i live in miami and im not evacuating during hurricane irma..ask me anything

My landlord just came back with a notice for immediate evacuation by 5pm tomorrow.
the citys going to shut the power off in my zone. this is an absolute nightmare at this point, me and my dog are headed up to tampa in my landlords honda crv tommrow morning, luckily its good on gas, i also had a full tank which we're going too syphon tomorrow morning,

What a nightmare, im left packing everything that i don't want to get destroyed tonight, which means im accepting defeat on the house and allot of my extra belongings and pretty much expecting the worst, i didn't want to believe it.

Fuck all my years here i have never been kicked out of my house for a hurricane.

Why dont you stay man?

Is there like a subculture of extreme athletes that will try and surf, or kayak, or wind surf, and take waverunners out into the hurricane?

Irma defeats Bermuda via Triangle choke rd 1

Sure, you'll survive. Except your power's out, your house is trashed, and it's flooded. What's the advantage to staying? Are you guys so poor that you can't afford to take an impromptu vacation for a few days? You'd rather live with no electricity off canned goods as opposed to kicking it at a cheap hotel or friends house?

Good area that won't be close to the eye. Sure heavy rain and strong winds will be dealt with but when don't we go through that. Power goes out? Fuck it. We got plenty to survive and worst case it will be perhaps a week without it. So far things look good at least for us.

Is there like a subculture of extreme athletes that will try and surf, or kayak, or wind surf, and take waverunners out into the hurricane?

I'm looking to maybe run out for a bit and recreate the patriotic thrasher that went viral though I don't got an American flag that big. I got till Sunday to think of something.

giphy.gif

I live up in Weston so I'd like to think I'm insulated a bit. I'm on the third floor of a condominium so flooding won't be an issue but I'm on a golf course so there isn't a whole lot between my unit and quite a bit of open range for wind and debris. If there's any tornadoes I'm pretty much fucked because literally every room in my unit has an exterior wall and either a yuge window or sliding glass door

I live up in Weston so I'd like to think I'm insulated a bit. I'm on the third floor of a condominium so flooding won't be an issue but I'm on a golf course so there isn't a whole lot between my unit and quite a bit of open range for wind and debris. If there's any tornadoes I'm pretty much fucked because literally every room in my unit has an exterior wall and either a yuge window or sliding glass door

Board it up.

Good area that won't be close to the eye. Sure heavy rain and strong winds will be dealt with but when don't we go through that. Power goes out? Fuck it. We got plenty to survive and worst case it will be perhaps a week without it. So far things look good at least for us.

I'm looking to maybe run out for a bit and recreate the patriotic thrasher that went viral though I don't got an American flag that big. I got till Sunday to think of something.

How the fuck do you know you won't be close to the eye? No one on the planet knows exactly where the eye will go.

You'll be lucky if you lose power for a week. I'm in S. Fla too and if our power goes out for only a week, that's huge win.

Board it up.
Shutters won't stop a tornado. So if there's tornadoes, I'm fucked regardless. That was the thing about Hurricane Andrew in the 90s, tornadoes like fell out of the storm and proceeded to rip through the city. You'd see areas where one house would be pretty much intact and the very next adjacent house would be completely demolished

Hey guys, irma looks to hit miami (where i live) this is the strongest atlantic hurricane in history, are any of you soflo bros not going to evacuate?

My family lives in california, my girlfriend has evacuated out of state yesterday to her parents house (i hate her parents), and i told her it would be best if i stayed and held down the fort.

Honestly im getting a little freaked out after hearing 90 percent of the buildings in bermuda were destroyed, my house is brick and my windows are going to be covered by plywood.
I have plenty of water, my car will be jacked up on bricks just incase of flooding, and allot of raw food just incase power goes out.

It's me, my roommate and my dog (i also bought a extra large bag of dog food)
My roomate has been thinking about driving north ahead of the storm, which would leave me alone with my dog.

Now as far as evacuating goes, i have nowhere to go, and i don't want my house to get looted right after the Storm hits ( happens ALL the time to people around here)

I don't have many options at this point, so i accepted the fact that im going to hold down the fort, and go down with the ship if need be (there's also a giant oak tree that hangs over my house from my neighbors yard, i knocked on his door yesterday and it looks as if he left, i tied a rope around the main branch and have it attached very tightly to another branch so if it snaps it should in theory be dragged away from my house)

Hope everyones safe during the storm, wish me luck bros, im going out like a solider.

Are you planning to keep all your windows fully sealed? If so don't. Check which direction the winds coming from and keep a window open on the opposite side. Otherwise the roof pressurises and you can lose it. We do that and open up the manhole to the roof and no probs.

If the Oaks sound it may be a god send as large deep rooted trees can make very good wind brakes.

Best of luck and make sure you and your neighbors don't have crap lying around the yard or loose fence pickets. Have spare batteries, candles, food/water and an impossible to kill radio. It's fun if you're prepared.

Shutters won't stop a tornado. So if there's tornadoes, I'm fucked regardless. That was the thing about Hurricane Andrew in the 90s, tornadoes like fell out of the storm and proceeded to rip through the city. You'd see areas where one house would be pretty much intact and the very next adjacent house would be completely demolished

Those are mesovortices, not tornadoes.

Are you planning to keep all your windows fully sealed? If so don't. Check which direction the winds coming from and keep a window open on the opposite side. Otherwise the roof pressurises and you can lose it. We do that and open up the manhole to the roof and no probs.

If the Oaks sound it may be a god send as large deep rooted trees can make very good wind brakes.

Best of luck and make sure you and your neighbors don't have crap lying around the yard or loose fence pickets. Have spare batteries, candles, food/water and an impossible to kill radio. It's fun if you're prepared.

That's a horrible idea in a hurricane. You do that and it's guaranteed your roof will come off.

That's a horrible idea in a hurricane. You do that and it's guaranteed your roof will come off.

OK whatever you say. Your eves open to the outside of the house. You fully close up the house you have. 200km an hour wind forcing it's way it your roof pressurising it. Doing what I said is a way to reduce the pressure stopping it from building up against the roofing material.

Might be remembering wrong as its been a while since our family has been through one but over my life I've been through 3 or 4 and we've never lost a roof.

How the fuck do you know you won't be close to the eye?

From the track so far. Could change but either way I'm not shook. If it comes, it comes.

So long as my family is good and safe, we'll manage with or without power for however long.

All the best for the rest of my fellow Floridians. Irma is just another hurricane we all got to deal with.

Back