I don’t want to be that guy but....

LoadedZeus

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
That Holloway vs Gaethje fight was complete bs. This is coming from someone who loves both fighters, they true BMFs and legends of the sport already. I do think Holloway is still a bit too small for 155 and that fight didn't change much imo, somebody has to say it, with people going around calling it the greatest knock out of all time, sorry but no.

The fight was over at end of first round. Was watching with a few friends also and what happened in last second of that round literally ended that fight right there to be honest, we all knew it. Gaethjes nose was broken from an super unlucky collision. Last second of the round, Holloway threw that spinning back kick to body, and at same time he was throwing kick, gaethje was going for takedown and Holloways kick ended up colliding with gaethjes nose straight on full force. It was super unlucky, bad mistake from Gaethje sure, but super lucky for Holloway to be honest. Its not as if he threw a head kick that broke his nose intentionally, he literally threw a back kick that gaethje ended up running straight into, and boom broken nose.

Broken nose in a fight is probably the worst thing that can happen. Aside from obvious pain, you can't breathe through your nose anymore, all breathing through mouth, and you can imagine how that would be in high intensity fight, where cardio and breathing is everything.

It just sucks that we didn't get to see a proper fight, Gaethje was in survival mode just looking for big shots rest of fight, while Holloway just pot shotting him at distance running around, I think its crazy that Holloway couldn't even finish him after first round, he only finished him because he baited him into a 5 second brawl where all odds in his favour to be honest, Gaethje had no choice either and obviously he got knocked out. Hes warrior for sticking it through all the way.

That wasn't a BMF fight and worst part is because of that one moment and broken nose, Gaethje got screwed and hes not getting near title anymore either. After watching a handicapped Gaethje fight Holloway like that, I think 9 times out of 10, Gaethje gonna whoop his ass to be honest, I still love Max but hes a 145er, Poirier second fight showed it as well. If anything, Holloway truly blessed and he got lucky he didn't take more of a beating against guy like Gaethje, and just enough of it being called greatest knockout too, somebody gotta call out these things, no offense to nobody. Both BMFs still for sure, but damn, Gaethje got screwed.

Edit:

You know what? I stand corrected, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe still a bit upset about fight being over so quickly and really did think there was a bit of luck involved, but watching fight back a bit and seeing some video analysis as well, especially from linked video, seems that Holloway was in fact setting up the kick nicely with Gaethje dipping his head so often.

Seems like a hell of a plan and execution the way it ended up working out. You know what? My bad, give the man his props, Holloway done did something most people counted him out for, with crazy fight iq and just beautiful striking, that kick especially a thing of beauty. My bad for all thinking otherwise, watch linked video as well and it shows technique and strategy well, I stand corrected. Give the man his props, bmf for sure, still has tough fights ahead but damn son, what a performance. Feel bad for Gaethje but he got exposed I guess, hes still got a lot ahead of him, just gotta fix some stuff. As for Max, I think he beats Topuria but tough fight still, gonna be interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah, Gaethje shattering his nose definitely had a big impact on the fight but Max threw a kick and it landed. That's fighting.

You're right but its not as if Holloway threw kick to face that landed. He threw body kick that ended up landing straight to nose through circumstances. A bit of luck there no?

I mean Max was throwing that kick every time Justin ducked down, this is something he does often in his fights so Max probably anticipated it.
I don't really think that was luck, Max seem to have prepared a few ways to punish Justin for dipping his head with that kick and his uppercut which worked pretty well.

I mean I see your point, it would have been interesting to see the fight without the RD1 broke nose....but Max did land that kick several times, and Justin kept ducking into it. Wasn't like a total fluke shot.

But that kick was first time he threw it in fight. After that round, he threw a lot more, maybe he thought similar success but it worked nice either way, that kick is beauty. But still, damn.

I'm sure having a broken nose can make it very hard to breathe, but honestly before that kick Holloway looked way too fast for him. Holloway looked too fast and skill levels above from the first seconds..

Saying "Gaethje got screwed'' is ridiculous lol... he lost to a better fighter. Gaethje is 8-5 in UFC lol and even some of his wins he was close to losing and out on his feet. Holloway is much more proven and a long time champion and has a much better record. He is too fast and accurate for Gaethje, who is sloppy. Gaethje is a fun fighter to watch and he is exciting, but we have to be real he can be sloppy. Holloway is the better skilled fighter and very sharp and accurate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back