How is the trade war going?

Johnny Rosa

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

And of course Harley Davidson feeling forced to leave, but thats peanuts as it's 'only' one company and they were manufacturing abroad before that, compared to the huge damage trade wars will so to everyone involved. People will lose jobs, pay more for products, create international distrust and of course plummeting stocks, which was Trumps 'big win' where he thought he created trillions of dollars.

Like the N-Korea summit, I would recommend Trump if he is the first to do something radical it would be wise to consider why it hasn't been done before and not assume because he is smarter than all presidents before him.

His narcism will cause a global recession, not Bill Maher.

EDIT: The American Institute for International Steel (AIIS) is preparing to file a lawsuit against Trump as they state that Trump is exercizing legislative powers, which according to the constitution belong to congress.

Last edited:
It's going to take time to see the real impact of the "trade war". If there are negative effects expect the American middle and lower class to feel most of the impact and if it works out the rich will get the most reward.

One thing to note is that, while the overall result for the average US citizen will be bad, people in red states will be fucked over the most. EU lawmakers are explicitly targeting products manufactured in those states. They want to end this madness and making Republican congressmen stand up against it might be the only way.

Of course, that's counting on those congressmen having a spine which isn't a given as shown recently.

We arent high jacking each others trucks at the end of a gun, sinking each others ships, and kidnapping each others scientists/engineers in order to torture them for intel. Right now is just a little healthy competition. Nothing wrong with a little bickering and conflict to get the blood boiling again.

I try to look at this in a positive light. Whatever we ban from them, we have to make ourselves.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

One thing to note is that, while the overall result for the average US citizen will be bad, people in red states will be fucked over the most. EU lawmakers are explicitly targeting products manufactured in those states. They want to end this madness and making Republican congressmen stand up against it might be the only way.

Of course, that's counting on those congressmen having a spine which isn't a given as shown recently.

Targeting specific states to change the country's political climate makes the trade wars even scarier.

Targeting specific states to change the country's political climate makes the trade wars even scarier.
I agree that trying to affect US politics in any way is ugly business and something the EU has always avoided, but Russia already opened that door in way more nefarious ways.

I agree that trying to affect US politics in any way is ugly business and something the EU has always avoided, but Russia already opened that door in way more nefarious ways.

When your allies are doing trying to impact your country's politics it is a much larger statement that your country's policies are not the right ones.

And of course Harley Davidson feeling forced to leave, but thats peanuts as it's 'only' one company and they were manufacturing abroad before that, compared to the huge damage trade wars will so to everyone involved. People will lose jobs, pay more for products, create international distrust and of course plummeting stocks, which was Trumps 'big win' where he thought he created trillions of dollars.

Like the N-Korea summit, I would recommend Trump if he is the first to do something radical it would be wise to consider why it hasn't been done before and not assume because he is smarter than all presidents before him.

His narcism will cause a global recession, not Bill Maher.

It's ironic. For once Trump really told the truth with his tweets. I wonder if even his own base believes any of them anymore. I sense an awareness that they were never there to be factual.

Harley Davidson has already been doing this. They have been shifting production chiefly to avoid Asian tariffs. The tariffs on the EU are the straw that broke the camel's back, or at least too much disincentive to overlook, but it's difficult to blame this wholesale on Trump. He isn't in control of other countries' tariffs: only our own.

I don't think he knows what he's doing, but it's not like anyone has any idea where this ultimately headed, yet.

On a serious note though, Trump's trade war is totally misguided and moronic and will hurt ourselves and our allies in both the short and long run. I haven't seen one serious economist support it yet, but please do share if someone else has.

When your allies are doing trying to impact your country's politics it is a much larger statement that your country's policies are not the right ones.
Yeah, above all they know this stupid trade war policy is short legged. Nobody wants this. The US certainly doesn't, and it's larger than Trump.

Or at least not the right policies for those allies. After a certain point, when does such tactics used to influence and chance another nations policies mean that those allies are in fact no longer allies or possibly only were when it was most advantageous to their own national interests regardless of any potential disparity in the trade and perks of the alliance...

It's going to be bad for the EU. There's a lot of red states.

Like everything the Republicans do, only the poor and middleclass will be hurt.

Or at least not the right policies for those allies. After a certain point, when does such tactics used to influence and chance another nations policies mean that those allies are in fact no longer allies or possibly only were when it was most advantageous to their own national interests regardless of any potential disparity in the trade and perks of the alliance...

In this case the US is being the aggressor. It definitely shows how on edge the world is right now.

Like everything the Republicans do, only the poor and middleclass will be hurt.
I *think* most non-Trumpster Republicans oppose this pretty strongly, certainly the old school conservative types do. Trade wars are red meat for the nationalist, Breitbart wing of the party.

Not that I ever expect them to find their spines, but I'd bet significant money that guys like Ryan, McConnell, etc. oppose tariffs. They're just bitches and won't stand up to Trump and act like the co-equal branches of government they're supposed to represent.

These trade wars hurt business owners as well. Poor, rich, middle-class, us our allies, etc. all get hurt. I suppose Putin loves it though.

In this case the US is being the aggressor. It definitely shows how on edge the world is right now.
Yes, I agree we are the aggressors. My question though is..Despite the push coming from Trump and the potential issues trade wars engender, is it in our national interests to push for more fair and balanced agreements? To push for less foreign dependency on goods to try and pull the nation a little less away from being predominately a consumer nation rather than a strong productive one? Is it wrong to go hard on trade to potentially offset the expense we invest in their defense?

Yes, I agree we are the aggressors. My question though is..Despite the push coming from Trump and the potential issues trade wars engender, is it in our national interests to push for more fair and balanced agreements? To push for less foreign dependency on goods to try and pull the nation a little less away from being predominately a consumer nation rather than a strong productive one? Is it wrong to go hard on trade to potentially offset the expense we invest in their defense?

It really depends on the final outcome. None of of know how this will play out. Maybe it turns out in our favor, maybe it cripples our economy that's why it is scary. Taking a major risk right now when we are in the middle of great economic growth is what most people find scary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back