Henderson vs. Machida

Alright, it's a long one, but there's a lot more to this fight than most seem to realize. So ready your "didn't read lol" gifs and scroll to the end. Here we go.

(The picture formatting looks like hell on Sherdog, sorry.)

Breakdown: Henderson vs. Machida

Well, the day came, and it went. The historic UFC 157 was a success and, while it didn

So Ivan lost AND Peoples was scoring!
This I'll just past on whole event and just watch the armbar.

Excellent analysis, man.

thanks ,,
i like machidas style better than hendos , but i was rooting for hendo , love hendo from the pride days , machida really made him look bad though , i thought they would have studied shoguns win over machida and followed a similar game plan. but hendo dosent have the same skill set as shogun

i will read yours when im not at work , i dont know how you guys get away with all this sherdog stuff and get a good days work in too ..

great breakdown, the point you made about dan being suited to boxing rather than muay thai was very salient, azam made a long detailed excellent post re: using kicks to take adv of the stance used by machida.

and he was right one hundred percent, but hendo lacks the skillset, phys ability to eff and consistently use that tactic. Its a point i made, as dangerous as hendo is; he is a limited striker tech, which means the strategy you can give him have limits as well. His team went w/the obvious opening, the stance; instead of doing the real work of getting dan to consistently use a jab and more refined, diverse footwork to provide him w/openings or get him in range. I think his team outthought themselves, i.e. machida WONT EXPECT US TO KICK ALOT..ACTIVELY..

i don't think they really addressed the issues lyoto presents..and it showed in how the fight went.

Thanks, devante.

I think you touched on a very good point. Coaches/camps these days seem to be really reluctant to change things about their fighters. I think it relates to something Sinister mentioned a while ago, about training the fighter's body to do the right thing, rather than letting the fighter's body do things it's own way. Henderson's camp had a nice thought with attacking those legs, but a more boxing/takedown-centric attack would have done much better by the old man.

The real point of my article is that Machida fought a very good fight. I didn't see all this hesitance that others have pointed out. I saw Machida flustering and capitalizing on the mistakes of a limited striker, which is really what he does best.

thanks ,,
i like machidas style better than hendos , but i was rooting for hendo , love hendo from the pride days , machida really made him look bad though , i thought they would have studied shoguns win over machida and followed a similar game plan. but hendo dosent have the same skill set as shogun

i will read yours when im not at work , i dont know how you guys get away with all this sherdog stuff and get a good days work in too ..

I'm a lousy student, so most of my Sherdog time occurs between classes or late at night. I'd much rather just have a 9-5 and no homework at this point, though. I keep missing way too much time at the gym.

r3Jla.gif

Like a Machida counter, I knew it was coming, but I had no hope of avoiding it.

lol, sir. I've never seen that one before, either.

Edit: I particularly like the single frame of some dude's face at the beginning. Is that Eli Porter?

Last edited:
The original word is brother. The abbreviated word is "bro," not a word in which you're omitting one letter, as is the case with most words into which an apostrophe is inserted. In any case, in those words, the apostrophe takes the place of the letter or letters removed from the original form.

Having established all that...

'bro?

^^^ That is really good lawyer-ing.... Did I hyphenate properly, sir.... :D

TheKarateStylist

On one hand, erratic and broken English.

On the other, references to Shakespearean dialect.

Something doesn't add up here.

Gimmicks are funny things.

I'll never understand the time required to be put in to do, what? Mildly annoy people? Seems like an actual waste of your life, and that is coming from a guy with so many so-called time wasting hobbies I hardly have time for life!

Anyways...

Good breakdowns of the fight. I didn't think Dan was going to be able to land the big one on Machida unless Lyoto got caught coming in, so I had to assume he was going to wait and counter himself, most likely winning. But then again, I couldn't imagine Rampage winning a decision against him either...

Back