I miss expensive and high budget single player games like RDR2

I loved RDR2. Played it 2x b7t stopped once the John missions start. Didnt know if it was worth it to keep going

Games like RDR2 are stupid expensive to make nowadays (its budget was anywhere from $370 mil to $540 mil). 25 years ago, people thought it was crazy like $20 mil was spent on FF7. Then a few years later Sega dropped like $100 mil on Shenmue.

Those figures are fucking astronomical. I wonder how much of it is marketing?

I actually played it almost to completion thinking it would pick up. Then i woke up one morning and put the disc in my PS4 and i remember thinking "i don't even want to play this so why am i?". I traded it in the next day.

If people like it that's fine, each to their own, but it always confuses me when people say it's the pinnacle of single player games.
Is the open world fun to explore.

Publishers play it too safe these days because gamers have become rabid, entitled, unforgiving, and demanding.
I was actually just thinking this about the release of Tower of Fantasy. It looks like a perfectly good game being offered for nothing but everyone is spoiled for choice with Genshin Impact and any other free game that people just roll their eyes at it.

I thought the gun play wasn't to bad and enjoyed it. The characters like you said though were boring. The worst part is there was fun to be had in that game they just made those moments so far and few between that it wasn't a fun game. I played the game for a while trying to wait for it to pick up and finally just said enough and gave up.

I would legitimately like to know what you people consider good characters. Mass Effect 2(and the like) has an amazing cast, but it's centered entirely around you. they're basically character set pieces that are completely inorganic.

Last edited:
I enjoyed RDR1. Not as much as any of the GTA games, but fun. But man, something just went sideways with RDR2. Like everything seemed way harder, but not in a good way. Like it just felt awkward to play while the first controlled really well.

Yeah I first started to change into MMO with Ultima Onlime back in the day. I had so much fun. Also some Diablo, WOW (early days) and a few other games like city of heroes. Had some good memories.

Then things changed. There's like pro players who get level 324 with elite super duper ultra tier 47 gear within 5 minutes of the games being played and you just can't compete with them.
Then there's all the pay to win bullshit. Fuck that. I'm not grinding. It's not fun.
Basically everything just kinda feels generic.

Make single player games great again!
Or at least give us Diablo mobile part 2, right blizzard?

I enjoyed RDR1. Not as much as any of the GTA games, but fun. But man, something just went sideways with RDR2. Like everything seemed way harder, but not in a good way. Like it just felt awkward to play while the first controlled really well.
Yeah I really liked RDR1 and the undead nightmare stuff.
Rdr2 was a drag. The entire game felt like work.

Games like RDR2 are stupid expensive to make nowadays (its budget was anywhere from $370 mil to $540 mil). 25 years ago, people thought it was crazy like $20 mil was spent on FF7. Then a few years later Sega dropped like $100 mil on Shenmue.
Isnt that the reason Half Life 3 will never be made?

Yessir. Loved the first so much and the way they mucked up the second was so very disappointing. They made EVERY Single thing you do, just plain laborious. Everything was slow to do. Why? FFS why? There was absolutely no reason to make you have to hold down every button to do anything. To walk so slow and make you feel like you’re constantly moving around in mud.

Compared to the first, it was just so damn cumbersome to play.

Yes! You can spend hours and not play a single mission. Hunting, fishing, getting robbed, enjoying the scenery.. fuck I think I'll start another playthrough!

I would say about 80% or more of my playtime is exploring, riding around hunting and fishing. I enjoy the world more than the stories or missions honestly.

Nah that's just Gabe being lazy and swimming in money from Steam.

I read something that made me kind of sad the other day. Activision made more on that Diablo mobile game travesty than it did on all its other games combined since it released. Why bother making an awesome epic game when you can just make a pay to win loot box game and suckers will buy into it.

But as others have pointed out, there are always some being made and RDR 2 is not the best or most recent example

RDR2 is my favourite game. I get all the criticisms, the game just isn’t for those people. You really have to embrace the pace to appreciate this game, I’d spend days doing absolutely nothing related to the storyline and enjoyed the shit out of it. I get that is a big ask to basically not play the game but it was worth it for me. Loved getting high and exploring, it’s fkin huge.

And yep, give me more please.

Nah that's just Gabe being lazy and swimming in money from Steam.

Valves makes games to advance the medium. They have zero interest in releasing sequels that dont achieve this. As a game developer with a popular digital storefront this gives them that luxury.

Valves makes games to advance the medium. They have zero interest in releasing sequels that dont achieve this. As a game developer with a popular digital storefront this gives them that luxury.
They could at least do an E3 by now, especially after they retroactively changed how E2 ended in the Alyx VR game.

<34>

How often you really want to play exactly similar games? Games like RDR2 take a lot of time to create and RDR2 is not event that old. Neither is Witcher 3 to be honest.

After those, we've already got Elden Ring, Ghost Of Tsushima and Cyperpunk 2077 (it's a good AAA game nowadays, believe it or not). Also you got games like Metro Exodus which is huge and amazing looking.

Loved getting high and exploring, it’s fkin huge.

This is what I thought I would get into also but I just didn't. I didn't enjoy it. Games like Fallout though I love doing exactly that. Just walking around destroyed cities and walking into some random building it was fun as hell.

I would say RDR2, TOU2, Spider-Man, God Of War, Horizon ZD and FB are all good examples of some of the terrific high budget games we've had in the last few years.

I also think with the patches so far Cyberpunk 2077 feels not far off either.

Back