How Would You Coach Wonderboy To Get The Win Over Shavkat?

Do what he always does and hope Shavkat gets drawn into a stand-up battle. He should play a mental game and try to get Shavkat to stand with him as much as he can, say he's scared of his striking etc. He should say it matter of fact my, like it's just common sense that Shavkat can't strike with him, dismiss his striking completely, trigger Shavkat's ego. In the actual fight I don't know what you could tell him that he doesn't already know, fight at range and stay off the cage, he knows that

Stick-n-move. Make the crowd boo. Try to get Shavkat to walk on to the perfect counter, probably from southpaw as Neal had a lot of success with his left hand.

The problem for Wonderboy is he doesn't really have any kill-shots outside of his spinning-wheel-kick. He can sting guys with his hands a little but he typically doesn't put ppl out, and at 41 I'd imagine he has even less speed & power at this point. Plus his takedown defense looked awful vs Holland.

It's a tough hang for Stephen

I mean, It's Wonderboy. There aren't too many options. He does what he does and his strengths are what they are. No changing that at this point.

Shavkat doesn't move his head off the center line, almost ever. Try to capitalise on that. Wonderboy is good at covering ground when he darts in with punches, so I'd say throw combos down the middle, and finish them with high kicks. Try to get a finish or do enough damage to win on points.

Obviously WB has to be more defensively responsible than he was against Holland. Shavkat is going to try to crowd him and walk him down when he throws in bunches, so its probably going to have to be an in and out game for Thompson.

two words - Takedown Defense
WB can hang with anyone on the feet and potentially style on them. if Shavkat gets him on the ground we likely will see the first time WB is submitted in his MMA career.

At his age, the best thing he could do to dramatically increase his chance of winning is get on TRT and roids.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Fight smart, manage distance, stick & move.
Fight IQ is not Skavkat's strength. He can be out-strategized

I'd tell him to do his thing. Shavkat has too much ego to go full wrestling
he will keep it on the feet to prove a point

Back