If I had to eat one cuisine for the rest of my life I would choose…

I was out Iquitos way so I didn't see much like that. I heard there was deep fried Guinea pig but I think that was out near Cusco. So yeah, looks like I missed out.

You missed out big time. Peru has won this one publication's Leading Culinary Destination like 7 of the last 9 years or something

https://www.worldtravelawards.com/award-worlds-leading-culinary-destination-2021

Lima has 2 of the top 10 restaurants in the world for 2023, including #1

https://www.theworlds50best.com/the-list/1-10/central.html

I said it once and I'll say it again, Mediterranean is the goat. In flavours, variety and health.

Dang, you had ceviche de conchas negras. That's some advanced level Peruvian eating.

Respect
I used to travel to Peru a lot for work, so I would go out with local coworkers , so we would go to real ass places not the tourist trap places.

Barring the blended-nation type ones (America) which is kind of cheating, I'd go with French. Northern France has the heavier northern Euro style cooking, the south has lighter Mediterranean style cooking, they have a wide variety of seafood, cured meats and sausages, they are legendary for their desserts, cheeses, pastries, breads, and their liquor selection is second to none. French cuisine isn't even my favourite at any given time, usually but it's a really complete package, and a spectacular mixture of variety and quality. Pretty much every nation I've seen listed here has great strong points - some very strong points - but lacks in some major area that France is strong in. I can't think of any non-modern nation whose cuisine is even close to having the wide variety that France does. Strong point against it though is limited use of spice - as in, heat - compared to other nations.

Last edited:
I assume most people saying Thai are thinking of their local Thai.

Thai gov has a program which deploys people around the world to open restaurants and they have 3 set menus, it's why most Thai restaurants are so similar.

The options available at those places are rarely or never eaten in Thailand, for example coconut rice and pad thai.

Real Thai food I wouldn't stick to just because of how unhealthy it is, but some of the northern dishes like Khao Soi can be really good cheat food. It's all loaded with fat sugar and sodium though.

I used to travel to Peru a lot for work, so I would go out with local coworkers , so we would go to real ass places not the tourist trap places.

Nice.

What's your fav spot in Lima?

You missed out big time. Peru has won this one publication's Leading Culinary Destination like 7 of the last 9 years or something

https://www.worldtravelawards.com/award-worlds-leading-culinary-destination-2021

Lima has 2 of the top 10 restaurants in the world for 2023, including #1

https://www.theworlds50best.com/the-list/1-10/central.html

lol, I was in the jungle eating chicken and rice three times a day. Sometimes with some cooked plantains. On one occasion I was sitting in a poncho in the rain eating chicken and rice lol. I wasn't big on fish at the time. The guide joked that I was going to start growing feathers from all the chicken I was eating.

Last edited:
Maybe that wasn't there then. It is an impressive looking place. Definitely noted for when I go back.
I wanna say they were still building the pool the first time I ate there, in like 2008. Somewhere between 8-10 iirc.

It used to be hard AF to get there. Had to find someone with a boat.

Now they have boat taxis that will take you there.

It’s literally IN the river. Can‘t drive there.

I wanna say they were still building the pool the first time I ate there, in like 2008. Somewhere between 8-10 iirc.

It used to be hard AF to get there. Had to find someone with a boat.

Now they have boat taxis that will take you there.

It’s literally IN the river. Can‘t drive there.

Yeah I saw the photos, it looks great. I was there in 2014, I never heard about it.

Italian has everything.

You could even just have meat and veg Italian style if you wished..

It has carpaccio, which could be a substitute for sashimi if you're into that.. it also has noodle dishes.

Also can be quite fresh / healthy.

Definitely Italian.

Good ol' American BBQ baby, and it's not even close. Fuck what y'all talm bout.

Does Argentina count? Best food I ever had was in Argentina. Steaks, empanadas, choripan, these really cool crustless sandwiches you buy by the square foot called sanwich de miga, dulce de leche, argentine style pizzas, super panchos, yerba mate, milanese (breaded veal cutlets)

Back