in that much of a niche market?

I generally speaking am not a Yeager fan but a gun like this might interest you

Some things in here might spark your interest too.

Bro, I don't think he's even buying an RPR anymore:

I've been changing my mind constantly throughout the thread, so can't blame anyone for responding to an older post.

To me, it looks like he wants a general purpose rifle; a blend of SHTF, protection and perhaps hunting capability. I base this on the fact he wants a .308 but is kind of all over the map with everything else. I was in a similar boat, I kinda recognize it.

You summarized exactly what I'm looking for.

And yeah, I was a bit all over the map, due to my ignorance of anything other than AR platforms.

@GearSolidMetal, ever take a look at the "scout" style of rifles, which have regained popularity in the last little while? I too demanded having iron sights, but now can live without them. I also like .308 because it's pretty ubiquitous with widespread 7.62 NATO compatibility and "enough gun" for most North American game. They're not featherweight rifles, but not as heavy as some semi-auto or target rifle equivalents. The range will be a bit more limited than a bench/prone target rifle, but do you really need a gun in that much of a niche market?

I'm open to more suggestions. I don't have my heart set on anything yet, and I'm probably going to be giving this another month before I make a final decision.

And I've been exploring rail systems... and sheesh.... never expected that putting off-center iron sights would be so freaking expensive.

So question, you're looking for an all around 0-300 yard rifle?

Or further? I'm too lazy to re-read anything, and forgot the initial criteria.

I'd want it to have pinpoint accuracy up to 500 yards.

Pinpoint accuracy requires the shooter. Are you pinpoint at 500 yards?

What do you want the bullet to be capable of doing at 500 yards when it lands? Just kill something, or more? How much Junk in the trunk does it need to have upon impact?

Pinpoint accuracy requires the shooter. Are you pinpoint at 500 yards?
I'm close. That's why I want a rifle to be capable of placing pinpoint shots at 500 yards.

The shooter can be pinpoint at 500 yards, but that doesn't matter much if he has a BB gun.

What do you want the bullet to be capable of doing at 500 yards when it lands? Just kill something, or more? How much Junk in the trunk does it need to have upon impact?

Target shooting, for a hobby. And a SHTF rifle, as insurance.

Don't see the relevance of the impact.

Impact has a huge relevance. It's a reason that snipers in the military, my understanding, generally start with .30 caliber and only work up from there to things like .308 Win, .300 WinMag, and the .338 Lapua Mag.

A 5.56 or .223 will ring steel at 500 yards if the shooter can hit the plate, but it won't do shit in terms of impact is my understanding. It'll put a hole in someone but it won't put them down. .300 WinMag and up will blow body parts off depending on how close you are and at distance can carry crazy amounts of momentum due to the fact you can shoot up to 185 grain bullets vs a 90 grain round leaving a .223 or 5.56 gun.

Granted it's a Wiki article but this is a list of the firearms and calibers in use today by militaries.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_used_by_U.S._Armed_Forces#In_Service_7

Notice the commonality in the round size? The MK 12 Mod series of guns being an exception.

Almost all are AT LEAST 7.62x51 which is, my understanding, ABOUT .308 Win.

I'm close. That's why I want a rifle to be capable of placing pinpoint shots at 500 yards.

The shooter can be pinpoint at 500 yards, but that doesn't matter much if he has a BB gun.

Target shooting, for a hobby. And a SHTF rifle, as insurance.

Im debating if its worth pitching a more accurate AR upper as opposed to something else.

AR, easier to shoot by most calculations. Plentiful ammo, can carry more ammo. Easy to add.

Unless you require a bigger payload upon impact, i find its easy to get an accurate AR for that distance.

Impact has a huge relevance. It's a reason that snipers in the military, my understanding, generally start with .30 caliber and only work up from there to things like .308 Win, .300 WinMag, and the .338 Lapua Mag.

A 5.56 or .223 will ring steel at 500 yards if the shooter can hit the plate, but it won't do shit in terms of impact is my understanding. It'll put a hole in someone but it won't put them down. .300 WinMag and up will blow body parts off depending on how close you are and at distance can carry crazy amounts of momentum due to the fact you can shoot up to 185 grain bullets vs a 90 grain round leaving a .223 or 5.56 gun.

Granted it's a Wiki article but this is a list of the firearms and calibers in use today by militaries.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_used_by_U.S._Armed_Forces#In_Service_7

Notice the commonality in the round size? The MK 12 Mod series of guns being an exception.

Almost all are AT LEAST 7.62x51 which is, my understanding, ABOUT .308 Win.

You're right about 5.56 not having much punch at longer distances. But the 7.62 has a much harder punch at the longer distances.

It's been a while since I read up on the ballistics but 7.62's maximum effective range before severe bullet drop is around 700 meters, so a killing shot at a person, or wildlife, at 500 yards is very feasible.

I still think, for what you seem to want @GearSolidMetal, one of the M1A's would be best. Get one and then get it glass bedded. Thing will be a tack driver.

Im debating if its worth pitching a more accurate AR upper as opposed to something else.

AR, easier to shoot by most calculations. Plentiful ammo, can carry more ammo. Easy to add.

