If Dustin Poirier retired today do you think he's worthy of the HOF?

well said. I agree - he's right on the border to HOF or even legend-of-the-sport territory, but just isnt quite there, IMO.

He's had some spectacular moments, and has wins over some of the best and losses to only the elites... he's been around forever and he's still dangerous... but... he just isn't quite there.

Lack of a title reign, I think. I think if he had won and defended the title even once, he'd probably be there.

Wtf is a Hall of Fame? Is there even a hall? Dustin's badass. I think I'll remember his fights until I'm an old man.

Reactions: TR1
According to wikipedia Jim Miller has the most wins.

By the way Donald has 23 and Dustin has 21.

Maybe we should count who has more losses? Yeah Donald has more than twice the number of losses that Dustin has.

Diving into the details a bit more, Cerrone is currently has the 4th MOST losses in the UFC at 14. Really puts his wins into perspective doesn't it.

Most UFC losses:

1Jeremy Stephens18
2Clay Guida16
=3Jim Miller15
=3Andrei Arlovski15
4Donald Cerrone14
=5Ross Pearson13
=5B.J. Penn13
=5Diego Sanchez13

Yeah but Jim kept fighting and winning after Cerrone retired. When he finished his career, I think he had the record for most wins and most finishes (or ko/tko?) in UFC history from memory.

It can be argued both ways.

I hope Dustin wins his next fight and gets another shot at the title before retiring. LW is not going to be the same without him or Justin.

His title fights losses are to Khabib and Charles, two goats of the division and two guys that he had in serious trouble before ultimately being submitted. If he had been in contention before conor got the belt and derailed the division for years, he absolutely would’ve been champ. Probably with a couple defenses too. So yeah HOF for sure.

I certainly think he has had a phenomenal career, but it's hard to take it the HOF seriously when Frank Shamrock still isn't even in it. I honestly don't know at this point what the UFC looks for when considering HOF fighters. Poirier's resume sure is great, that's for sure.

His title fights losses are to Khabib and Charles, two goats of the division and two guys that he had in serious trouble before ultimately being submitted. If he had been in contention before conor got the belt and derailed the division for years, he absolutely would’ve been champ. Probably with a couple defenses too. So yeah HOF for sure.
His choke attempt against Khabib was dangerously close, as hard as it is to believe.

According to wikipedia Jim Miller has the most wins.

By the way Donald has 23 and Dustin has 21.

Maybe we should count who has more losses? Yeah Donald has more than twice the number of losses that Dustin has.

This might be the dumbest argument i have ever seen on here. Yeah dumbass Donald has more losses because he literally has exactly twice the amount of fights Dustin has. Go out in the rain and there is a good chance you're gonna get wet. If you fight twice as much as someone else that increases your chances of losing more times. The only way this argument could have any legs at all is if they had a similar amount of fights. What a stupid post by you. lmao

Yeah but Jim kept fighting and winning after Cerrone retired. When he finished his career, I think he had the record for most wins and most finishes (or ko/tko?) in UFC history from memory.

Either way, Jim and Donald are both near the top of the list for most wins and also most losses. Losing a bunch along with winning a bunch is mediocre.

Point is Dustin is ahead of them both as far as accomplishments.

I wouldn't nominate him myself, but if the hall of fame is ever injured, I'd nominate him for the interim hall of fame.

The UFC HOF is a joke. We can start talking about it being less of one when Frank Shamrock and Tim Sylvia get in.

With that being said, if we're letting in Faber, Serra, etc, then Poirier should probably get in too.

No. It should be reserved for great fighters, not good fighters. I realize it isn't that way in the UFC HOF, but it should be. In this day and age especially, one-dimensional fighters should not be allowed in. Any top grappler would beat him from anytime after the mid-90s.

Poirier holds some records as well, you cowboy fans

Nah. Cowboy at least had/competed for a record of fights or wins. What has Poirier done?
Not that Conor is some great win but he shut that clown up and did wonders for everyone when he KTFO Conor, HoF worthy.

If he won the BMF title this wouldn’t be a discussion.

100% he is. Dude's the former interim champion and put on brutal fights. Definitely "paid" his "dues" and obviously deserves to be in the HOF.

I'm not aware of a single boring Dustin Poirier fight, maybe someone can correct me, the guy is literally must watch against anyone and always brings it, and he's doing that at a high level, not against cans, he 100% deserves it imo

Maybe so, but since I'm a sherdogger I'm programmed to actually hate the fighters who fight hard; and especially ones who fight for finishes and really leave it all in the octagon.
More hate points for men/women who've been around the top of their division for the better part of a decade and go to decision in <1/3 of their fights.

So no, he doesn't deserve the HOF.

Back