how can you be a GOAT when you lose in your prime twice to the same guy?

Wrestling mileage ≠ Cagefighting mileage
Sure, but it's very serious mileage nonetheless. S&C training in elite wrestling is, on the whole, tougher than in MMA, and injuries are extremely common. Not to mention many weight cuts (one of which caused DC to have kidney failure), which are serious mileage themselves. The wear on your knees and joints from wrestling is also pretty serious.

The main advantage it has is of course that you aren't being subjected to constant head injury. Still, there's a clear difference between the way DC moved in his prime (early 20s), and the way he could move in his MMA career.

people say mileage as if Aldo hasn't been fighting once a year in the ufc, against competition he has been outclassing thoroughly for the most part....

that's like the weakest strength of schedule of any athlete ever....someone even had the nerve to mention NFL running backs as a comparison...

Most athletes get fucked up, then get wheeled out and do it all again the next week. Get a grip. Even if he is past his prime, if we assume that your prime is one moment in time, then yes you are either pre-prime or post prime, but lets not pretend he's declined so much that it excuses getting destroyed by 3 times by up and comers he never fought before that are notably better than his previous competition.

MMA is a relatively new sport so there are alot of fans, especially with how much it's grown in popularity, that don't know what they are looking at. This is demonstrated here.

People are actually claiming Jose is still in his prime and that he fights "exactly the same." It's clear he's nowhere near as dynamic or explosive as he was during his heyday. Prime Aldo was a tornado, almost wreckless, with massive power. This version clearly has a diminished gas tank and is not as fast or powerful. I personally don't care about steroids or USADA so whether it's due to age or supplements I don't really know or care but he has never pissed hot so I'd say it's the years of fighting, lack of confidence and motivation that has combined to create a fighter that I would say is far less impressive.

I think a prime Aldo would have made Holloway look ordinary.

No. My theory is that it's completely feasible to lose 100% of the time to another fighter, even in your prime and still be GOAT.

Say you beat everyone except that guy, but at the same time that guy can't beat most of the people in the division, so that if that guy fights 20 people in the division he loses 10, but if you fight 20 you lose only once. Further, think about the logical contradiction this brings: if the guy loses ten and he beat the previous GOAT decisively, but the people he loses against also beat him decisively, then that means that now there's multiple GOATS.

So the criteria isn't simply "can he beat absolutely everyone" because there's a possibility for bad matchups, but more "can he consistently beat a very large majority of the division for an extended period of time, and if he is beat, can the guy that beat him do the same"

Sure, but it's very serious mileage nonetheless. S&C training in elite wrestling is, on the whole, tougher than in MMA, and injuries are extremely common. Not to mention many weight cuts (one of which caused DC to have kidney failure), which are serious mileage themselves. The wear on your knees and joints from wrestling is also pretty serious.

The main advantage it has is of course that you aren't being subjected to constant head injury. Still, there's a clear difference between the way DC moved in his prime (early 20s), and the way he could move in his MMA career.

I agree, and I regret even putting DC in my post. My point was to point out Aldo's mileage. I only included DC to point out how ridiculous it is to only use age as the only determining factor in a fighter's regressions.

You mentioning DC in his early 20s should put the level of athlete DC is into perspective. The guy is a freak of nature to be a world beater at his age.

Saw the same thing with Fedor. He's still in his prime because this other guy of the same age is in his prime. Logic!

I agree, and I regret even putting DC in my post. My point was to point out Aldo's mileage. I only included DC to point out how ridiculous it is to only use age as the only determining factor in a fighter's regressions.

You mentioning DC in his early 20s should put the level of athlete DC is into perspective. The guy is a freak of nature to be a world beater at his age.
Yeah there's definitely more than age involved. A lot of it can also come down to the individual and the division. Aldo is a really fast-twitch and explosive guy, and that tends to go earlier. His division is lighter, where people tend to have shorter runs.

All that said, Aldo is still really, really good. I can't see anyone but the champ beating him in that division, and he probably has a decent run at 155 in him. I don't buy into the narrative that Aldo is on retirement's door in terms of his ability. He may be past his prime, but he's not all too far past it, the performance against Frankie was amazing. If Aldo chooses, he can still achieve a lot.

the guys that beat you were better than you... regardless of how many wins or defenses you had

defending titles does not make you a GOAT.. the guy you lost to is better

therefore you're not greater than him

This is about Aldo I'm guessing. What happens if Holloway loses to Frankie?

C41CPDcW8AgE5SN.jpg

Except he’a not in his prime

Let it go dude
How come? He fought Edgar 1 year ago and looked in his prime, and that was just after the Mac fight, he just met his match in Holloway, enough said. You can't drop down that much in 1 year, physical prime is between 27-32 so Aldo is still in it.

werent people saying that UFC 200 Aldo is the best Aldo weve ever seen?

the guys that beat you were better than you... regardless of how many wins or defenses you had

Does this mean Nate is better than Conor since he got the finish and the second fight was 3-2?

GOAT = greatest of all time.. not greatest right now. Aldo is the FW goat.. for now.. and hes way out of his prime.. i think his prime ended early ufc days. (not alot of finishes.) also OP is a retard

Didn't Ali arguably get beat 3 times by Ken Norton? Also Aldo is not the same fighter he was 3/4 years ago. His range, speed and kicking game used to work so well into his aggressive style.

He's been gassing at featherweight for a while but looks too small for LW so not sure where he goes from here.

Aldo is not in his prime.

He started fighting as a pro in 2004, so he has a 13 year-long career. That's a lot of fight mileage.

This is retarded..

Age just doesn't transcend the same for everyone...Guys like Jones didn't start til later in life making his prime years move further into his career. Aldo on the other hand has been at this since he was a young pup.

Also let's not miss the fact that the sport is still evolving and guys are just going to keep getting that much better. Give credit to Max, I can as a huge Aldo fan so why shit on him?

So Dustin Poirier and Dennis Bermudez are better than Max Holloway then? Nate Diaz, Joe Duffy and a couple of random bums are better than Conor? Actually, everyone that’s ever lost a fight to some dude is worse than them? Excellent thinking there. Very good. Continue.

I reckon there’d be a lot of brilliant examples of this weirdos strange train of thought: first cab off the rank...

Court McGee is better than Robert Whittaker. Could’ve fooled me, but there you go. GSP ducking the real middleweight champ McGee!

Back