How would prime GSP, Jones and Silva do in their respective divisions today?

It doesn't matter if even GSP contradicts them, they'll continue to live in denial : “I don’t believe fighters are better, I believe technology is better. I mean, athletes are not better today than they were before. The technology and the knowledge- access is better. That’s why the fighters are better. It’s not because they are a better person. They’re the same. They just have access easier, and more knowledge.”

https://www.essentiallysports.com/a...-they-were-before-georges-st-pierre-ufc-news/

And his answer is damage control, because MMA is much more widespread and far more popular today, so the competition is obviously tougher. Only Jon Jones can claim to be the real champion in this list since he beat Glover in his prime.

This is gonna ruffle a LOT of feathers...but...

pretty decent chance Rick Story beats GSP

Afterall, he beat pre usada hendricks...

This is gonna ruffle a LOT of feathers...but...

pretty decent chance Rick Story beats GSP

Afterall, he beat pre usada hendricks...

I don't know but he certainly did better than GSP against Hendricks at least :

P7FM5Y8.jpg

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/4707/Georges-St-Pierre-vs-Johny-Hendricks

Peak Jon Jones? There's no reason for me to believe any current LHW would beat him. Prime Jan would obviously give him some trouble.

Anderson Silva? I know he had a good showing against Izzy at like 42 years olds but I won't sit here and say with confidence that Silva would beat Izzy easily. The fight would've been super competitive tho. For me it's up in the air who would win. Personally I've always thought Anderson Silva had better killer instinct, was more craftier with his setups and was willingly to take more risk. Imo A guy like Izzy 110% excels when he can lure your into his trap but will become basic as hell in unfamiliar situations even when he's dealing with pure striking encounters

GSP? Styles make fights. I think he could out work Leon on the ground without too much trouble. Woodley vs GSP would look a lot like Hendrick vs GSP. Vs Usman? I'm not really sure. Usman started to develop his striking game late into his career but by that point his knees were already shot. Prime Usman favored his ground game more and if George was facing prime Usman, I would favor GSP both on the ground and in a striking exchange

Last edited:
Now you need to work on reading comprehension.

I said Hendricks was better at NCAA.

Kamaru was a better post-college wrestler and MUCH better mma wrestler
You have every right to be wrong if you would like. Hendricks was better in mma as well striking and wrestling until they put in the IV Ban.... he obviously didn't want to diet as seen in his later career. He was definitely shit at cutting weight.

GSP: champ at 170

Silva: top 3, would depend on how he does vs Pereira and Izzy. Based on how well a very washed Anderson did vs Izzy, I have to think he has a good chance at winning on his best night

Jones: would be champ at 205 until USADA gets him
lol these usada jokes
i havent seen any loss coming from usada in his resume
the only fighter that wiped out 2 generations of WORLD CLASS fighters
dominated pre usada
dominated usada era
you see fighters like fedor looked like a monster in a PED org like pride
but look like average when fighting in a drug tested org like strikeforce
his fans claim his out of his prime by the age of 32
in reality drug testing ruined him
thats a good example

Last edited:
Those aren't the only old champs that would be champs today.

I know it is nice to think of today's advantages and assume everyone is now better, but that just doesn't pass the smell test.

They did the same wrestling, kickboxing, BJJ back then. Does new training methods mean fighters are better now? Nope. It means it is advantageous if you are a new MMA fighter and don't know how to train for it. There is a path to get there sooner through standardized training that is specific to the sport which didn't exist then. Back then, you had to find your way or find trainers that understood a new sport. Does that mean older fighters weren't better? Not at all.

What I see with the current sport is that low to medium level guys are better trained and more well rounded. As far as the top 5-10 guys in the division compared to older times? I think the sport has devolved at the top; this is indisputably true at HW and LHW, and you could make a fair argument that it is true in other weight classes. LW has two guys and the rest really suck, so we can't even make a sweeping generalization that lower weights are better in the top 10.
Thank you...I get saying today's guys are better than guys from like, the OG UFC, but have fighters really evolved THAT much in the past 10- 15 years? I'd say we see more people that are Jack's of all trades and masters of none (not to say that there aren't exceptions). I also find it weird people talk about training being so much more advanced, which it probably is, but to me I feel like there are waaay more pullout and injuries than there used to be. Or maybe I just never payed attention

Back