Unless you require a bigger payload upon impact, i find its easy to get an accurate AR for that distance.
I think one of the requirements was something around a .308 Win in caliber. I suggested AR-10 and he wasn't a fan of it

I think one of the requirements was something around a .308 Win in caliber. I suggested AR-10 and he wasn't a fan of it

Yes, but I think the SHTF aspect skews the criteria all over again. If you want that, overall that's an AR. Cheaper, lighter, more flexible, more abundant, more ammo. 0-400 yards killing stuff. 0-600 target shooting.

If I was looking for a SHTF rifle it would be an AR. You want a hunting rifle or pinpoint accuracy, that's a precision rifle, that's more specific.

M1As can shoot good but they're going to be heavy. Ammo cost more, and's liable to be less abundant in SHTF than 223.

If its one rifle, the logic going around and coming around begins to point back to ARs Again. It's more versatile, for less money.

Me thinks.

Yes, but I think the SHTF aspect skews the criteria all over again. If you want that, overall that's an AR. Cheaper, lighter, more flexible, more abundant, more ammo. 0-400 yards killing stuff. 0-600 target shooting.

If I was looking for a SHTF rifle it would be an AR. You want a hunting rifle or pinpoint accuracy, that's a precision rifle, that's more specific.

M1As can shoot good but they're going to be heavy. Ammo cost more, and's liable to be less abundant in SHTF than 223.

If its one rifle, the logic going around and coming around begins to point back to ARs Again. It's more versatile, for less money.

Me thinks.
I'd agree. My SHTF gun will be another AR-15 I intend to build that will double as a house defense system with light and maybe a handstop at most (outside of optic).

I'd probably drag along the bolt gun I intend to buy as well. Would make the trip heavier but still, I'd like to have a gun from the .30 family for long range stuff.

With this and a 5.56 superformance 75gr load from Hornady for example the drop at 500 would be 44", fps 1848 and fpe 569.

A person certainly wouldn't want to get hit by that.

No, but realistically, this isn't about that. 999 times of 1000 SHTF, ( I had to think about what this meant by the way) is just an entertaining notion in our Country. I think its more about collection and bench-racing, where the road to a gun purchase is the destination as much as whatever the gun's performance. Its just for fun. I don't mean to say this as a downer, quite the opposite. We're lucky to be able to fret over, buy and shoot for the sheer entertainment guns such as these. They wouldn't be near as much fun if we had to have them.

Honestly, 308 boltgun, great choice. 308 semi auto, great choice, 223 AR, great choice, something else, (in all likelihood, great choice). 300 Win Mag, Fucking-A. Ruger 10/22 great choice.

I still think, for what you seem to want @GearSolidMetal, one of the M1A's would be best. Get one and then get it glass bedded. Thing will be a tack driver.

I would not glass bed a traditional M1A stock, my understanding is they chew them up fairly quickly.

I would look into either the VLTOR stock the reroute posted or an EBR stock. http://www.fulton-armory.com/stocksagetacticalcompletenoclipguidemount.aspx
upload_2016-5-24_11-23-38.jpeg

Or if weight is not a huge consideration go with the JAE like I have on mine. (This is a stock photo not mine, mine is in another thread)
images

But really in a SHTF scenario if I was limited to a single rifle, I would take my AR15. The M1A is just too damn heavy to be lugging around places and ammo is heavy too. If I had to be holed up somewhere and weight was not a huge issue, I would take the M1A.

But really in a SHTF scenario if I was limited to a single rifle, I would take my AR15. The M1A is just too damn heavy to be lugging around places and ammo is heavy too. If I had to be holed up somewhere and weight was not a huge issue, I would take the M1A.
RIGHT NOW if I was limited to a single rifle in that situation it would be my dad's .243, .300 WinMag, or the 30-06 I intend to buy.

My current AR-15 I can't seem to get it zero'd and I can't tell if my barrel is just spitting the rounds all over the paper, my optic is goofy, or if I am jerking on the mil-spec trigger.

Really suspicious it's the trigger and me not taking the time I need with the optic. If I can get 1 MOA out of my dad's .300 WinMag I should be able to get at least 2MOA with an AR-15 right?

Last edited:
RIGHT NOW if I was limited to a single rifle in that situation it would be my dad's .243, .300 WinMag, or the 30-06 I intend to buy.

My current AR-15 I can't seem to get it zero'd and I can't tell if my barrel is just spitting the rounds all over the paper, my optic is goofy, or if I am jerking on the mil-spec trigger.

Really suspicious it's the trigger and me not taking the time I need with the optic. If I can get 1 MOA out of my dad's .300 WinMag I should be able to get at least 2MOA with an AR-15 right?

What AR do you have? Are you using irons? What twist rate and ammo are you using.

What AR do you have? Are you using irons? What twist rate and ammo are you using.
I have a put together AR with a 1:7 twist rate in an M4 profile barrel from I believe Rainier Arms.

A mix of irons and Vortex Strikefire 3x prism scope and standard either Wolf Gold or American Eagle.

The irons are a pair of offsets I got from Palmetto State

Last edited:
Back