Social I think I'm quitting the gym

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
Weight lifting has played a massive part of my life - for the past 23 years, I have dedicated myself to the routine of going to the gym, and at my peak, I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter. At one point, I weighed 293lbs and had tried virtually every steroid under the sun.

I recently turned 39, and I've noticed that my passion for training has fallen off a cliff. I use to get so excited to go to the gym - it was a social hub and my "happy place", but over the years it has become an inconvenience - something I have to do in order to look a certain way. Because of some pretty severe injuries, I'm in constant pain, and the lifts I used to love to do (bench, OHP, squat) I can no longer do. I'm still "strong", but I find myself navigating towards machines and full body workouts.

As of now, I am about 235lbs, still on a mild cycle, and training 3-4 days per week. My plan as I enter my 40s is to switch over to TRT, drop to 200lbs, and just focus on being really lean - I have a decent amount of equipment at home, and will try and focus on lifting for general muscle maintenance and some mobility.

This is actually a surprisingly difficult decision to make, as for my entire adult life, I was known as the "big guy", and so much of my identity was tied to my physical appearance. The last real "cycle" I did was back in the late summer (I stacked Tren and Superdrol), and I felt like absolute garbage), When I was in my 20s and early 30s I could get away with taking anything, but now, I just can't endure the abuse/toxicity.

I know there are alot of other lifters on here, and I would love to hear your thoughts as to how you transitioned you training and approach as you got older.

Weight lifting has played a massive part of my life - for the past 23 years, I have dedicated myself to the routine of going to the gym, and at my peak, I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter. At one point, I weighed 293lbs and had tried virtually every steroid under the sun.

I recently turned 39, and I've noticed that my passion for training has fallen off a cliff. I use to get so excited to go to the gym - it was a social hub and my "happy place", but over the years it has become an inconvenience - something I have to do in order to look a certain way. Because of some pretty severe injuries, I'm in constant pain, and the lifts I used to love to do (bench, OHP, squat) I can no longer do. I'm still "strong", but I find myself navigating towards machines and full body workouts.

As of now, I am about 235lbs, still on a mild cycle, and training 3-4 days per week. My plan as I enter my 40s is to switch over to TRT, drop to 200lbs, and just focus on being really lean - I have a decent amount of equipment at home, and will try and focus on lifting for general muscle maintenance and some mobility.

This is actually a surprisingly difficult decision to make, as for my entire adult life, I was known as the "big guy", and so much of my identity was tied to my physical appearance. The last real "cycle" I did was back in the late summer (I stacked Tren and Superdrol), and I felt like absolute garbage), When I was in my 20s and early 30s I could get away with taking anything, but now, I just can't endure the abuse/toxicity.

I know there are alot of other lifters on here, and I would love to hear your thoughts as to how you transitioned you training and approach as you got older.
I went from bodybuilding to powerlifting and now kettlebells/clubs/maces. It's normal to get bored and switch it up. Thankfully I have everything I need to train at home so if I wake up and choose to squat or deadlift, I can.

I'm back at the gym after quitting in March due to an illness going around.

Basically, I told myself that I was going to run along the river and use an outdoor gym (not the epic American Miami Beach ones, the shit Surrey ones for old biddies), to do bodyweight exercises. I quickly lost interest though, due to poor weather and the gym being filled with little kids, despite there being two playgrounds already in the park.

I'm enjoying it so far. I use machines for my chest and shoulders, a barbell for my biceps, a kettle bell for my shoulders and I also do chin ups and a mile run.

I was off for a few weeks though, and I've just returned to work. I'm wondering if I can keep it up...

Pretty much exactly what you have planned. Lifted and trained various martial arts my whole life but without the roids. Hit my 40's (44 now) and the injuries have started adding up, I still work out 3-4 times a week at home but so many workarounds because I just can't do what I used to through all the fucked up body parts. I am thinking of cutting this down to 2-3 times a week to minimise wear on my body, once I lost this last 5lbs to get to 190.

Currently about 195 and pretty lean at 6'1. I find that 50/50 weights/cardio makes me feel the best and allows me to have plenty of energy. I only do about 20'ish sets total for a whole body workout.

If I have to go onto TRT one day to allow me to continue to live an active life, I will but not in any hurry.

Finally you saw the light...
Just stick to calisthenics and isometric training
Healthier for your body longterm, and in my opinion builds more functional strength and power anyway

Hey dude, yeah facing all this myself now. Only done one cycle, but have supplemented with peptides etc. I'm 45 and having to face I can't play football any longer. I'm going to give it a season because the team I started has just been promoted.

But injuries stick around now, I don't have the gym time with work and family, and I'll be facing tanks half my age.

I've already dropped from 127kg to 113.2kg in the last couple of years and it's likely I've got more to drop. I've taken up fencing, I want to do more cardio but haven't found the thing yet.

I'm kinda lucky I'm 6'6" so I'll always be the big guy even if I'm not stacked, even so I'll still be trying to keep some of it. I deadlift 282kg, I really want to do 300, but getting lighter it's probably beyond me. I think a 2 sessions a week bench/squat and military press/deadlift is where I'm at, with little accessory work. Like you I'm going to focus on getting lean.

Ain't no way about it man, gonna die at some point.

go ahead and quit then. I predict in short order you will be ready to start up again though

I just realised I have missed out on the opportunity all these years to call you Dr. Deadlift.

Jim Wendler squatted 1,000lbs in gear, but in his own words, "I couldn't really do anything with that strength except waddle up to the mono-lift". He lost weight, changed his training and eventually developed the 5/3/1 Program.

Wendler hasn't touched a barbell in at least a couple of years. He had reached the stage where he had accumulated so many injuries he couldn't push himself in training with free weights. So he now trains Calisthenics with a Weight Vest exclusively. Wendler says this allows him to challenge himself in training while remaining healthy.

So yeah, your training will evolve over time as you age. Doesn't mean you can't train. It just means you have to work smart as well as hard.

Good luck.

I feel like training will always be a part of your life in some capacity

Nobody ever really "quits" lifting

But the only constant in life is change

Perhaps you're just being called to focus more energy and time on something else. A new passion or social hub.

I enjoy the gym & running outdoors in my nature area. (Not in city) .

Gym provides that stimulus to get better among other fit people you know.
Met better relationships all aspects in gym than other avenues (anecdotally) imo.

I’m 44 & kicking ass. I’m better/fitter overall now than earlier in my life.

That said, u know your stuff & path so good luck Holmes.

Last edited:
I'm 38 and did the same thing a couple years ago. I lift more for performance twice a week (cleans, deadlifts, squats, dips, pushups), agility/flexibility drills twice a week, walk a ton, and stopped eating as much but being more calculated with what I'm eating (cook 99% of my own food). Lost a good amount of muscle but walk around at 10% body fat year round and feel a million times better than I did when I was lifting seriously.

Highly recommended. Blood work is much better as well.

Hey, changing things up is not a bad idea at all TS. I'm sure you will find your groove again.

In my case, I also used to be the big guy- never used steroids but did LOTS of supplements. I got sick and couldn't exercise for a long time. When I finally got back into it, I wasn't nearly as strong as I once was, but I kept at it and stayed away from the supplements. A little over a year later I am in better shape than I have ever been, yet I still can't lift what I used to.. but I don't really care.

I only spend about 30-40 minutes at the gym. 2 minutes between sets, tops, then move quickly from exercise to exercise. All natty and happy as hell.

Back