Helwani: Lyoto Machida Officially Joins Bellator

How did that work out for him last time again? If you want a hint it ended with him selling his company and working for the UFC.

The company owning bellator is much better off financially then strikeforce....

But after the 26th we may see Coker back on Showtime lol.

Bellator isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Did not know that. It is a shame, they are actually entertaining and a change is nice sometimes. I don't even catch half the ufc shows anymore, just too many to care about.

According to John Nash, they only grossed $20m & lost money last year.
A lot is over-spending for talent & not getting much in return (ratings have gone down with cost going up).

I agree about the change.
I like their presentation.
UFC has the same feel as it did 15 years ago.
every event feels/looks the same

Not a big deal...He'll bring some excitement to the org and another big name to make me want to go out of my to watch the events.

And as far as him...He just KTFO Vitor motherfucking Belfort, a legend of the sport since forever, in 100% HIGHLIGHT fashion, so I'm guessing Lyoto got a pretty good deal/paycheck offered to him from Bellator. Hopefully he can live out the rest of career without getting too beat up, make some money, and retire comfortably.

According to John Nash, they only grossed $20m & lost money last year.
A lot is over-spending for talent & not getting much in return (ratings have gone down with cost going up).

I agree about the change.
I like their presentation.
UFC has the same feel as it did 15 years ago.
every event feels/looks the same

Competition is healthy. I appreciate the ufc but I also enjoyed watching all the other orgs as well. Hopefully they figure out a way to stay viable. It is also nice for the fighters to have other options as well.

Competition is healthy. I appreciate the ufc but I also enjoyed watching all the other orgs as well. Hopefully they figure out a way to stay viable. It is also nice for the fighters to have other options as well.

100%
A healthier Bellator makes a better UFC

The company owning bellator is much better off financially then strikeforce....

But after the 26th we may see Coker back on Showtime lol.

Bellator isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree, but it is not about financial health of the parent company as much as how long the plan on losing money.
SF owners got out as soon as they did.
Hopefully the distribution announcement puts Bellator in the black
But they need more than SHO to be healthy.
SF was on SHO when they lost money & were sold too.

But optimism is cool & respected.

I think Viacom needs to see Bellator as more than inexpensive programming on low viewed night to be a player.
Hopefully they started to see that Bellator might do better elsewhere

Where did this come from all of a sudden???????

Another former UFC star is on his way to Bellator.

Lyoto Machida has verbally agreed to an exclusive multi-fight contract with the promotion, sources told ESPN. "The Dragon" is expected to sign the deal in the very near future.

Machida, 40, leaves the UFC on a two-fight winning streak and a 24-8 record. He most recently knocked out Vitor Belfort via front kick at UFC 224 last month in Rio de Janiero, which was the last fight on his UFC contract.

Machida's Bellator debut isn't set just yet, but he is expected to fight again in 2018. He joins the likes of Rory MacDonald, Benson Henderson, Gegard Mousasi, Frank Mir and Matt Mitrione, among others, who have recently left the UFC to sign with Bellator.
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...yoto-machida-agrees-multi-fight-deal-bellator

Recent? Mitrione left the UFC 2 1/2 years ago. Same with Benson Henderson.

Not sure how 2 1/2 years is considered recent.

The other guys are definitely recent though.

Very happy with the good streak Lyoto has leaving the UFC. He gave a guy his first loss than knocked out Vitor into retirement. :)

Maybe he can get a rematch with Rampage at LHW if he beats Wand, since Machida was robbed last time.

I’m hoping he rematches Davis and if he wins that then a rematch with mousasi

I like Machida but at this point he is just another guy joining Bellator's old timers league

good decison for him, I guess.

I don't see it doing a lot for Bellator.

Even though Machida passed his prime, he is still deadly and worth watching. Coker is doing very well at the moment.

I was looming forwar to Machida vs Tavares in Brasil if Tavares get the W against Israel, but it is not going to happen...

Its crazy months ago people blasted the UFC for matching him with Anders, like it was cruel of them to do that to Machida matching him with an up and coming unbeaten fighter.

Months later and now those same people are all like we need Machida/Mousasi 2 and Machida/Rory.

How does Bellator keep affording these guys?

Not sure what Machida was making, but I figure $150-200k per fight. Bellator's ratings are what, 500-600k on average? And I don't really think Machida is a draw. He was good for the UFC because he could headline a Brazil FN show, or a major fight on a PPV. But not sure he is that helpful for Bellator to bring to San Jose or something.

Its UFC strategy of letting Bellator sink itself. Spending more and more on fighters/production while their ratings go down and down. Letting Coker sink himself. That and helping their case with the lawsuit.

100%
A healthier Bellator makes a better UFC

It seems Chandlers contract is up and he might be leaving.
If Bellator signs a 40 year old Machida and let Chandler slip...
I wont call it a healthy Bellator.
I can see UFC going after the poster boy just for shits n giggle.

Also lol at people believing in sponsors money in 2018.
Bellator is losing viewers thats not what sponsors pay for.

Back