HOAs suck

Because there are usually sections of the neighborhood that nobody owns, but still contain grass, bushes, trees, etc. so the HOA (home owners association) hires contractors to keep those places under maintenance.

Also, there's usually a set of rules that govern the neighborhodd, eg. yards have to be mowed before grass is ____ high, certain approved colors for housing, you can't rent a house out without living in it and owning it for ____ years (which is actually a great one). It's a safeguard that you won't have an eyesore house that's in disrepair with a unkempt yard that contains debris and shit. They can be annoying sometimes, but it does keep people from putting a black eye on the neighborhood.

I'm sure some are over the top, but with mine, they just like the illusion of power. By that, I mean you have to send a letter with a filled out document you print off online for housing changes like solar panels, new roof, massive landscaping changes like switching from grass to stone beds, etc. I've never been denied anything that I asked for, just finger wagged for not asking first when I neglected to do so.
Crazy. We have local government (aka councils, shires) to handle that shit. They also run the libraries, amateur sports and other community and recreation facilities. They are professionally staffed and cover tens of thousands of people. HOA sounds fucking retarded

And then there's crazy stuff like no pickups parked in the neighbourhood, or the best one ever - all vehicles to be garaged overnight.

Yeah, that's some major overreach. My garage is matted out and turned into a gym, so I'd be fucked if they did some draconian shit like that.

People do shit on HOAs, and I get it; like I've said, I've gotten some letters about not asking to put up a shed that was taller than my original fence and the like. Still, the neighborhood behind me, while very nice, doesn't have one and there's always the select few houses that have zero lawn care and are just an eyesore. Makes me a little grateful for mine because we never have that issue.

Do they mow yards or just the "common areas"?

I'm not a fan of HOAs myself unless they're reasonable and don't go all dictator on folks . . . color schemes of properties is one thing . . . whining about what I put in my back yard is another.

Glad we don't have one in our rural sub-division.
They mow everything trim the trees and use to put down new mulch every year. I use to work for the city and swung a weed eater all day and would rather mow the place myself but every house I looked at down here had HOAs. Bought this place cause it had a pool that I dont even use anymore and they take care of that too.
The old mowing service was great but they got outbid when this new bitch took over trying to save a few dollars. This HOA is huge they do half of the property in North Florida it seems.

My HOA is $20 a year. All it does is pay for maintaining the subdivision entrance wall/sign/grass. They've got such a surplus they sometimes rent out inflatables for the kids.

They've got a few rules about fencing and putting trash cans away that are never enforced.

All in all, it's fine. But I've heard plenty of horror stories from others.

They mow everything trim the trees and use to put down new mulch every year. I use to work for the city and swung a weed eater all day and would rather mow the place myself but every house I looked at down here had HOAs. Bought this place cause it had a pool that I dont even use anymore and they take care of that too.
The old mowing service was great but they got outbid when this new bitch took over trying to save a few dollars. This HOA is huge they do half of the property in North Florida it seems.

How expensive is your HOA?

They extract $600 per year from us in my hood.

Besides being useless and doing nothing, they hassle all the paying residents and ignore the trashy ones.

What you call a lose/lose for the owner.

they do sound pretty shitty

In fact, it doesn't sound THAT much different than where I grew up: Marine Corps base housing.
like 'we have to pay for the privilege of following your asisine rules?'

I’ll take an unkempt yard on my street if it means no HOA. I bristle at being told what I can and cannot do my own property.

How expensive is your HOA?

They extract $600 per year from us in my hood.

Besides being useless and doing nothing, they hassle all the paying residents and ignore the trashy ones.

What you call a lose/lose for the owner.
130 a month what the hell is a gummy? Also I didnt even get an automated message received email this time these fuckers are blatantly ignoring me.

130 a month what the hell is a gummy? Also I didnt even get an automated message received email this time these fuckers are blatantly ignoring me.

You know, gummies:
HighlyEdible-Gummy-GoldenStrawberryPucks-100mg.jpg

All HOA's vary, but most of the time when it is brought up, it's usually people complaining how much they suck. I lived in 2 different subdivisions that had HOA's. They were both fine. If anything I miss my previous home's HOA due to their epic clubhouse (basically a resort) and security patrol. Homeowners are also very involved, which is nice. Since 4000 homes were part of the same HOA the monthly fee was reasonable for what they offered.

