How to shadow box?

Got ya, I'll post one soon. I'm normally only going there for the classes, sometimes I stay after to hit the bag, I will post another one. Something I should mention is, they don't really have a striking class they do have one like once a week than it's sparring and then ground and pound sparring, but they do have open mat a lot of the times on fri's. So maybe on fri. When some people stay after class I usually have the fighters coach me on the bag.
sounds like a good move. any extra work you but in will only make you better. it is what separates the best from the rest.

Look up Cuban and Soviet training. They do mostly shadow boxing.

And of course, don't go 100% speed and power, that's nonsense.

Oh another thing I should mention is apparently jacare Souza, might be coming my gym to prepare for his fight on sat. I'm hoping to meet him and ask him questions, pick his brain a little bit, and give me advice on grappling too. I'm going to try and get a pic with him. Again it's not official since the fight is in NYC, basically above Penn station but the gym isn't exactly close to any stop before Penn station, I'm hoping he will come to the gym.

I'm actually rooting for Chris weidman this sat, but would be great for a famous UFC fighter that I met to win.

1. Punches must always be thrown
2. They must all be thrown with an intention
3. Combos
4. Technique

I managed to fuck up my wrist. Nothing serious but the pain is amazing. I can not lift the bar even on the bench without feeling like my wrist is going to get broken.

I have been very careless with it, so I am taking a huge break from boxing in order to let it heal and fully recover. I am working out with a body builder friend of mine who is very helpful in exercise selection at the gym, so my wrist gets a nice grip and does not get tension. Obviously I am very limited but whatever. Working out is better than not working out.

However regarding boxing. I not want to loose too much. I have had a pretty decent progress lately. I just hit an "aha moment" on which I have been working and improving.

The obvious choice is to shadow box I guess. But I really have no clue how to shadow box and I have few major problem with it
1) How do you know your technique is okay without a coach to watch you and correct? And I have a big problem with thst as I was shadow boxing on my own one summer and picked an amazing amount of bad habits.

2) How do you actually do it? What is your routine? And etc...

Lastly what else can be done in that off time from the boxing gym that can transfer to my boxing? Road work?

you can shadow box however you want really, theres a million different ways to do it.

It can also be extremely tiring.

If you shadow box with 100% speed and effort, its very tiring, its something I do in my final preperations for a fight.

Either go hard with it for cardio.

go light for technique

mix and match

work your footwork.

Have fun with it. Just get out there and start doing it. once you start doing it, you will find yourself creating your own routine, doing your own things.

another thing I used to do, was sometimes on fridays, end of week training, if i was burnt out, i would just do a few light rounds of shadowboxing, few light rounds of bag, and call it a day.

you can shadow box however you want really, theres a million different ways to do it.

If you shadow box with 100% speed and effort, its very tiring, its something I do in my final preperations for a fight.

go light for technique

mix and match

work your footwork.

Have fun with it. Just get out there and start doing it. once you start doing it, you will find yourself creating your own routine, doing your own things.

another thing I used to do, was sometimes on fridays, end of week training, if i was burnt out, i would just do a few light rounds of shadowboxing, few light rounds of bag, and call it a day.

Shin, there is only one way to shadowbox and that is throwing endless combinations, hoping to hit your imaginary friend.

go light for technique

mix and match

work your footwork.

my father is a good horse trainer, and his mantra is that the recovery is more important than the training, especially with sprint horses. i like how you take an easy session to loosen up and work technique, there is no point breaking your body down by overworking it. it can be a fine line when your a lazy bastard like me though. my biggest problem is having no gym/coach and always being able to work at my own tempo.

Shadow Boxing and how it was an individual meditation. Wherever you are based on your fighting experiences and your extrategy for a determined fight you will know what you need to change the trainer more.

Your emphasis should be on movement combine diagonal movement footwork with rolling, fire fast left hooksfollowing on from the inside slip.

my father is a good horse trainer, and his mantra is that the recovery is more important than the training, especially with sprint horses. i like how you take an easy session to loosen up and work technique, there is no point breaking your body down by overworking it. it can be a fine line when your a lazy bastard like me though. my biggest problem is having no gym/coach and always being able to work at my own tempo.

you definitely need someone on your ass to help push you over your limits.

My wrist felt okay yesterday and I even managed to do a pull workout with DL and chin ups. However I am not banging a heavy bag or pads anytime soon, nor I am sparring.

one bad habit is to actually look at your shadow while you shadowbox. depending on where the light source is, you end up throwing combos while having your head looking in wrong direction. same reason i dont like mirrors either. everyone does it though.

just imagine someone as tall as you, and make sure you're punching to your own chin level (not punching midget), returning your hand to guard and not leaving it out or leaving it low after punch, this is all something you can feel kinesthetically. kicks are harder, most people dont have good enough balance to kick through the target, continue the motion without actually hitting something. they usually just stop their leg like they hit an imaginary target Lol

Back