I need a TV Series recommendation... Something good but off the beaten path v.2

Idk if it has been mentioned already, but Rectify is exceptional. Terriers is pretty great as well, alas there was only one season. Flight of the Conchords is a good off-beat kind of nonsense.

I started the first thread for Rectify but failed to get much attention. Brilliant show.

Flight was a gas. Liked Terriers too.

I've been watching Strange Angel and... I don't know if I can recommend it unless you are interested in the real life story its based on. Its about Jack Parsons and the founding of JPL. I'm enjoying it enough so far, but its more campy than I would have preferred for this particular story. Then again, considering the subject matter, maybe that approach is best.

Will check it out, thanks.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
It's old but way better than every Terminator movie since T2

If you’re open to Westerns, I highly recommend Godless. The first episode or two are a little slow as they introduce the character, but it is well worth it.

Also, if you haven’t seen it yet- Cobra Kai is fantastic as well.

Altered Carbon

Gomorrah season 3 should be coming out in USA soon.

When is Narcos, The Last Kingdom, coming back on Netflix

Also Vikings is coming back soon

Didn't we already do this thread where it was pretty much agreed, after 50 pages of recomendations, that you have already seen everything worth a damn. On a serious note, your best bet is watching foreign series.

Didn't we already do this thread where it was pretty much agreed, after 50 pages of recomendations, that you have already seen everything worth a damn. On a serious note, your best bet is watching foreign series.

I've been given some great recommendations in these threads.

Also, they get people talking about less obvious shows.

One Punch Man. Subtitled version.

I've been given some great recommendations in these threads.

Also, they get people talking about less obvious shows.

What would you say are the best series you got recommended on here? I need a new series but can't seem to find anything worth while.

I just binge watched The Wire for the first time. It's one of those shows i always hear that "you must watch", in the same vein as shows like Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Overall, i liked it. But i do think it's pretty overrated. There were a lot of characters that i enjoyed. I loved Omar. He was an interesting character. But there felt like something was missing..
i didnt like how the series ended. The overall storyline being pushed by Lester and McNoughlty just felt like it didn't belong in the show. But overall, good show. Worth the watch.

I was pretty surprised by the amount of actors i recognized from the show as well.

I checked out this show "Kiss Me First" on Netflix. Thought it was some lame lesbo drama, by it's screen cap. Read up on it a bit and gave it a shot. I haven't seen the movie, but the show seems like an R-rated version of "Ready Player One" of sorts. It's all about this VR game with endless possibilities, that everyone is playing. You find out that there's this group of players inside the game, that is run somewhat like a cult, and it's leader recruits specific mindsets to enter the group, and the main character gets recruited and starts finding out that all is not as it seems.

Now, it's not a perfect show by any means, but it's totally watchable, and has some intense moments, and the idea behind the game being used as a fucked up cult recruitment tool, is interesting and well realized in the show. Also, the CGI used to bring the game world to life, is really impressive for a TV Show.

Not a must watch or anything, but if you're looking for something a bit different, it's worth a watch. It's only six episodes too, so it won't take up much of your time.

What would you say are the best series you got recommended on here? I need a new series but can't seem to find anything worth while.

Probably Romanzo Criminale. Or The Detectorists.

I'm not saying these are the subjective best, but they're the ones that resonated the most with me. One's an Italian crime drama (in Italian) and the other is a quaint British comedy, so it's hard to recommend them, although I consider them both to be brilliant.

You watch Anime loiosh? It could be the final frontier of amazing you haven't already seen.

I just binge watched The Wire for the first time. It's one of those shows i always hear that "you must watch", in the same vein as shows like Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Overall, i liked it. But i do think it's pretty overrated. There were a lot of characters that i enjoyed. I loved Omar. He was an interesting character. But there felt like something was missing..
i didnt like how the series ended. The overall storyline being pushed by Lester and McNoughlty just felt like it didn't belong in the show. But overall, good show. Worth the watch.

I was pretty surprised by the amount of actors i recognized from the show as well.

I consider it to be on par with the Sopranos, and a solid tier above Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad is much more entertaining and revels in giving the fans exactly what they want every single time but as a result the storytelling suffers. It has a smaller, tighter cast and most of the acting is absolutely fantastic, but it failed to make the hard choices when they presented and always leaned towards keeping fan favorites popular.

The Wire, on the other hand, almost always made choices that served the story and "kept it real". Omar was the one exception for this rule as his massive popularity kept his character alive much longer than had been originally intended and afforded him a much larger role than first written. In the end, though, his arc ended the only way that realistically made sense. Most people who didn't love The Wire had Omar as a favorite and hated the way he died.

The Wire suffered with the writer's strike which crippled season five, although the season did serviceably end most of the story-lines. If you remove the serial killer line the season is still great, and I loved the media angle. Think about how it prophecised the days we're living in, where the veracity of sources is ignored because the competition for readership is so fierce.

Last edited:
I checked out this show "Kiss Me First" on Netflix. Thought it was some lame lesbo drama, by it's screen cap. Read up on it a bit and gave it a shot. I haven't seen the movie, but the show seems like an R-rated version of "Ready Player One" of sorts. It's all about this VR game with endless possibilities, that everyone is playing. You find out that there's this group of players inside the game, that is run somewhat like a cult, and it's leader recruits specific mindsets to enter the group, and the main character gets recruited and starts finding out that all is not as it seems.

Now, it's not a perfect show by any means, but it's totally watchable, and has some intense moments, and the idea behind the game being used as a fucked up cult recruitment tool, is interesting and well realized in the show. Also, the CGI used to bring the game world to life, is really impressive for a TV Show.

Not a must watch or anything, but if you're looking for something a bit different, it's worth a watch. It's only six episodes too, so it won't take up much of your time.

Will check it out, thanks.

I consider it to be on par with the Sopranos, and a solid tier above Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad is much more entertaining and revels in giving the fans exactly what they want every single time but as a result the storytelling suffers. It has a smaller, tighter cast and most of the acting is absolutely fantastic, but it failed to make the hard choices when they presented and always leaned towards keeping fan favorites popular.

The Wire, on the other hand, almost always made choices that served the story and "kept it real". Omar was the one exception for this rule as his massive popularity kept his character alive much longer than had been originally intended and afforded him a much larger role than first written. In the end, though, his arc ended the only way that realistically made sense. Most people who didn't love The Wire had Omar as a favorite and hated the way he died.

The Wire suffered with the writer's strike which crippled season five, although the season did service ably end most of the story-lines. If you remove the serial killer line the season is still great, and I loved the media angle. Think about how it prophecised the days we're living in, where the veracity of sources is ignored because the competition for readership is so fierce.
Interesting take.
I loved Breaking Bad, but i dont know how i would stack it against Wire. I liked them for different reasons. I haven't watched The Sopranos yet still...maybe that'll be my next watch

I agree though. With the Wire, there was a story to be told, and with the exception of Omar, no one felt safe. It did put 'keeping it real' over fan service. I was pretty surprised how suddenly some of the characters died.

I actually didn't have an issue with how Omar got got. I would have liked him to have gotten his revenge, but that was a realistic death he got.

I wasn't a fan of the serial killer storyline, but i think a big part of that was 'the wire' part of the show was interesting to me. I enjoyed watching Lester and crew try and figure out what codes meant, and trying to get the criminals on the phone. We didn't really get much of that in the last season.

I guess my big complaint with the show was just that i wanted more. I could have watched a whole new show on Stringer as the businessman, or Avon as the prison boss, or anything with Omar, or even Boadie.
It is also great to finally see and understand where a bunch of gifs I've always seen on the internetz came from
<TheWire1>

Back