My current home has no HOA, which is also nice. There are a few homes that have way too many cars all over and others that don't take care of their front lawn, but those are usually outliers.

Well you said she was trippin didnt you? Ive never tripped on weed

Me neither. She was seeing stuff all night. Kept talking all night.

Wife #1 said they were bullshit and didn't do nothing to her.

Me neither. She was seeing stuff all night. Kept talking all night.

Wife #1 said they were bullshit and didn't do nothing to her.
Weed is fucking awesome during sex it will blow your mind. Thats the only time I did it and havnt here in years.

When I buy my house no one is gonna tell me a god damn thing what i can do to it. I wouldnt even consider that an option.

Weed is fucking awesome during sex it will blow your mind. Thats the only time I did it and havnt here in years.

Yeah, it was a turn on for wife #2. She said it made every touch electric.

Wtf is A HOA
Home owner's association. Basically they elect a board to oversee activities such as maintenance of the property. Prime example I used to live in an attached townhouse, in addition to paying the bank for my mortgage I also had to pay a HOA monthly fee. The fee covered things like some insurances for the common property and building exteriors, lawn care, taking care of the pool, painting the buildings every few years, repair of the roofs and parking lot.
The problem is they also create what are called "condo commandos" which are basically overly zealous residents (almost always old retired assholes) that want to nitpick everything everyone does and report it to the board, these people also tend to be the ones that run for the home owner's association board (like president, VP, treasurer, etc.).
Simple fact is they are horrible. The one I lived in originally had a monthly fee of $115 per month, by the time I moved out the fee had risen to about $225 a month and in that 10 years they had implemented two "one time" fees for things that they were short on for money. Also we had one person that got in as the president of the board that pushed for the foreclosure on three homes that didn't keep up with their monthly fee, then had an "auction" without telling people where her relatives paid pennies on the dollar to take the homes, which just happened to be right next to her's. Add to that the fact that the woman went from driving a piece of crap car to a brand new BMW within six months of her assuming the position, it became pretty clear she was embezzling (which caused one of the "one time fees" to cover attorney fees to sue her).

Needless to say, every house I've bought since then I flat out refuse to even look at a house that has an HOA.

Limited HOA is best. Old one was 500 every 3 months and they hired lawn, but, etc but it was always shitty. New HOA is just 300 a year, they maintain the clubhouse, pool, park and do events and monitor houses. Way better imo.

Your old one was $2000 a year? SMH. Depending on where you live, that's 1.5-2 mortgage payments.

Home owner's association. Basically they elect a board to oversee activities such as maintenance of the property. Prime example I used to live in an attached townhouse, in addition to paying the bank for my mortgage I also had to pay a HOA monthly fee. The fee covered things like some insurances for the common property and building exteriors, lawn care, taking care of the pool, painting the buildings every few years, repair of the roofs and parking lot.
The problem is they also create what are called "condo commandos" which are basically overly zealous residents (almost always old retired assholes) that want to nitpick everything everyone does and report it to the board, these people also tend to be the ones that run for the home owner's association board (like president, VP, treasurer, etc.).
Simple fact is they are horrible. The one I lived in originally had a monthly fee of $115 per month, by the time I moved out the fee had risen to about $225 a month and in that 10 years they had implemented two "one time" fees for things that they were short on for money. Also we had one person that got in as the president of the board that pushed for the foreclosure on three homes that didn't keep up with their monthly fee, then had an "auction" without telling people where her relatives paid pennies on the dollar to take the homes, which just happened to be right next to her's. Add to that the fact that the woman went from driving a piece of crap car to a brand new BMW within six months of her assuming the position, it became pretty clear she was embezzling (which caused one of the "one time fees" to cover attorney fees to sue her).

Needless to say, every house I've bought since then I flat out refuse to even look at a house that has an HOA.
How much you get for your house since you moved north? You had a pool at your old house too didnt you. Remember you saying something about flooding during a hurricane years ago.

Back