I’d like to see Chael Sonnen replace Jon Anik

I never got the Anik hate. He’s not exactly great but not bad either. People that love Goldberg suffer from nostalgia vibes. He was not good and just a massive tool.
Nah dawg, Dana-Fertitta Goldberg-Rogan era shit hit different, I’ll even up it to Eddie bravo unofficial scorecard hit different, yeah it’s definitely nostalgic but it was good shit too.

Their commentating jobs are different. Anik reads out the adds, lists their fight/life history and does the occasional play by play.

Chael puts you through each position, analyzing the fight in real time.

Nah dawg, Dana-Fertitta Goldberg-Rogan era shit hit different, I’ll even up it to Eddie bravo unofficial scorecard hit different, yeah it’s definitely nostalgic but it was good shit too.

To each their own I guess. I do think godly had some decent calls but had even more blunders,awkward comments and just became too generic and tiring. I was ready for him to leave when he left.

The only ex fighters I actually enjoy their commentary are Brian Stann and Bas. After that in order from ok to gtfo already; Felder, Cruz, Hardy, Bisping and Cormier

I think you're confused by what a play-by-play guy is vs a color commentator. Color commentators are typically the former athletes, like Chael. Their job is to add insight and analysis to the action. Play-by-play is a completely different job, and is NEVER done by former athletes, in any sport. Their job is to host, ask questions of the analysts, read scripted adds/info, and call the action as they see it. Anik is great at this job. Someone like Chael would be completely lost and wasted as a play-by-play guy. He is decent as a color commentator though, but like I said, its a completely different job.

Great points, the commentators in boxing know when the fight is about to end or the start of finishing the fight. They catch the details that leads up to the finish and start getting excited early while in UFC they tend to react after instead.

I should watch more boxing but the De La Hoya-Vargas fight and commentary is amazing.
*after Vargas is knocked down in the 11th*
Jim Lampley: Vargas jumps up off the canvas! "Let me at him!" There's so much desire in Fernando Vargas!!
*Oscar starts unloading*
Jim Lampley: But a better fighter is beating him now!!!!

It definitely doesn't translate over text but what a sequence.

Anik bugs the shit out of me with his weird facts/stats....

Example: pointing out that Meisha Tate was the only active fighter to be actively breast feeding . . .
Chris Gutierrez and Andre Ewell both going through child custody battles was the best

Chael is a buffoon and physically behaves like he suffers from serious neurological problems. Does no one watch this freak's behavior with his hands?

I think you're confused by what a play-by-play guy is vs a color commentator. Color commentators are typically the former athletes, like Chael. Their job is to add insight and analysis to the action. Play-by-play is a completely different job, and is NEVER done by former athletes, in any sport. Their job is to host, ask questions of the analysts, read scripted adds/info, and call the action as they see it. Anik is great at this job. Someone like Chael would be completely lost and wasted as a play-by-play guy. He is decent as a color commentator though, but like I said, its a completely different job.
thank you

Chael talks too much shit half of it he doesn't believe himself and is just trolling people. It would be very funny though.

The British guy (seriously can’t remember his name but love his voice and bow tie) makes me feel like I’m watching classy violence as a gentleman lol.
He is great.
I also like Dominick Cruz.
DC and Bisping have gotten really old.

I actually disliked Anik when he was newer, but he kinda grew on me. He's still a little bit robotic, but he is very professional and knows his place/doesn't say too much stupid stuff.

One thing that always bothered me a bit about UFC commentary is how they can't create tension when something crazy happens in the cage, like when a fighter is about to finish the other guy. When you watch some Boxing classics, the commentators would often go crazy, adding to the tension. No UFC commentary team has figured out to do this yet.
In fairness, it's harder in MMA since the finishes are called so fast. Boxing's pace is better for tension.

Aside from that I appreciate how Sherbros can hate everyone and everything. Anik is key to the whole current broadcast team IMHO. He's the boring straight ahead broadcast guy whereas nearly everyone else is essentially a personality/color commentator. They need that anchor that he provides. Someone else could do it, but that someone else ain't Chael Sonnen.

Edit: I see someone above said essentially the same. My bad. I didnt read the whole thread before posting. Anik would have read the whole thread before shooting his mouth off. That's why he's needed. :)

WTF no.
Like seriously -
200w.gif

Back