If Dustin Poirier retired today do you think he's worthy of the HOF?

He has been top 2 or 3 in a very stacked LW division for years which IMO is greater than being a champion of a lesser division for 6 months, big time! With all of the champions that could not defend in virtually any other weight category, if they are in then Dustin should be.

Nah. Cowboy at least had/competed for a record of fights or wins. What has Poirier done?

Poirier has beaten 3 UFC LW champs and 2 FW champs. He also has wins over a UFC interim/undefeated WSOF champ, 2 Bellator LW champs and a WEC champ (note these overlap for some guys and are not counted twice below).

That's 6 champions on his resume, 4 being full UFC champions. His record overall vs champs of major organisations is 8-4.

Cowboy has beaten 3 UFC LW champs and two WEC champs (again this overlaps). His record overall vs champs of major organisations is 4-11.

There's a clear difference there. Cowboy fought a lot of top guys but lost nearly 3/4 vs them. Dustin on the other hand won 2/3 fights vs this top competition and was an interim champ himself.

Dustin was a much more consistent fighter vs top competition.

He has been top 2 or 3 in a very stacked LW division for years which IMO is greater than being a champion of a lesser division for 6 months, big time! With all of the champions that could not defend in virtually any other weight category, if they are in then Dustin should be.

Too bad he was in a so-called lesser division too (FW) and still didn't win anything.

Charles Oliveira didn't win anything too in the so-called lesser divisions but at least win something in the LW division.

Nah. Cowboy at least had/competed for a record of fights or wins. What has Poirier done?

lol pointless stats. Anyone putting Cowboy above Dustin is a joke of a mma "fan".

Most wins.

According to wikipedia Jim Miller has the most wins.

By the way Donald has 23 and Dustin has 21.

Maybe we should count who has more losses? Yeah Donald has more than twice the number of losses that Dustin has.

Diving into the details a bit more, Cerrone is currently has the 4th MOST losses in the UFC at 14. Really puts his wins into perspective doesn't it.

Most UFC losses:

1Jeremy Stephens18
2Clay Guida16
=3Jim Miller15
=3Andrei Arlovski15
4Donald Cerrone14
=5Ross Pearson13
=5B.J. Penn13
=5Diego Sanchez13

I feel like Dustin is one of those borderline fighters for HOF. He's been in so many big and memorable fights and has a few great wins to his name. But he's never won the real title and got dominated in both of his title shots for the real belt. I would be tempted to vote yes because he was so entertaining in his career, but I totally would understand why others would vote no.

Dustin Poirier

Notable wins: Holloway 2x, Conor 2x, Chandler, Alvarez, Gaethje, Pettis.

Accomplishments: Interim LW champion. 15 fight night bonuses.
I’d allow it on the basis of the embarrassment he caused Conor and his fanboys.

Aren't guys like Jim Miller and Clay Guida in the HOF?

Back