How many Xmas gatherings do you attend? (Bitching inside)

We're expecting a big storm with lots of snow here so hopefully, none at all.

Perhaps but I don’t think I’m ever going to want to spend Christmas with distant relatives. There’s birthdays, weddings, and a bunch of other reasons to spend time with family.

Right, but we're not talking about you & your distant family, we are talking about your wife. She wants to see hers. So in theory, you would do it for her.

I wish I had a big enough place so I could just host Christmas myself each year. I hate having to pack up all the kids just to spend an hour or two tops at my dads house, then pack the kids up again and take them home for bedtime.

Why not give the wife the option to go visit her relatives and stay home? I don't see why you have to do everything together.

I do a Christmas with my family and a Christmas with my wife’s family. My wife tried to add a wrinkle to that this year and tried to drag me out of town (only 1.5 hours, but still) to Christmas with her father’s cousin’s family. I said wtf and hell no. I told her I only do Christmas with immediate family.

She is super pissed at me right now. Her arguement is that she has a small immediate family (where as I have 5 siblings and a bunch of nieces and nephews) so she needs to spend holidays with cousins, 2nd cousins, etc. because that’s her family.

I feel kind of bad because I don’t want to keep from spending time with her family but I also don’t want to start celebrating Christmas 3x a year, especially with distant relatives. Growing up we had 1 Christmas, my parents, my siblings and grandparents (if they wanted to come). None of this going to other people’s house BS.

Am I being a grinch? My wife says I just ruined Christmas.

Happy wife is happy life. You done goofed

I like Christmas gatherings because the food is great.

I only hate going to them because my relatives live in northern California and it is 30 degrees over there.

I don't have any friends and my family hates me. I'm sorry it's inconvenient that too many people want to spend time with you.

Probably none this year - but on the norm 1-3.

Just not feeling it this year.

Normally one with some local relatives at home the visiting my dad in the evening reasonably close by, larger family get together happened last weekend.

I seem to be rare in that I get along with all of my relatives.

Last edited:
Right, but we're not talking about you & your distant family, we are talking about your wife. She wants to see hers. So in theory, you would do it for her.

I don’t want to set a precedent where we start going out of town to see her 2nd cousins on Xmas. I’ll probably make a point to so ok to spending more time with them during the year.

Why not give the wife the option to go visit her relatives and stay home? I don't see why you have to do everything together.

Not an option. That was my first thought. I recommended that and my wife got even angrier. She says husbands and wives shouldn’t attend family functions alone.

Well damn Clippy. I didn’t expect that from the nicest guy on Sherdog.

Happy wife is happy life. You done goofed

I read that that term is false because a happy marriage is actually more dependent on the husband’s happiness and also that term is belittling to women.

I don't have any friends and my family hates me. I'm sorry it's inconvenient that too many people want to spend time with you.

Sorry bro. Friends come and go. There is usually always a chance to make up with family (if that’s what you want).

I don’t want to set a precedent where we start going out of town to see her 2nd cousins on Xmas. I’ll probably make a point to so ok to spending more time with them during the year.

Not an option. That was my first thought. I recommended that and my wife got even angrier. She says husbands and wives shouldn’t attend family functions alone.

Well damn Clippy. I didn’t expect that from the nicest guy on Sherdog.

You obviously haven't seen me talk to John Wang

Meh. I’m going to a family dinner two hours out of town where none of the people will speak the same language as me (they can, but choose not). I’d just go to her cousins man.

I used to have to drive around the entire metropolitan area to 3 or 4 different events on Christmas. Now, I just host it at my house. I think hosting might be more of a pain in the ass though.

I read that that term is false because a happy marriage is actually more dependent on the husband’s happiness and also that term is belittling to women.

Sorry bro. Friends come and go. There is usually always a chance to make up with family (if that’s what you want).
How is a term that talks about keeping your wife happy as a key to a successful marriage belittling? Let me guess, The Huffington Post told you it was offensive, right?

I'm heading into my 3rd Christmas this year today, Christmas is fucking awesome!

Back